saying i love you

Options
arainiday1
arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
do you say i love you to your friends ? friends of the same sex or friends & friends of the opposite sex ? just curious how others feel about this. i say i love you to one of my best girl friends because we are very close and she is like my sister but i don't think i would say that to a guy (not including my brother of course!) because i think it might be taken wrong. thoughts ?

Replies

• Skoochnski1974
    Options
    When saying it to a male friend I always preface it with, "I just love you!" ( said kinda with the same vocal inflection as "I just wanna hug the stuffin's out of you!")
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I say it as in " ah gosh, I love you"..Usually when the person has been smart, witty, etc. etc. Not just to say "I love you" like the way I do towards my partner & family. I think people would think I'm weird.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I say I love you to my closest friends, often. We finish phone calls with "ok, I love you!" or say it when we're saying good bye. I do love them, very much, and I think it's important that your friends know they are loved.

It does get awkward when I'm on the phone to my BFF when I'm out in public with my husband and I say "Ok, baby, I love you!" at the end of a call and people think I'm having an affair.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    male friends no

my one female friend yes
  • arainiday1
    Options
    i wish i could go into more detail but im not gonna do it here. just trying to get a feel for other people on this
  • Xenus
    Xenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tell my male friend that I love him. He's bi. But we both know that we love each other. We have a totally platonic and beautiful friendship. Have anyone of you ever felt that with another human being? It's like having a soulmate without the sexual attraction. Sometimes I think it's even better.
  • chellebelle418
    Options
    if u love em platonic or not, tell em.....never assume they kno and eff whoever thinks is inappropriate. if ur worried that person may take it the wrong way maybe say like pp have said, twist the words slightly.

i say i love u 2 male and female friends.....
  • dwm2112
    dwm2112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, I say that to all my friends, male and female. It's the truth. The only one I don't say it to is my girlfriend, because we're not at "that place" yet and it means something different. This is difficult for me, but I don't want to send her running for the hills!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    One of my close female friends I say I love you to all the time. She says it to me, too. She's married with children, her husband doesn't think anything of it. Heck, I've told him I loved him, too. They are closer than family to me.

I have a few other friends that we will often text I love you and occasionally say it in person or on the phone, too. But mostly texts, not sure why lol.

I don't think there is anything wrong with telling someone you love them. There are many different kinds of love. I am in love with my best friends in a completely platonic way.
  • hollymumford1
    hollymumford1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I say I love you alot. Nothing really wrong with that. I tell my best friend I love her all the time. She has been there for more times than I can count. Want her to know how much she means to me.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    the whole 'i love you' era has left me wanting to blow chunks frankly. :p If I say 'i love you' to a pal, it's a joke meaning 'thanks' for something. or it's an overtly manipulative joke trying to wangle something.

Otherwise I don't throw it around. I love my children and my family and that's who I love.
  • arainiday1
    Options
    I say I love you to my closest friends, often. We finish phone calls with "ok, I love you!" or say it when we're saying good bye. I do love them, very much, and I think it's important that your friends know they are loved.

It does get awkward when I'm on the phone to my BFF when I'm out in public with my husband and I say "Ok, baby, I love you!" at the end of a call and people think I'm having an affair.

is this BFF a female or a male ? just curious
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So now we get closer to what OP actually wants to know... just spill!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    the whole 'i love you' era has left me wanting to blow chunks frankly. :p If I say 'i love you' to a pal, it's a joke meaning 'thanks' for something. or it's an overtly manipulative joke trying to wangle something.

Otherwise I don't throw it around. I love my children and my family and that's who I love.

Yep this, plus I don't have any friends that I love in any case
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    To friends, no. That's reserved for family and SOs.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I tell my bf I love him! He tells me all the time but I think the words are precious and don't want to overuse them. I don't tell anyone else I love them but then again, I'm British lol!
  • arainiday1
    Options
    texting to someone of opposite gender at the end of a conversation something along the lines of "i love you babe" and they respond with "i love you too" to someone who is "just a good friend" that you have barely known a few months but have been working with closely.... :indifferent: :huh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Female and has been my BFF for the better part of a decade.

While I do tell my close friends I love them, I have been friends with each of them for at least eight years, some as long as 14. I say it because I truly mean it. I don't chuck it around lightly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    texting to someone of opposite gender at the end of a conversation something along the lines of "i love you babe" and they respond with "i love you too" to someone who is "just a good friend" that you have barely known a few months but have been working with closely.... :indifferent: :huh:

and this is something your boyfriend is doing to a girl other than you...?
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I read the thread title and now I've been earwormed by Extreme - More Than Words.

Thanks......