Dear IIFYMers...and everyone else

Options

Replies

• RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Also, who said the body shouldn't have more than 50g of sugar? Where did that come from? 1 apple, banana and peach basically takes you to that number

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/usda-sugar-guidelines-ga.htm
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables

The gubment. USDA, NAS, IOM, etc. If you don't agree with them that's your call, but you know. Science.

Of course I was estimating the 50g number. It depends on your height/weight/age/gender etc. Roughly 50g for an average adult male, or just about 1 can of coke. That is what they recommend you should have in a 24 hour period, no more, to maintain good weight and organ health.

Same thing for Sodium. They recommend no more than 2500mg a day for the same average person.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Let's say I had a rough day. I get home and mix myself up a mini batch of chocolate icing in a mug and dig in. This sweet indulgence works, I feel better. When I go to enter it into my diary, I'm delighted to find that it all fit into my macros (let's pretend I had a very high protein lunch/breakfast). I'm under my calorie goal by a hair too.

Okay or not okay? And why please.

As an occasional thing - sure why not (big high five).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I have definitely mixed up a mug of icing after a rough day before (consider it my shot of whiskey), but it didn't happen today. Btw, the recipe is softened butter, cocoa and icing sugar. Proportions can vary and it still works.

Most of my own opinions on the topic have been expressed by others already (which is exactly what I was hoping for) but I feel remiss in not expressing them at some point so here goes.

I'm interested in health ahead of weight loss, and given that I substituted the carbs in icing carbs for carbs in roasted vegetables, I missed out on some important nutrients, so not a great idea to do with any frequency. I also missed out on the fiber that those vegetables (or any other "healthy" carb) would have provided so I may feel hungry later.

If I don't have "rough days" very often this mug icing thing is probably fine. But it's dangerous territory to use food to destress.

Comparing my icing scenario to Sarah's IIFYM end of day ice cream treat thread, she scheduled it in (mine was reactionary), and it was consumed knowing she had met all her macro AND MICRO goals first.

But...and here is where I may get clobbered...what's the big deal about macros anyway? MFP did a blurb about it a while ago and they suggested that their recommended proportions just had to do with satiation. Are we really just trying to get people to eat a little more protein and a little less carbs (40-30-30 vs 50-30-20)?

If you've already met your micros then adding more won't help. You don't get extra credit. If you're not eating veggies so you can have frosting then that would be an issue for me. However if you've already gotten in your servings of veggies and you skip frosting just so you can eat 500 calories or whatever of extra vegetables, I don't see that as extra benefit.

Macros do serve a purpose beyond satiety though. Protein protects your muscle while you lose weight (and MFP's recommendation is very low); fat helps you absorb nutrients and if you're not getting enough of it all the veggies in the world will not make a difference, because your body won't be able to benefit from them; carbs give you energy, which is important especially if you're working out.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Also, who said the body shouldn't have more than 50g of sugar? Where did that come from? 1 apple, banana and peach basically takes you to that number

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/usda-sugar-guidelines-ga.htm
    http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables

The gubment. USDA, NAS, IOM, etc. If you don't agree with them that's your call, but you know. Science.

Of course I was estimating the 50g number. It depends on your height/weight/age/gender etc. Roughly 50g for an average adult male, or just about 1 can of coke. That is what they recommend you should have in a 24 hour period, no more, to maintain good weight and organ health.

Same thing for Sodium. They recommend no more than 2500mg a day for the same average person.
    1 can of coke huh, so like I said, those 3 pieces of fruit and that's it? No more sugar for the day? Is this also like how it's recommend we only eat around 7th5g of protein? Also, plenty of us maintain a great weight at higher than 50g of sugar.

I'm figuring you also haven't seen the new information put out by the American Heart on sodium where they state that not enough sodium in a person without hypertension can actually have negative effects? The say it's actually higher than 2500.

