Have you ever eaten all your calories by lunchtime?

Options
2»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have started a "weekly average" goal so that I don't freak out and can just get in a long workout and low-cal day to balance it out. It works a lot better for me so I don't get discouraged and blow it up.

yes, I am starting this way too.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    In the past yes that's why my big butt is here lol. Now no. I already have my food planned out. Yesterday I ate what I wanted (ice cream and chocolate) and was still in my calorie goal.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had the experience of how a few poor choices can ruin an entire day's plan. I had to go to a workshop for my job. I ate a light breakfast before I went home (English muffin and grapefruit). Usually, this event has some breakfast food, fruit and pastry, but there was no fruit. I was fine until around 11:00, when I felt starved and woozy, so I ate a small muffin. Lunch was served at 1:00. I did choose a veggie wrap and some pasta salad (dressed in oil) but unfortunately, also a small bag of saltnvinegar chips (which I love) and a small cookie. When I went home and logged, I realized I had eaten all my calories for the entire day! Also because it was a busy day, I didn't have time for a workout other than a 30 minute walk. Moreover, I was going to the theater that night and met my daughter for dinner. I ate healthy -- Vegetable raw spring roll and a seafood pho -- but theoretically, I should have eaten nothing. Anyone had one of those days! It's one thing to actually have a cheat day that you enjoy, but this was downright depressing.

1200 calories = Short girl problems.

I never skip dinner. I'll end up binging the next day. If I'm over, I'm over and that's that. If I can make it up by the end of the week without starving myself, I'll do that.

The good news is that you are only over by 350 calories, which means that you were basically at maintenance for the day. And you learned something about catered lunch strategies - frankly I track but don't worry about calorie goals when I'm at all-day work events. There is only so much you can control and I don't have all day meetings that often.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    It's definitely happened to me. If I notice I'm over by mid-day, I plan for a very light dinner - egg whites with veggies, or a salad.

if I go over, there won't be any calorie left for dinner...
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" it is even harder to lose even 1/2lb a week because the deficit is so small. (I am that short as well)

To me that food looks like way more than 1288. English muffin (100+) muffin (200-400) veggie wrap (350) pasta salad (250) chips (200) cookie (100) spring rolls (200+) pho (300-600) was probably closer to a conservative estimate of 2000 calories that day. At a deficit of 250 cals a day you just essentially erased 4 days of making your goal.

Anyway, changing the type of foods you eat would help a lot. You eat a lot of carbs that don't keep you full for more than an hour or two. You need to add more protein to your diet. Get in some eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast, protein (chicken steak fish turkey beef anything!) and veggies for lunch and dinner.

Muffins are a killer. When I found out those AMAZING Costco muffins have 600 calories, I was sad.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    In the past yes that's why my big butt is here lol. Now no. I already have my food planned out. Yesterday I ate what I wanted (ice cream and chocolate) and was still in my calorie goal.

I agree... I planned out my half bottle of wine last night and still met my goal!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    pfft! I did today!

That's why I'm stuck on a 10lb weight loss. Five minutes ago I changed gyms. I will be able to go in the morning now before work. Let's see what happens.....
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    yes I hate that! Like you said if you'd enjoyed it it would be worth it. I had a day like that today. Had to double my excercise (just spread it out, I realize there's not always time for that) and I'm still over 200 cals over my daily allowance!
  • kathywygant
    kathywygant Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. As long as it's the exception & not the rule, everything will be fine. It's hard to keep control of the calories when you're having food that is provided for you/eating out. You may have blown your calories for the day, but you also made an effort with some smart/thoughtful choices too; & remember: Tomorrow is another day.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" it is even harder to lose even 1/2lb a week because the deficit is so small. (I am that short as well)

To me that food looks like way more than 1288. English muffin (100+) muffin (200-400) veggie wrap (350) pasta salad (250) chips (200) cookie (100) spring rolls (200+) pho (300-600) was probably closer to a conservative estimate of 2000 calories that day. At a deficit of 250 cals a day you just essentially erased 4 days of making your goal.

Anyway, changing the type of foods you eat would help a lot. You eat a lot of carbs that don't keep you full for more than an hour or two. You need to add more protein to your diet. Get in some eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast, protein (chicken steak fish turkey beef anything!) and veggies for lunch and dinner.

Muffins are a killer. When I found out those AMAZING Costco muffins have 600 calories, I was sad.

This is even more depressing. 2000 calories and erasing 4 days of progress. The muffin was a small one, not one of those giant things like Costco's, but still 230 calories just to fill me up. I used the Aramark count because that was our caterer. I don't normally eat chips or cookies or even have them in my house. Typically, I don't eat as many carbs as I ate yesterday, but that's what there was, unless I ate a turkey and bacon sandwich. The mediteranean wrap had feta cheese, and I ate only a half wrap. The English muffin was a Fiber One 100 calorie, and I put high protein cream cheese on it. I don't eat eggs often for breakfast because of high cholesterol. The pho was chock full of seafood -- fish, scallops, and shrimp. Basically a noodle soup with seafood and lots of veggies, probably one of the healthier choices on the menu. But it's hard to count that accurately, of course.

Today I ate at home and actually had enough calories for two slices of veggie pizza, but I did "eat back" my 1 hour walk. Maybe I should stick to 1200 for the next 4 days and not "eat back" exercise calories, though, to make up for my overindulgence yesterday.