Cardio day- Do you drink protein shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm at least 1 a day. On my 2 a days, I have 2 or 3 shakes.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein intake .5 to 1 gm per lb of my body fat so If i need it-then I might have a couple of protein shakes in a day. Doesn't matter if its a cardio day or not :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ok so can i say the following is correct?

it doesnt matter if its cardio or weight lifting, drinking protein shakes on a given day is a good thing if you need your protein intake to go up.

Yes, it's not about how many shakes but about hitting a daily protein target. Also, depending on how long and how intense, cardio can get catabolic. A good mix of adequate protein (your daily target) and upping carbs can replenish glycogen and spare muscle on cardio day.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate protein shake every evening, regardless of having worked out or not.

My reasons are:

- My macros are set to 40/30/30 and a protein shake helps me to hit my daily protein goals
    - It helps repair muscle on the days I do work out
    - It takes away the chocolate craving that I always seems to have, if I make it thick it's kind of like having a dessert

I've been reading up on protein a lot and it seems to me that the more you can get, the better so a protein shake every day can't be bad.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    the thing for me is my protein intake is another problem... i dont get enough...

with the shakes at work, i can manage it well and get my calories up... take a look at my diary today.... i beg all who responded to here friend request me and take a look... today you will see that by a certain period i will need more.

would be nice for you guys to critique it as well. To be honest, working in NYC is hard and can be expensive to eat clean.

Maybe grab a big bag of skinless/boneless chicken breasts, cooking them all at once, then grab one every day to heat up for lunch. You could hard-boil eggs, get cottage cheese, greek yogurt, or string cheese. It can be hard to fit it in for use. Kashi Go Lean also is a great source of protein.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me, the point of protein shakes is to keep me fuller for longer, and to help repair muscle. Given that you break muscle down by cycling, treadmill etc, albeit not to the same degree as lifting, I would have one, as you still need to help repair and strengthen muscle. And I do have one every morning after I cycle into work.
    this
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    i always wondered this. On cardio day, i usually burn 800-1000 calories...heavy workout...

cardio day consists of bike , elliptical or treadmill with the occasional ab machine. But since im not lifting, should i still be drinking protein shakes?

Protein shakes are nothing more than a supplemental way to get extra protein in your diet. Your protein requirements should not fluctuate. Find a protein intake adequate for your fitness, training, and calorie intake goals and stick with it.

I recommend 1/g per lb of lean body mass.

set it and forget it.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    You can drink protein shakes even if you don't exercise; the point of protein shakes is to do get your protein macros in / supps. Now creatine and amino... requieres you to do heavy lifting.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Sure, we need protein, why not? On weight days I drink a shake after working out; on cardio days I don't typcially consume one right after, but I often have a shake most days instead of breakfast or lunch or for a snack. I keep protein powder and a blender bottle at my desk for this reason. Some people have a snack drawer, I have a protein powder stash :-) (I also keep raw almonds around)
  • swangwcb
    swangwcb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For recipe ideas check out Muscle Chow--it's a book with all kinds of crazy delicious ideas. My fave it protein pudding. I use casein protein as the base and eat it for dessert so that it slowly digests, but it's good with whey or others I'm sure too. Good luck!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    I would suggest 2 a day. It makes getting protein in easier with avoiding a lot of fat and carbs.
    Even after cardio, your body needs glycogen levels to be restored and you still use muscle when you do cardio, So YES!
  • KatyMiriam
    KatyMiriam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, what's cardio day?

Cardio day is focusing just on fast paced exercise that gets your heart rate up like running, biking, eliptical trainer etc and is particualrly good for burning calories fast (as opposed to a strength day where you'd be lifting weight and working on muscle tone)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 2 a day. It makes getting protein in easier with avoiding a lot of fat and carbs.

Why 2 a day? Very arbitrary, no? Why avoid fat and carbs? Are protein shakes the only source of protein sans fat and carbs?
    Even after cardio, your body needs glycogen levels to be restored and you still use muscle when you do cardio, So YES!

Any physical acitivty will utilize muscle glycogen for energy. Its a myth that all activity requires immediate restoration of muscle glycogen. Athletes that partake in a prolonged bout of strenuous exercise, athletes who train hard multiple times a day, elite endurance athletes - all require immediate glycogen replenishment for performance and recovery. The normal person will restore glycogen throughout the normal course of the day.