I think in general we agree on the big stuff... IIFYM and IF, it doesn't bother me that you have all the sugar you want. Or you don't agree with daily recommended allowances. You asked who said and I told you.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it depends 1) on how MUCH icing you had; was it a little treat, or basically a meal of icing, and 2) how you eat the rest of the time.

I don't believe in focusing just on macros as micros are just as if not more important for health. If however you ate great the rest of the day (in this case defining great as a way that hit all the macro and micro levels a healthy human needs) then sure, have your icing (if/since it doesn't seem to be something you personally are trying to cut out - processed food, sugar, etc. For some that may be a concern). Treats are all well and fine so long as they don't displace good for you foods that keep you healthy because of the macro and micros they have. Personally unless your calorie goal is super high I don't think there's a lot of room for a lot of treats every day AND hitting all the micros and macros, just cause there are SO MANY micros to hit and most need to come from different foods. But I also think it's about what makes you happy - if treats make your life good then have them.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I have definitely mixed up a mug of icing after a rough day before (consider it my shot of whiskey), but it didn't happen today. Btw, the recipe is softened butter, cocoa and icing sugar. Proportions can vary and it still works.

Most of my own opinions on the topic have been expressed by others already (which is exactly what I was hoping for) but I feel remiss in not expressing them at some point so here goes.

I'm interested in health ahead of weight loss, and given that I substituted the carbs in icing carbs for carbs in roasted vegetables, I missed out on some important nutrients, so not a great idea to do with any frequency. I also missed out on the fiber that those vegetables (or any other "healthy" carb) would have provided so I may feel hungry later.

If I don't have "rough days" very often this mug icing thing is probably fine. But it's dangerous territory to use food to destress.

Comparing my icing scenario to Sarah's IIFYM end of day ice cream treat thread, she scheduled it in (mine was reactionary), and it was consumed knowing she had met all her macro AND MICRO goals first.

But...and here is where I may get clobbered...what's the big deal about macros anyway? MFP did a blurb about it a while ago and they suggested that their recommended proportions just had to do with satiation. Are we really just trying to get people to eat a little more protein and a little less carbs (40-30-30 vs 50-30-20)?

If you've already met your micros then adding more won't help. You don't get extra credit. If you're not eating veggies so you can have frosting then that would be an issue for me. However if you've already gotten in your servings of veggies and you skip frosting just so you can eat 500 calories or whatever of extra vegetables, I don't see that as extra benefit.

Macros do serve a purpose beyond satiety though. Protein protects your muscle while you lose weight (and MFP's recommendation is very low); fat helps you absorb nutrients and if you're not getting enough of it all the veggies in the world will not make a difference, because your body won't be able to benefit from them; carbs give you energy, which is important especially if you're working out.

This covers it. Just to add, I set my own protein and fat macros based on Sara's Eat Train Progress guidelines and treat them as a minimum.

I define a "healthy balanced diet" as one that meets macro and micro goals without supplementation - and I measure over a week, not a day. I'm not judging anybody's protein/vitamin - sometimes convenience is a huge factor, but it's not the first place I'd turn.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I define a "healthy balanced diet" as one that meets macro and micro goals without supplementation - and I measure over a week, not a day. I'm not judging anybody's protein/vitamin - sometimes convenience is a huge factor, but it's not the first place I'd turn.

Solid point that I've wanted to make throughout this discussion. Our bodies do not reset at midnight. There is nothing special about the D in RDA except that it's easier for most people (who seldom think about micros in any way) than a RWA.

(Stereotypical 12 year old responses not necessary. Everyone sees the setup. Leave it alone.)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Solid point that I've wanted to make throughout this discussion. Our bodies do not reset at midnight. There is nothing special about the D in RDA except that it's easier for most people (who seldom think about micros in any way) than a RWA.

(Stereotypical 12 year old responses not necessary. Everyone sees the setup. Leave it alone.)

