A simple thought on how to set a calorie goal

Options
Aaron_K123
Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
Had a thought I wanted to share about how to set a calorie goal. I am not saying this is "the way" to do it its just a thought I had and wanted to get people's impressions or opinion.

Step 1: Decide what your idealized weight would be. I know "ideal" is vague and its almost impossible to know what this is but if you measure your frame size you can ballpark this. Make sure to include the muscle / fitness level you want in your weight unless you are aiming for scrawny.

Step 2: Determine the NEAT for a person of that size with your activity level (non exercise).

Step 3: Eat that number of calories as your daily average. If you want to lose weight faster, exercise more. (there should be some guideline as to how much exercise would be to much, maybe don't drop your net below your BMR?)

Step 4: As you approach your desired weight your weight loss will slow, that is okay...again you can exercise a bit more if you want.

Step 5: When you hit your desired weight ease up to a maintenance level of exercise to keep fit and bump your calories up to match your new TDEE. Or, alternatively, if you are at your weight but not your fitness muscle level then you can keep your exercise level high to drop your bodyfat more before bumping up your calories to a slight surplus and work on bulking up to your desired weight. At this stage your "desired weight" should be a past goal and your real goal should be your general appearance and health.

The idea behind this is basically to use your future idealized self maintenance level as your calorie goal so years down the road when you hit your goal you are basically already at maintenance and have had years of practicing eating at exactly that level...no change to your habits in order to maintain so less chance of yo-yo.

I do not claim this as an original thought I'm sure it has been described, discussed and talked about ad nauseum by many people before me but was just curious as to what people thought of this.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Options
    TLDR version: Eat at the maintenance level of the size and shape you want to be and eventually over time (with exercise) you will attain that size and shape.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Bro, you're on my FL. Don't make me delete you wtih this nonsensical bulls$1t.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

You gonna start defending your 1200 calorie diet Adonis? ;-)
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    shakemyhead2_zps09f0d339.gif
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mystiqBOWT1rzpkyx.gif
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

I'm defending my 1500 cal dinners, yes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^*nod nod
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Aww man, you are going to make me want to skip right to the part where I bulk.
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    confusedTaylor_zps4f7bd0d6.gif
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

Bro, yes bulk...do not pass go, go directly to bulk.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

But but...I put the TLDR version.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

(Is your right arm bent on that deadlift in your avi or is it just a camera angle thing???)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    That's the fat2fit version
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Bro, yes bulk...do not pass go, go directly to bulk.

But the fat...it is so plentiful.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    avril-lavigne-complicated-mary-kate-and-ashley-quote-Favim.com-375311.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

(Is your right arm bent on that deadlift in your avi or is it just a camera angle thing???)

Maybe he is curling it you don't know, stop being so judgmental god
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    confusedTaylor_zps4f7bd0d6.gif

^^ This ..... pretty much right here. :drinker:
  • SGM_Adonis
    Options

Yes, this photo is about six months old....right around the time I first started doing deadlifts. The form has gotten considerably more technical.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    260583__UNOPT__safe_rarity_animated_image-macro_angry_drama.gif.gif