A question for the girls - do you exercise during your tom?

Options
I've been trying to force myself to exercise for a while now and I'm making a tiny bit of progress, I guess. However, I noticed that during my tom I feel a bit too sick and don't eat very well. That coupled with general fatigue and crappy-feelingness during the period just leaves me going 'meh, to hell with it'. Problem is, if I do skip a week and do nothing at all, it's so very hard to start exercising again. My usual 'exercise only consists of a 20-minute circuit, I'm not very fit :) I'm not new to weight loss, but I'm definitely new to exercising.

So would like to know if anyone else has got this issue and how do you deal with it?

Replies

• oChristyo
    oChristyo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always gain 7 pounds water weight during TOM. I use that time to exercise a little harder. That way it always feels good the next week when I am "down" 10 pounds.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My TOM is always so depressing, because I'll be screaming at the scale about being too high before I realize that it's just ... well, that TOM. I don't exercise much to be honest, I just do walking, yoga, cleaning, weights, etc. just to keep myself in motion, staying busy, because I hate exercising at the gym in the 'traditional' manner. So if you don't feel like you can handle that during TOM, maybe just go for walks or something? I know it makes me feel better to move around a little like that without overdoing it.

Just make sure that whatever you do you maintain your calorie deficit.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't I? Women have been having periods for centuries, nothing new. :huh:
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much mortal agony/nausea I am in. Obviously, if I'm about to hurl, not so much, but if I feel okay I just carry on.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    Options
    My TOM usually isnt too bad, only struggle the first couple of days with leg pains or back pains.. i dont push myself too hard then, go for a light workout so i dont break out of the habit of going to the gym or go for a stroll around the park to get a walk in. I tend to eat more comfort food though :/ thought it was just me.
    Best way is to just try to get through it, then check the damage and carry on (hopefully wont be that bad if you're not able to eat as much)
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    I never miss a work out because of TOM, I WANT to work out because I feel so much better after getting my sweat on!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would feel worse if I didn't exercise. It helps me with the fatigue. The scale is awful then so I avoid it and don't worry about it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps relieve my cramps. I get that it's hard to actually get going, but once you're going, you might actually feel better. If you're not up for circuits, just go for a walk. Nice and simple but still getting you moving!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for you girls that have awful periods. I don't get cramps, fatigue, cravings, bloating, mood swings, weight gain, etc. None of it. I've never taken a Midol in my life. So, yes, I definitely exercise during my period. Nothing at all is different during that time of the month except that I have to hide a tampon in my clothes every 4 hours on my way to the bathroom. I hardly even notice I have it otherwise.

For you, I say it would be a matter of just making yourself do it. There's no real reason not to exercise during your period, even if you do get all of the bad symptoms associated with it. That goes for eating as you normally would, too. Your period doesn't give you a free pass to just say f*** it and set yourself back in your weight loss.
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As strange as it is I always feel better when exercising. It eases the pain. I still hate cardio, but after the warm up I'm fine. I tend to eat or want to eat a bit more on the week before, but scientifically we do spend more energy as well during that time. As long as it's not over 90-150cals it's fine.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets very lethargic and agitated during her TOM, no appetite or energy. So I give her Ensure drinks or make her smoothies. This way she isn't having a full meal but she is having something. As far as exercise, I try to get her up and moving for at least 15-20 mins a day, even if its just light cleaning or walking usually part of the way thru it she's a little happier and gets a boost of energy.

As for myself, I keep moving during my TOM-- I keep with my same daily routine, no need to stop-- stopping usually means it will take me longer to go back to the gym. I find it helps my cramps and bloating.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't I? Women have been having periods for centuries, nothing new. :huh:
    Some people find it too debilitating to actually exercise during TOM.
    Before I went through the change, It was impossible to exercise, It was enough that I was not in hospital let alone exercise.

Thank God I am over all that.
  • massivediet
    massivediet Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time doing anything intense, but sustained light activity is always good! According to the fitbit, I burned 560 extra calories yesterday just doing house and yard work. To get a number like that, you have to be on your feet most of the day, but you don't have to strain anything.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cardio yes yes yes , it helps relieve my cramps... weight training nooooooooo lol it kills and im paranoid of straining haha x
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i really try to - yes, i feel les motivated to make the effort, but i always know ill feel better afterwards. some cycles i have cramps, some i dont. usually thats the worst i get, mild cramps on day one or two.. but then thats gone and its just waiting it out really. lol

its an accomplishment every time i complete a workout. skipping a day or three just bc my uterus is bleeding doesnt really seem worthwhile for me.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Some people find it too debilitating to actually exercise during TOM.
    Before I went through the change, It was impossible to exercise, It was enough that I was not in hospital let alone exercise.

Thank God I am over all that.

That isn't most people though. It is just a period, either you work out or not.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I feel so bad for you girls that have awful periods. I don't get cramps, fatigue, cravings, bloating, mood swings, weight gain, etc. None of it. I've never taken a Midol in my life. So, yes, I definitely exercise during my period. Nothing at all is different during that time of the month except that I have to hide a tampon in my clothes every 4 hours on my way to the bathroom. I hardly even notice I have it otherwise.

For you, I say it would be a matter of just making yourself do it. There's no real reason not to exercise during your period, even if you do get all of the bad symptoms associated with it. That goes for eating as you normally would, too. Your period doesn't give you a free pass to just say f*** it and set yourself back in your weight loss.

This!!!
  • arielfirby
    arielfirby Posts: 12
    Options
    Some months, I don't have any pain and others I do have it. Last month, I had awful cramps. It felt like my insides were going to fall out. I still went to the gym to get my sweat on but not as hard. Doing something makes me feel better. I always gain 3-5 pounds of water weight. I avoid the scale during that time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, I still exercise. Most of the time it makes me feel better. I might be tired and a bit achey and whine a lot but I still get it done Sometimes if the cramps are bad, I skip anything intense and just do easy cardio (like walking).
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I do. I might not feel like it but I push myself to go and feel much better for it.