Food scale at restaurant?

Options
My boyfriend is a chronic eat-outer and his favorite place to eat is our local Mexican restaurant. We have come to a compromise - only eating out once a week (as opposed to literally 10+!) but the Mexican restaurant doesn't have their nutrition information available. I even went so far as to contact them directly, but no such luck.

I told him that I would go and just take my food scale with me so I can log what I eat fairly accurately under the circumstances but that seemed to be a no go. He said it would be embarrassing for me to weigh my food in a restaurant and doesn't want me to do it.

So how would you handle this situation? He has been supportive in every aspect but this seems to be one case he just won't budge on. Do I go and estimate what I eat? Do I tell him to go with someone else?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not take a scale with me. I'd try to overestimate, eat things that I thought were reasonable, look at the menu before hand and find similar items to get an idea of what will fit my calorie goals, etc. Most of all, I'd enjoy the experience with my boyfriend. If you are so focused on food and calories that you can't take one night a week out to possibly be over in your calories, you may need to step back and assess what you are doing. That's not sustainable, and it doesn't seem healthy.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take your "usual" as take-out once and weigh it at home for reference? That's what I do with restaurant food (I eat out 90% of the time)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I would just estimate without the food scale. Unless you are standing next to the cook and measuring the ingredients, the food scale won't be completely accurate anyways. Cutting back is already a huge step in the right direction and you don't want to make it unbearable. If you do want to do even more, try sharing two meals. One as healthy as possible, like grilled shrimp and veggies. And one less so, like enchiladas.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am not and will not take my scale into a restaurant - or anywhere out and about - I have one at home and one at work - and if after this long I can't get CLOSE to a correct portion then I probably am in big trouble.

If you are REALLY worried about it - I like the order it as take out idea - weigh at home for future reference.

Me......I'd just log it and estimate HIGH - and eat light the rest of the day to make up for it.

I am still gonna live in the real world - and that means learning to adjust portions appropriately without a scale. So you go over cals for the day once a week - stay under the rest of the time and it will balance out......If I weigh/measure 18 out of 21 meals - I probably even out.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think his insisting you go to a Mexican restaurant (seriously?) that doesn't have their calories listed is well balanced with you bringing your food scale there to weigh your food.

I think your choices are:
    1) Go to a different restaurant (Mexican or otherwise) that lists calorie counts.
    2) Get it to go and weigh the stuff at home
    3) Bring your scale to the restaurant.

Show him that list and let him pick.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no way would I take my food scale to a resturant...

If you are that worried about it (and I can't imagine why you would be if it's once a week) then do take out.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like nelinelineli's idea.
    Also, MFP's food database is extensive. You could check the database for an approximation of your favourite order.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take my scale into a restaurant. Good suggestion from someone to bring it home home takeout and try to make an estimate from that, otherwise are there any comparable Mexican chain restaurants you could use to log an estimate? (sorry I'm in the UK so can't suggest any)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    no way. you have to live.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would just estimate without the food scale. Unless you are standing next to the cook and measuring the ingredients, the food scale won't be completely accurate anyways. Cutting back is already a huge step in the right direction and you don't want to make it unbearable. If you do want to do even more, try sharing two meals. One as healthy as possible, like grilled shrimp and veggies. And one less so, like enchiladas.
    This.
    I would also add that the tortilla chips are waaay more calories than i thought so that is a pitfall to watch out for. I often eat out at mexican and keep my orders very simple with only a few ingredients so I can fairly accurately eyeball a cup of rice, 1/2 cup of refried beans and a simple meat like grilled chicken. I've learned over time that you don't have to go for the "whole burrito" just cause it is there. Good luck and you gotta focus on enjoying the company on eat out nights, not the tempting food on the menu.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Look, I say do the right thing the whole week and eat what you're gonna eat at the mexican restaurant and don't think about it. I mean, don't order three loaded burritos, but eat what you normally would like without weighing it.

My experience lately is this; since I've been using heavier weights, I found that when I had a lot of carby food last weekend, I mean a lot, I didn't gain any weight. It's weird but if I do what I'm supposed to do then a "cheat" (I hate that word) day is a bonus.

I think all people are different but let yourself go for one day.

Don't eat everything on the menu, but live a little and don't worry. It will turn out fine.

BY the way, yesterday I used 35lb dumbbells to row with. It was hard at first but it became better after the third set. Yay me! Next stop, 40lb dumbbells.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I like you. good answer.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. I would not take my scale. Great idea on getting take-out and figuring it out for the future. But I think the main thing is to just enjoy the treat of eating out...and over-estimate.!
  • jenna40_2go
    jenna40_2go Posts: 101
    Options
    I would not take the scale. We ate out last night at a place that didn't have a nutritional menu. I got a buffalo chicken wrap with broccoli as a side. I then looked on here for a comparable meal estimating high. I ate all the broccoli and half the wrap. Once a week isn't going to hurt and living your life after you reach your goals is what you need to focus on. Are you going to stress every time you go out once you reach your health goals? Are you going to hide in the house every time someone wants to go out for dinner? Look at the lifestyle instead of the day. Love life enjoy what the world offers and remember moderation. Good luck!
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take your "usual" as take-out once and weigh it at home for reference? That's what I do with restaurant food (I eat out 90% of the time)

SO doing this next time we eat out at a little local place as opposed to a chain with published nutrition info...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think his insisting you go to a Mexican restaurant (seriously?) that doesn't have their calories listed is well balanced with you bringing your food scale there to weigh your food.

I think your choices are:
    1) Go to a different restaurant (Mexican or otherwise) that lists calorie counts.
    2) Get it to go and weigh the stuff at home
    3) Bring your scale to the restaurant.

Show him that list and let him pick.

Pretty sure that denotes sabotage on his part. He should only suggest mediocre chain restaurants with nutrition info clearly posted to support her weightloss goals
  • millej30
    millej30 Posts: 17
    Options
    The thing is being only 10 or so days in I'm not sure I fully grasp what an accurate portion size is yet. Call it a slippery slope fallacy but I do worry about going over once a week especially in the beginning. I will probably just go with what I assume to be the healthiest on the menu (chicken fajitas), avoid the unlimited chips and salsa, and get an order to go sometime for weighing at home (love that suggestion).

How do you choose something comparable when the dishes listed in the database vary by 500 calories or more? Choose the highest?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This. I go to restaurants without nutrition information once or twice a week, and have never considered bringing a food scale. I'd find it embarassing, and beyond that it really wouldn't be that helpful. Estimating size is probably the least difficult part of trying to estimate the calorie count in restaurant food, since you have to assume there are all kinds of hidden calories. Depending on the kind of restaurant, I generally add in some extra butter. With Mexican I think you could compare with other Mexican resturants in the database, and you might want to weigh some items similar to those you would be eating to get a sense of sizes if the take out idea doesn't work.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'd just estimate it without weighing it. I agree with your boyfriend that it would look odd and probably be pretty embarrassing. I'm not ashamed of weighing food, but taking the scale to a restaurant is going a little too far. There are plenty of generic Mexican restaurant entries on MFP - just pick one with a pretty high calorie count to be safe.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I like you. good answer.

I like you both. Bravo.