Are Bananas Bad for You?

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bananas have a high glycemic index, so they are broken down into glucose really quickly, which causes a spike in insulin much more quickly than fruits with low glycemic indexes. The spike in insulin is associated with fat storage.

The association of insulin and fat storage is an oversimplification of how the cycle really works and has been promoted by people trying to sell books extolling the virtues of a low carb diet and how high GI foods are killing you.........

Here's an item that explains things in layman's terms, it's convenient that the low carnb promoters seem to forget all about glycogen storage (another function of insulin).....

Exactly.
    The broscience is strong in this thread. Perhaps the poster you quoted could look at the insulin spike from digesting protein and explain that...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ..are Bananas bad for you?
    Only if you stick them in your ear
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Bananas are loaded with potassium, which is an essential mineral that is sometimes missed if you are on a diet. In addition, the ease of which bananas can be packed, transported, and eaten makes them a great choice if you are on a diet. While bananas are relatively low in calories and fat, they don't necessarily have a whole lot of fiber. Fiber is an essential nutrient if you are on a diet, because it helps to keep you feeling fuller, longer and prevents overeating at future meals. In short, bananas make a good choice if you are on a diet because they are low in calories and fat. However, don't plan on eating a banana and having it keep you feeling full through your afternoon meeting.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/weight-loss-myth-bananas-carrots-and-almonds-are-good-if-you-are-trying-to-lose-weight.html#b
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was just doing my food diary and one banana had 20 grams of protein and since that sounded wrong I looked for another banana and it had only 1 gram. Sometimes the foods that are listed to choose from can have inaccurate information. So double check. It just seemed silly that one banana can make me go over in the protein intake.
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    Among other things, bananas are a good source of potassium. If you’re not potassium restricted then enjoy them. One-half of a banana (around 4 inches) or a small banana is a serving size.

Visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com at www.fastfoodvindication.com, on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen
  • nkrasinski
    nkrasinski Posts: 2
    Options
    25 Reasons Bananas ARE Good For You!! :happy:

1. Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin -- the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.

2. Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.

3. Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and nighttime leg cramps by eating a banana.

4. Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.

5. Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation.

6. Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.

7. Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.

8. High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.

9. Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.

10. Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.

11. Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.

12. Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhoea.

13. Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn and GERD.

14. Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.

15. Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.

16. Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.

17. Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing free radicals and protection from chronic disease.

18. Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness.

19. Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.

20. Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana.

21. Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.

22. The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan, helps to relieve Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

23. Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium to speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal.

24. Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against the wart and taping it in place.

25. Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple...are Bananas bad for you? Every time I pick up a banana for a snack someone seems to be yelling at me "that is going right to belly fat" true or false....

Absurd...
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    We should all worship the mighty banana.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Only if you leave the peels on the floor you walk on. In moderation, they are fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    NO, bananas are not bad for you. They are a great source of potassium and they taste great, so have them sliced in curry, raw, sliced with ginger sauce, drizzled with chocolate, the possibilities are endless.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    anything is bad for you if you overdo it - I probably have at least a banana a day - use it in my protein shakes or a snack before a workout. I haven't had any negative effects
  • fireproof30
    fireproof30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. do you go over your sugar for the day? then if so yes.

If you are looking to get super slim any added sugar can be bad but in most peoples situations it's just fine.
  • fireproof30
    fireproof30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and uh, what's the recommended daily allowance for sugar? That's right, ZERO.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    a thread from April 2011; thanks for all the benefits and a strong 2nd post.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Bananas are just creepy:

bananaman_gif-bin1.gif
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,102 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple...are Bananas bad for you? Every time I pick up a banana for a snack someone seems to be yelling at me "that is going right to belly fat" true or false....

Absurd...

Yes this does seem very bizarre - I eat a banana as part of my lunch nearly every day - I often take my lunch box and eat in food court of the large shopping centre where I work - despite eating so many bananas in public, nobody has ever yelled anything to me about them at all :laugh:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    They're not "bad" for you - they're just not the best choice most of the time.

Bananas have a high glycemic index after they ripen, which means that unless you're eating green bananas, they affect your blood sugar levels similar to when you eat white bread or sugar.

While most fruits like apples contain fructose and glucose, ripe bananas contain an extra kind of sugar: sucrose, which is basically akin to table sugar. That third type of sugar is why they affect blood sugar the way they do, and why a lot of people say don't eat them.

If you have one occasionally, it probably won't throw off your diet. Bananas have a lot of nutrients and benefits. But if you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't make that your fruit of choice.

A ripe banana, for this very reason, is a great choice for a carb prior to a high intensity workout. I eat one every single day before Crossfit.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    Is this a joke question?

Do people SERIOUSLY think bananas are bad for you?

wait...is this because of that stupid ad along the side of the screen sometimes that shows the browning banana...?

+1
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    They are so bad for you ... my daily intake of 1-2 has caused me to lose over 80 lbs this year.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    nope