I agree completely. I love that the app let's you look at macros and micros weekly. I just had a long look at mine and I see that I am consistently low in iron.
  • scanners107
    scanners107 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your macros don't worry about it... yes its harder to fit in the all the other macros with a treat but as long as u plan you'll be fine.

Maybe making stuff like POV cake will help curb your cravings... join FB pages like Macro Magic etc....
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I agree completely. I love that the app let's you look at macros and micros weekly. I just had a long look at mine and I see that I am consistently low in iron.

Me too. Also, calcium. Hence my meal of sardines, wheat thins and kale last night. LOL. My micros look great now and, if there WERE bonus points, I'd be getting them for my vitamin A.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Me too. Also, calcium. Hence my meal of sardines, wheat thins and kale last night. LOL. My micros look great now and, if there WERE bonus points, I'd be getting them for my vitamin A.

Ah, yes, vit A. I wish we could carry that over for a full year as during sweet potato harvest season, I start to look a little orange.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Ah, yes, vit A. I wish we could carry that over for a full year as during sweet potato harvest season, I start to look a little orange.
    And here I thought it was just the lighting...

carrot-face-packs.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    how is this still going?

eat the frigging icing and move on.

I eat ice cream almost every night. it makes me happy- it's my life- I get to fit that crap in there however I like- even if it means pie for breakfast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    .what's the big deal about macros anyway?

Hitting protein goals for one is very important...in a deficit of energy, hitting appropriate protein macro goals of 0.8 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM is going to help preserve muscle mass. If you are trying to build muscle this is even more important and getting closer to 1 gram per Lb of LBM becomes increasingly important.

In combination with proper nutrition and not just slugging down mugs of icing, hitting macro goals aids in establishing a balanced and nutritious diet where you also meet your micro needs.

Further, macro ratios affect physique. Someone who consumes a well balanced macro ratio is going to have a different composite than someone who has excessively high carbohydrate intake and low fat and low protein intake, even at the same calorie intake.

Add to that, macro ratios are very important where fitness is concerned. There is no magic number...there is no right or wrong ratio...my ratio is different than a body builder's ratio would be...my ratio is also very different from what a marathon runners optimal ratio would be.

There is far more to IIFYM than just setting some arbitrary ratio of macros and consuming foods within those limitations....it was originally a fitness thing and unfortunately has been somewhat basterdized as a eat all the foodz so long as IIFYM and that simply wasn't the original intent.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    .what's the big deal about macros anyway?

Hitting protein goals for one is very important...in a deficit of energy, hitting appropriate protein macro goals of 0.8 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM is going to help preserve muscle mass. If you are trying to build muscle this is even more important and getting closer to 1 gram per Lb of LBM becomes increasingly important.

In combination with proper nutrition and not just slugging down mugs of icing, hitting macro goals aids in establishing a balanced and nutritious diet where you also meet your micro needs.

Further, macro ratios affect physique. Someone who consumes a well balanced macro ratio is going to have a different composite than someone who has excessively high carbohydrate intake and low fat and low protein intake, even at the same calorie intake.

Add to that, macro ratios are very important where fitness is concerned. There is no magic number...there is no right or wrong ratio...my ratio is different than a body builder's ratio would be...my ratio is also very different from what a marathon runners optimal ratio would be.

There is far more to IIFYM than just setting some arbitrary ratio of macros and consuming foods within those limitations....it was originally a fitness thing and unfortunately has been somewhat basterdized as a eat all the foodz so long as IIFYM and that simply wasn't the original intent.

I haven't been able to figure out how to eat all the foodz and fit my macros.
  • JoRocka
    Options

never ending bulk??
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Btw, the recipe is softened butter, cocoa and icing sugar.

A buttercream icing is far more of a fat bomb than it is a carb bomb.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

never ending bulk??

I guess that would work but might not end up with the results I want. But to maintain or lose, I still haven't figured it out.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    losing requires being a little hungry.

Maintenance requires figuring out how to fill your calorie goals with foods you like AND keep you full.