Hummus

Options
I learned today from my new food scale that hummus servings are much smaller than I thought they were. At least 25% smaller than what I usually throw into a bowl, haha.
Darn you hummus, and your deliciousness! Looks like I need to exercise more to eat my weight in you each day.

What is your favorite flavor of hummus? And, do you like to make your own at home?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and harissa hummus is amazing :) I like it with pesto, too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Hold the phone, cool cat.
    Pesto is a good combo with hummus? Because if that's the case, I'm in heaven and need to try this asap.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Pesto is a good combo with hummus? Because if that's the case, I'm in heaven and need to try this asap.

Oh, it's heaven on a stick! the tasty zing of the pesto with the creamy hummus... so flippin good. Try a red capsicum and pine nut pesto with it too. Om nom nom.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Black bean hummus has fewer calories and it can get pretty spicy. Authentic or not, it's way delicious!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I use baby carrots as a vehicle to get Roasted Garlic Hummus into my mouth most days! I'm going to have to try some of the other flavours after reading this thread!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Hummus mixed with roasted red pepper is divine. But even that doesn't compare to black bean or lentil hummus.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    jalapeno flavor from trader joes.

and pine nut.

and plain

are my faves.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like beetroot hummus and butternut squash hummus, yum!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like fresh hummus at Greek or Lebanese restaurants best...mmm. But mostly I eat/buy Aldi hummus, classic or garlic flavor. Love both! The roasted red pepper isn't bad either.

I tried Sabra hummus and absolutely hated it. I couldn't finish the small container, even. I don't remember which variety I tried but I am always surprised to see it highly recommended by others. I think Athenos (?) is good, though.
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    It's easy to make your own too. You can reduce the oil in it and stick extra stuff in it. I love chickpeas though.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like roasted garlic hummus and spinach artichoke hummus. Om nom nom.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I learned today from my new food scale that hummus servings are much smaller than I thought they were. At least 25% smaller than what I usually throw into a bowl, haha.
    Darn you hummus, and your deliciousness! Looks like I need to exercise more to eat my weight in you each day.

What is your favorite flavor of hummus? And, do you like to make your own at home?

Storebought - 40 spices
    Home made - artichoke and also roasted red pepper. AND, those wrinkly black olives in the Italian stores....you cut them up and put in regular hummus....it's humanahumana good!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Black bean hummus has fewer calories and it can get pretty spicy. Authentic or not, it's way delicious!

I need this in my belly now
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Oh, it's heaven on a stick! the tasty zing of the pesto with the creamy hummus... so flippin good. Try a red capsicum and pine nut pesto with it too. Om nom nom.

Oh HELL YEAH, pesto is good!!!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I like good old plain. My favorite way to eat it is to spread some on a whole wheat flat bread, add a buttload of raw spinach and cut up chicken breast and roll into a wrap.....nom nom nom. Panaera also has a power bowl (I assume for the paleo enthusiasts) with spinach, chicken and hummus and other veggies. That's good too.
  • xCylencex
    xCylencex Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like the spinach hummus, but lately I've taken a liking to Sabra's supremely spicy hummus. It's AMAZING on sandwiches. Nom nom.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    peanut butter hummus is amazing. i also make my own at home and drizzle it with olive oil and curry powder, now that I have started making my own, cannot even do store bought hummus any more....here is the recipe I use http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love Fountain of Health brand hummus, especially the roasted garlic flavor. I used to eat Sabra brand until I found Fountain Of Health, which I think tastes a little fresher and I like that it uses olive oil and not just soybean oil like Sabra.

But now I usually make my own. Store brought hummus is just outrageously priced and it's so simple to make.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like fresh hummus at Greek or Lebanese restaurants best...mmm. But mostly I eat/buy Aldi hummus, classic or garlic flavor. Love both! The roasted red pepper isn't bad either.

I tried Sabra hummus and absolutely hated it. I couldn't finish the small container, even. I don't remember which variety I tried but I am always surprised to see it highly recommended by others. I think Athenos (?) is good, though.

I second that, Sabra is gross and watery, really weak. Athenos is alot thicker and has decent flavor, especially the Roasted Garlic flavor. I haven't tried any other brands or homemade, but this thread is making me hungry!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I've been known to paint my face with hummus I love it so much.