Ladies Only-Birth Control PREVENTING losing weight?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Appetite is hunger, if your appetite is bigger you're going to be hungry more, therefore you eat more

No appetite <> hunger

Appetite is the desire for specific foods which is totally psychological

Hunger is the need for any food which is totally physcial..

For example increased appetite may make you crave starchy sweet carbs like peacan tarts...

Hunger means it doesn't matter you just need food...and almost anything will do.
  • iluvstrawberries
    Options
    Looks like that kitty could use some help with its weight too
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Looks like that kitty could use some help with its weight too

?
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I have heard that you actually burn more calories the week of your period though, so it could be this. Also, most of us tend to bloat and retain more water right before our periods, which might make it seem like you're losing more, when your body is simply letting go of excess water once you start.

I have never heard anything about the metabolism burning faster during one's period, but if that's accurate then I agree with this post: water retention and then water release + faster metabolism = seemingly rapid weight loss.

BC effects everyone differently, two of the potential side effects of Yaz BC listed on the online drug index (http://www.rxlist.com/yaz-side-effects-drug-center.htm) are "changes in weight or appetite" and "weight gain." I've been on yaz for about 5 years now (with a three month break last summer) and I've noticed that I weigh about 5-8 pounds more than I did when I was not on it (even with exercise), though that could just be because my metabolism slowed from high school through college. Further, I started a diet and exercise regimen during my three month gap and I was shocked how quickly the pounds dropped off.

Yaz is also a very strong BC pill (it's always the same high concentration of hormone), if yours is designed to vary in hormone concentration based on where you are in your cycle, it probably has a much less significant impact on your body.

That said, I doubt a few days off the pill for your period are enough to see a noticeable change. I'm guessing it's as written above - probably more water weight than anything. If one or two of the pounds actually stay off after your period ends, perhaps some of it is due to rapid period-stage metabolism or perhaps it's due to being off the BC for a few days.

EDIT: To the person who said BC makes you retain water and therefore any loss of weight after going off it is not "real" weight: birth control tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant - pregnant bodies tend to build fat faster/more easily than non-pregnant bodies. It's not necessarily all water weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone take the shot? I'm considering getting the depo shot and everyone I know always gains at least 10 lbs on it! My sister gained 15... ugh.

I would definitely look into the side effects of the depo shot before starting it, and not only for weight loss reasons. While there are many women that use that form of birth control and are content with it, I have heard many horrible stories, including infertility and emergency hysterectomies. These stories are from people I know personally, so I know they are legitimate. If you go that route, I hope it works well for you. I was on it for about 6 months. While I was not tracking my weight at that time, so I cannot remember how it directly affected that aspect of my life, it through my hormones WAYYYY out of whack, and I had to quit it quickly thereafter.

To the OP, I recently went back to the pill after 4-ish years using the NuvaRing. I have not noticed any significant change to my weight loss, although it may be slightly slower. I also have not noticed any extra weight gain from water retention or anything like that in correlation with beginning the pill. I am Microgestrin Fe 1/20. I wish you luck in finding what works best for you!

No offense but there would be no reason for emergency hysterectomies or infertility due to depo...ever it's a shot in the butt...

an IUD maybe...if it perforated the uterine wall...but those are rare.

I have used depo for over 10 years..took a break for an IUD for 7 years back on depo it's great.

I have lost most of my weight on depo.

As for the BC pill water retention is not real weight. BC pills or any other form does not magically create fat from nothing.
    I don't believe the issue is with the location of the shot. But yes, there are concerns with DEPO and other hormonal BC.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    For me lately it seem that yes, it does, but I'm on one of those pills that you take for three months straight and only get your period at the end of the three months. My body is fighting the pills I think because no matter what I do I can't lose a pound during the three months of the active pills.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Anyone take the shot? I'm considering getting the depo shot and everyone I know always gains at least 10 lbs on it! My sister gained 15... ugh.

I would definitely look into the side effects of the depo shot before starting it, and not only for weight loss reasons. While there are many women that use that form of birth control and are content with it, I have heard many horrible stories, including infertility and emergency hysterectomies. These stories are from people I know personally, so I know they are legitimate. If you go that route, I hope it works well for you. I was on it for about 6 months. While I was not tracking my weight at that time, so I cannot remember how it directly affected that aspect of my life, it through my hormones WAYYYY out of whack, and I had to quit it quickly thereafter.

To the OP, I recently went back to the pill after 4-ish years using the NuvaRing. I have not noticed any significant change to my weight loss, although it may be slightly slower. I also have not noticed any extra weight gain from water retention or anything like that in correlation with beginning the pill. I am Microgestrin Fe 1/20. I wish you luck in finding what works best for you!

No offense but there would be no reason for emergency hysterectomies or infertility due to depo...ever it's a shot in the butt...

an IUD maybe...if it perforated the uterine wall...but those are rare.

I have used depo for over 10 years..took a break for an IUD for 7 years back on depo it's great.

I have lost most of my weight on depo.

As for the BC pill water retention is not real weight. BC pills or any other form does not magically create fat from nothing.
    I don't believe the issue is with the location of the shot. But yes, there are concerns with DEPO and other hormonal BC.

Agreed with the concerns but IUD's are known for issues such as infertility etc..not depo.

I know that depos main concern is the bone density in young women esp between the ages of 14-20...even in older woman like me however I did have a bone scan done and there were no issues what so ever.

