saying i love you

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Er. I do, but if you have trust issues with your guy, asking blanket questions isn't going to help you, you'll have to address your issues with him. If you don't trust him enough to believe when he tells you it's nothing, especially if he has a history of cheating/dishonesty.... well. y'know.

Edited for grammar
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It makes me uncomfortable when my female friends say love you to me. I have weird issues with friendships though. I've had two male friends in my life who were best friends-one in high school and one as an adult- that I was comfortable with saying it to. I lived with both of them as roommates for periods of time though and I think that changed it. I struggle with saying I love you to a lot of people-my parents included. Just the way it is.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    theres a history of problems. a lot of trust issues. for good reason.

If he's saying "I love you babe" to a woman he has only known a few months, and you don't know and love her also, as part of a mutual circle of friends or something, then it sounds like an affair.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If I love someone, I tell them. Period. I never expect to hear it back. I try not to say it to people I know who will misinterpret it or be made uncomfortable by my saying it, and I usually have a good read on that.

But yes, I tell my friends I love them.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I tell all my close friends (male or female) that I love them. It is a habit I developed while in the army, it may the last time I would see them. Some of my neighbors are active duty and we have become close. We became family and trusted each other with our lives. DId/do I love them, bet your sweet butts I did/do. When I still see them its huggs and everyone gets teary eyed. This are very special people and I am exetremely close to alot of our military still.

Family is a given. My son and daughter live a ways away from us, so when I see them ita special and we always hugs and kisses all the time. They have learned no matter what the setting is, they are going to get a huge hugg and it be loudly annouced that I love them.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    No, I don't really say that to anyone. I've only said it to 2 boyfriends in my lifetime. Not real good at showing/telling people how I feel, I even have a hard time saying it to my dog :laugh:
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Now there are some folks here on MFP, its just plain lust :-)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I say it when I look in the mirror.

stuartsmalley.jpg
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do tell my friends that I love them. I never used to, but having lost my BFF due to a sudden illness a few years ago, it made me realise that I had never actually told her that. I don't bandy it about to every person in my friendship circle, but only to those closest to me, male and female.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I also say it to pizza.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I also say it to pizza.

Me too. And sometimes brownie bite and cookie dough blizzards from Dairy Queen.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    theres a history of problems. a lot of trust issues. for good reason.

Why are you still together? Please Please don't take that snarky. It takes real work and effort to overcome trust issues and the person that created them has to want to do it. If they don't put in the effort to do the work to make it better it's because they aren't going to change and you don't mean as much as you think you do. If he has created trust issue in the past and still sees nothing wrong with what is going on then it's because he thinks you won't go anywhere and he can keep doing what he's doing. :frown:
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    yes, and they say it back.

usually they say it first, so I must reciprocate! male & female alike!
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Saying I love you
    Is not the words I want to hear from you
    It's not that I want you
    Not to say, but if you only knew
    How easy it would be to show me how you feel
    More than words is all you have to do to make it real
    Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
    'Cause I'd already know

YES! ;) This first and always, with words then means something. Such a pretty song too
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    i have told my friends - male and female - that i love them, but i do not say it regularly. usually it's when someone is going through a rough time. i don't think it's ever taken the wrong way.

This..I prefer to show my friends I care by being there when they need me and doing the things real friends do (Like hiding the bodies). If they are going through a rough time though I make sure to verbalize it.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    All the time, but with my male friends it's usually "Love you, buddy!"

^^this. and i use love as a verb more than a word. i like to do things to show it, so the words are just accessory.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* Sometimes. mostly to my wife, and Derpes though.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I missed the texting girl from office part.

I tell my dude friends that I love them because my husband is okay with it - we've discussed stuff like this at length (I'm a huge flirt). He's secure in our relationship, and it doesn't bother him at all - he knows he's my one and only.

I think if you're in a committed relationship, stuff like that needs to be discussed. Every single one of us on here could be okay with it - it only matters if you are. You have to set (and meet) boundaries that are unique to your relationship. If you're not okay with it - it's not okay.

Good luck.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I missed the texting girl from office part.

I tell my dude friends that I love them because my husband is okay with it - we've discussed stuff like this at length (I'm a huge flirt). He's secure in our relationship, and it doesn't bother him at all - he knows he's my one and only.

I think if you're in a committed relationship, stuff like that needs to be discussed. Every single one of us on here could be okay with it - it only matters if you are. You have to set (and meet) boundaries that are unique to your relationship. If you're not okay with it - it's not okay.

Good luck.

This ^^^

Look at you, voice of reason. :)

No, but seriously. It doesn't matter what everyone else--or even your S/O--is okay with. If you're not okay with it, don't put up with it. If he can't respect the fact that it's not okay with you for him to tell a woman you don't know he he loves her, then simply enter a relationship with someone who is willing to respect your boundaries. Good luck, OP!

Edited for grammar... again
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I usually say "love you" or "much love" to friends. It's mostly when they're going through a rough time & I'm reminding them that they aren't alone and that they are loved. Also, when one offers me that same support, I will say "love you" to show I care about and appreciate them.