Are you close to your family/relatives?

2»

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    I grew up in an awesome family that was very close like that and would get together several times a year.

Now I have several cousins that I have only seen on Facebook for years. I only see my brother if someone dies. It's pretty sad, really. I have been working for the past couple months trying to set up a family reunion and it may just happen next month, so we will see if we even like each other anymore.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I was very close to my mom and we traveled together a lot, making sure that at least one vacation a year was one for her, my dad, my husband and me, and at least one for just her and me. She died very unexpectedly last August. I miss her terribly, but I have no regrets because I got to spend so much time with her.

I have two brothers who I adore and a bunch of nieces and nephews who I love, one SIL who is the best thing since sliced bread and one that I don't get along with. The brothers live several states away, so I only see them a couple of times a year. We have a great time when we get together.

My sister lives in my city, but we don't get along well. We can co exist, but aren't friends.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    no
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,087 Member
    well, i work with my parents and my husband and i live with my brother, so yeah, we're pretty close. i wish my mother in law and sister and brother in law lived closer, they're 3000 miles away.

my parents brother and husband and i get together all the time. my husband works with us too. we see each other at work and at least one weekend a month for dinner and hanging out. we're a big love fest. and living with my brother has been awesome, he's never here, and when he is we all get along really well.

i'm a pretty lucky girl :)
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    Close with my immediate family. People often think too close, not in a gross way. :)

My of 8 cousins on my moms side we talk to 2. I'm closer to me second cousins on that side.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    OP you're from SF and Samoan? I noticed that Samoan people have huge families and are really close. I admire that.
    Our family used to be like that, but with the influx of drugs into the community it tore my and others families apart in the 80's, and now its just our immediate family we're close to, and a few we interact with sparingly if at all in my family.
    Hardly Samoan! They make me look like a dwarf. Filipino by ethnicity, but thanks for thinking I'm big like them!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    my mom & my brother on my side and my in laws are fantastic too love them to death

haven't been close to my dad or his side in a long time now. he got remarried and barely talks to either my brother or myself anymore, didn't even invite us to his wedding :frown:
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    My mum, sister and niece are all on the other side of the planet but we are still close, and my extended family of cousins etc are ok though I haven't seen most of them for years. My in-laws are spread over Australia but we have a great time when we see any of them.

:heart:
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    i'm very close to my family, from my mums side.
    dads family lives abroad so only get to see them after a couple of years.
    I have the same problem as when we usually get together its at my Nans house where she cooks absolutely loads of food.. hard to resist nans cooking.. yummm :)
    Theres 2 of my auntys who i've got more of a friend relationship with :) can talk to them about anything.. would actually go talk to them before going to any of my friends..
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    i'm close to my parents, but not my brother (his wife has made him shun all his family) i think my kids are really lucky because although they haven't got their uncle, they are lucky enough to have 2 great grandparents still around when some of their friends don't even have grandparents left, my mum and dad have a new years eve party every year, and my grandad is the first man i kiss after the clock strikes midnight, he cuddles me and tells me he loves me, and it's been like that for over 30 years :smile: don't know what i'd do without my awesome family
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    My mother because I know she needs me.

Great way to phrase this. This is me exactly. Never had a great relationship, but can't abandon her.

I am also super close with my brothers. 2 Half sisters I am also close with. Extended fam wise - my Dad's side of family I am close with but don't see them enough (just busy in my own life, and my Mother doesn't get along with them well). My Mom's side of the family are ****ing weirdos so don't seem them ever (or at least try not to).
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Not particularly. My father dies 10 years ago and my mom died 7 years ago. They were the glue that held everything together.

I have a cousin, Debbie, that I am closer to than my own siblings.

My two sisters are both drama queens that are on again/off again, so I avoid that drama by avoiding them.

My brother has made one bad decision after another and will probably be retiring on minimal Social Security, no savings/investments and living in an apartment. I haven't seen him in 2 years, though he lives 10 miles away. I don't want to support him in his retirement, so I avoid him

I am very close to my immediate family. 3 Daughters and 2 grandaughters. I also get along very well with two of my wifes's sisters. In fact, it's not unusual for one or both of them to join my wife and I on vacation.
  • kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    I'm very close to my parents. My sister, not so much. We're polar opposites when it comes to personalities. Most of my extended family lives in California and Arkansas, so we're not very close, but we do keep in touch. More than I do with my sibling, in fact.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    We have a huge family and spent all our time together growing up and as adults, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. My best friend for years has been my cousin. Then my daughter and I moved out of state 1,000 miles away and we knew not a soul here. We stay in touch all the time with the family and see them as much as possible, but have been lucky to make some great friends here that have turned into family. I just wish my mom lived closer, she's about 550 miles away.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I am extremely close with my family---parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I tell them everything, talk to them about sex...pretty much anything goes. Some people think that is odd, but I love it. My family is pretty cool, and it would hang out with them even if we weren't related.
  • Inbef84
    Inbef84 Posts: 41 Member
    I am extremely close to my dad's side of extended family... Aunts, uncles, first cousins, second cousins, nephews, niece... The whole works... And my moms side I am just close to her siblings...
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I'm 50 and am blessed to have two healthy parents, my three siblings and a ton of aunts, uncles, and cousins with whom I'm still close. My family are most of my friends.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Had a nice family bash this weekend! Whole family played volleyball!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Family is a big word.... I have some family I love and am very close with, and some family I don't care for and don't like to be around. You don't get to pick 'em.

this!