Along with other things that can happen from any form of hormone treatment which include for menopause etc all have their risks...but again I personally (and this is based on information from speicalist because I personally have issues with BC, fertility etc) and they are family so I trust that they wouldn't give me bad info Depo, Mirena and other forms of hormonal BC do not cause excess weight gain...ie 50-100lbs...

As for the emergency surgery etc I did speak with my aunt ob/gyn and in her entire career she has never heard of such a thing and she lives in a major centre and has been a doctor for a long time and keeps current as she is also a professor at a medical school....IUD's on the other hand..yup happens more frequently than she would like to see...
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is a side effect of any birth control. I'm currently on the Nuva Ring because it's a lower dose of hormones (although they're slightly different from the hormones used in other BCs), and the dosage stays consistent throughout the 3 weeks I have it in. I've been on ortho tri-cyclen lo, ortho tri-cyclen, ortho cyclen (briefly; it made me more depressed than others), Yasmin, and the Nuva Ring. I like the Nuva Ring because I don't have to worry about taking a pill every day, but I've noticed that my weight has varied across all of these birth controls. I'm about 10 pounds heavier with the Nuva Ring, and I'm working on trying to lose that, but I feel like every time I put a new ring in, I have to readjust to hormones and cravings that they cause. At one point, I finally got below 130, but I'm premenstrual now and back up to 133. I've begun to keep track of my weight every week, and I'm hypothesizing that my weight will always fluctuate by about 3 pounds in either direction. It does seem much harder to lose weight now, but that could be an effect of aging and a slowed metabolism and/or the hormones in my current BC method. You may want to talk to a medical professional about the possibility of getting birth control that has a lower dosage of hormones. I'm beginning to think about getting a Paragard, because it's completely hormone free and lasts for up to 10 years. Either way, it's your choice; just do what you think is best for your body.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A coworker was on depo for 3 years and she's recently gained about 15 pounds....because she's 5 months pregnant despite getting her injections on time :)
    Just remember that they are now finding that depo loses it's effectiveness after a couple of years.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Everyone will of course react differently but hormonal contraceptives can cause water retention, they can mess with your thyroid and they also make it harder to build muscle. There are enough hormone-free options out there that are just as safe or even safer so if you're suffering from side effects, there's no reason why you should have to keep suffering.

Oh, and btw: Hormonal contraceptives do NOT make your body think you're pregnant. They put you continuously in the second, post-ovulation part of a natural cycle (the luteal phase).
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who are giving constructive feedback.

I just want to clarify again, I am not gaining weight. I'm just not losing for those 3 weeks. I've been on my BC a while and I think after months and months of seeing the same results it's not just a one-time sort of deal with my system.

I'll look into the water retention and burning more calories to see if that's accurate or not. Thanks ladies! :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    A coworker was on depo for 3 years and she's recently gained about 15 pounds....because she's 5 months pregnant despite getting her injections on time :)
    Just remember that they are now finding that depo loses it's effectiveness after a couple of years.

How is that...it's a shot you get every three months. I personally have used it for a span of 10 years, used Mirena for 7 now back on depo for 2....it's quite effective for me..

To the OP water retention, raised cortisol levels from "stress" all mask actual weight loss...try upping your water intake...always helps me.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I was on depo for a few years. My daughter has been on it for about 5 years. Neither one of us had any problems with it. No periods on it, which is wonderful. I don't know if we gained weight on it. We did gain but it was because we ate more and exercised less. I currently have the nexplanon just because I hated going every 3 months for the shot. I don't have to worry with the implant for 3 years. No problems with that either. No periods either. I can't remember to take the pill every day. Both of us just started MFP and we are watching what we eat and starting to exercise and we are seeing weight loss.
  • sparkly_blonde
    sparkly_blonde Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I gained 50lbs on the shot. It was horrendous for myself - the weight gain, the constant hunger, depression, and my BP shot up to 140/90. Every time I was given the shot I would develop a huge black and blue bruise on my hip that lasted for weeks. I would NEVER do it again.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yes I have had that happen. That and other reasons is why I don't take any type of birth control anymore
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    it probably does hinder it at bit....but just imagine what a pregnancy would do to your weight loss goals...:laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: true that!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No, my tubes are tied. Best thing I ever did.
  • Twinmamamarion
    Twinmamamarion Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your off week is your period, right? That sounds like what happens in my regular, not-pilled life. Sorry, lady. But....yes...I'm here because I gained 65 lbs during my pregnancy...so there's that. :)
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It may be the chemicals and hormones that are messing with your water retention, not necessarily your "weight" since you say that in the time off you seem to lose the weight. Another issue could also just be how your body is adjusting to the dietary changes. I am not sure how long you have been actively on MFP/ counting calories, etc. but if its only been a month or two I wouldn't be concerned, but if you notice this trend continue for longer I would discuss it with your dr.

I have an IUD(?) [i.e. Mirena] and I only notice I gain weight or dont loss in the week or so prior to my TOM, and then after I will start losing again or at least go back to my normal weight.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    No. I've been on b.c. for about 6 months, and it's consistent where I don't lose (or maybe a pound) during 3 weeks, then lose about 3 or 4 during the T.O.M.

I do the same thing. The week before sometimes I gain a little but it drops off as soon as TOM start. You're still averiging 1 pound per week of weight loss which is pretty good. Gives you a reason to look forward to TOM!