"You're beautiful, you don't need to watch calories."

Options

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love your analogy and I completely agree.

People tell me I don't need to watch what I eat or exercise so much because I "look great".........no, I look great because I DO those things. If I DIDN'T, I wouldn't look great.

Agreed. People tell me this all the time, it's flattering, but it's not like I don't have to work for the body I have. I do work hard and eat mindfully. But I'll still have my piece of cake once in a while, just not every day. And not after a huge meal because my body doesn't like that...

(except dark chocolate, I have it everyday. Yum!)
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Well this is what it's come to.

We have to count calories to survive in this overindulgent and greedy world (I'm speaking as an overindulgent and greedy person).

Also, speaking as a Dual nationality Brit/Yank, I can say that I am gobsmacked how bad things are in the states. Just walking through one of the slimmer airports (lax) is shocking. (Why choose white shorts...why???)

I think it's so ingrained in the states to pig out, we've been completely brainwashed.

It's maybe a small coincidence since I've banned tv and papers and mags in my life for 18 months now that I've been leaner and healthier than in my whole life. That and calorie counting and triathlon training:drinker:

^such a good point.. one of my degrees wasin marketing and they really have brainwashed ppl..

no TV for me either.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I agree larger is seen as normal in the US. I lived in the US for several years and my husbands side is American. When I get clothing from the US, I'm always a size small. I am not a small at home, I am a medium and sometimes even a large in tops. Same with pant sizes (which are supposed to be the same in Canada, it's not like an England/US sizing difference) I am about a 5/6 pants but if I just got a pair from the US and I am swimming in them. I think they are about an 8 here, comparatively.

lol...

American clothes for women vary even in America. I can be a size 7 at one store, a size 5 at another. Sometimes an xsmall shirt fits me, sometimes I have to wear a small. That's why I never understood this argument.

Just had this problem at JCrew. Three different styles of tops, same manufacturer: linen short sleeve, linen tank, and vintage cotton tank. I needed an XS in one, a S in another, and a M in the third. The odd thing was that the shirt with sleeves, which you'd assume would be the one I'd need more room given there's more structure to it, was the one I needed an XS.

WTF?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I think the title is the problem. Three times in the last week people have noticed me logging food on my phone at a restaurant or on a plane. Yesterday I was recommending this awesome carrot cake to my mother-in-law and mentioned that I always split it with my husband because it has literally half the calories I get for the day.

All three times strangers have turned to me and said 'you don't need to watch your calories, you look great'.

Flattering. But that's the problem. I look fine because I do watch what I eat. If we did it right, we'd never have to 'lose' weight because we'd watch what we ate our whole life and just maintained.

For me, I did that fine until I got older and my metabolism slowed down faster than my eating.

Watching what you eat/calories shouldn't be associated with dieting. They should be associated with living - it's a prevention activity, not an intervention. Just like brushing your teeth prevents calories, it's not something you just do after you get cavities to make them go away.

End of rant.

Ughhhhh so much. What you eat is nobody else's business. I hate it when people make my food or lifestyle choices their business.

Also, a single slice of carrot cake has 1/2 your daily calories? HOLY *kitten*. That must be mass-produced cake. If you make your cake at home I promise it will not be that calorie-dense. I remember when NYC mandated that all fast-food restaurants post their calorie contents directly on the menu. While I don't eat McD's and all that, I did have Starbucks sometimes and I about crapped myself when I saw that a tiny Starbucks donut had 400 calories. How is it even physically possible to pack that many calories into such a tiny space? Is it made out of pure lard, or perhaps dark matter? I've noticed that all mass-produced cakes and pastries seem to have more fat in them than a homemade equivalent would have. Not that we should all be stuffing our pie holes with um, pie, all the time, but if you're gonna, then it's a good incentive to have homemade!

Some people manage to maintain without counting calories because they don't tend to eat foods which would be very calorie-dense. Or they are extremely active. Still, even if you're not counting calories it is important to choose healthy foods and limit unhealthy ones. But once healthy food choices, portion control, and activity becomes part of a lifestyle, it's more of a habit and you find you don't need to log all the calories all the time, it just happens naturally. Which is good, because logging all the time is a pain in the *kitten* and I think may contribute in some people to an unhealthy relationship with their food.

*Snort*

Totally depends on the cake. I love to bake. Most of my cakes come out between 350 and 500 calories per 1/10th of a 9" or 10" single layer cake. Make that sucker a four layer cake (2 layers cut in half) and slap some non-meringue-based frosting in there and your minimum calorie count is going to be >= 1000 cals, no problem.

Note, I do not make substitutions in cake recipes except to improve the flavor or texture, so don't give me any of that 'just substitute applesauce for oil' or similar. No. Almost always ruins the texture - though there are exceptions where it actually improves it.

There's an awesome recipe in the King Arthur flour mailer for a cake that has > 800 cals per 1/24th of a single layer 9" cake. Homemade, of course. According to the description, it's so rich 1/24th is all you'll want to eat.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Watching what you eat/calories shouldn't be associated with dieting. They should be associated with living - it's a prevention activity, not an intervention. Just like brushing your teeth prevents calories, it's not something you just do after you get cavities to make them go away.

I definitely agree with you here. I've had similar reactions before when people find out I track calories. I've been thin my entire life. "You don't need to be on a strict calorie diet," one of them said. And I quickly said back, "I'm not on a strict calorie diet..." and continued explaining that I'm a nerd and like keeping track of it.

People don't always understand that you can count calories for goals other than losing weight. It's something that can help you no matter what your goals are. For me, at the moment I am slowly bulking, so I want to get more than maintenance calories, but not too far above, so I don't add a bunch of extra fat while trying to add some muscle. And next time I cut, I will want to be below maintenance,but not too far below. Tracking calories is just as much about getting enough calories as it is about not getting too much.

And really, once you get used to using something like the mfp app, calorie tracking is almost a breeze. Yes, sometimes not easy, but not that big of a pain.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Also, a single slice of carrot cake has 1/2 your daily calories? HOLY *kitten*. That must be mass-produced cake. If you make your cake at home I promise it will not be that calorie-dense. I remember when NYC mandated that all fast-food restaurants post their calorie contents directly on the menu. While I don't eat McD's and all that, I did have Starbucks sometimes and I about crapped myself when I saw that a tiny Starbucks donut had 400 calories. How is it even physically possible to pack that many calories into such a tiny space? Is it made out of pure lard, or perhaps dark matter? I've noticed that all mass-produced cakes and pastries seem to have more fat in them than a homemade equivalent would have. Not that we should all be stuffing our pie holes with um, pie, all the time, but if you're gonna, then it's a good incentive to have homemade!

I remember when Starbucks started posting calorie counts and I learned that my beloved treat...the iced lemon pound cake had 480 calories. I haven't been able to bring myself to order it since.

I do think many Americans have become so accustomed to seeing overweight people that it has become the new normal. Not long ago, I was caught a few scenes from the old (1980) Dom Deluise movie "Fatso" on television...of course the whole story centered around the fact that his character was overweight. Fact is, if I walked into Walmart today, three out of five people would be bigger than he was in that movie. Even I looked at him and thought, he isn't THAT big.

And then there is vanity sizing. Which I am convinced exists partly so people can say they wear the same size they did in high school. That may be true, but the clothes have gotten bigger. When I was in high school (way back in the 1980s) size zero didn't exist. I wore a size 5 (juniors) and sometimes a 4 or 6 in misses sizes. Today I am the same size was in high school. After a quarter of a century and three babies, things may have shifted a bit, but overall I am probably in better shape now than then. And instead of wearing a 4/5/6 I am a 0...sometimes a 00. Yes I am small, but I am not "skinny" which makes me wonder where the really tiny girls shop.

I have wondered the same thing. Those that are very thin and are size 0 and not a vanity 0 where in the heck do they get their clothes?? The little girls section?? I'm sure vanity sizing has gotten to the little girls section as well though :/

The carrot cake is truly astonishing! Yuck!

And my mom is one of the very thin, small women, and always has been. I believe from when she was young (in the '60's) to about the early '90's, she always wore a size 6. Starting in the '90's sometime, she started having to get smaller and smaller clothing sizes; now she often wears a 0 or a 2. Since I've lost the weight I wanted to lose, I can now fit into a lot of her clothes, to my surprise-- and I'm in size XS/4 or even sometimes a 2. I seem to remember that when I was a teenager and was this size before, things that fit me were more like a 4 or 6? Certainly clothing sizes are now massively different than they used to be. :grumble:
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I reached goal 3 months ago and I always enter everything in MFP or look up foods. People say the same thing to me -- you don't need to lose any more weight! Well, I'm a size 8, which I am thrilled with but that is not overly thin! And many people start a diet at size 8!

My daughter spent last summer in Europe and when she came home she said "wow, I never realized how overweight almost everyone here is".

I remember when I was a kid watching the Andy Griffith show and I used to think Aunt Bee was so big. I saw a rerun the other day and she didn't look that bad at all, she was overweight but not anything that abnormal. In addition, I thought she was really old, now when I saw her she didn't seem that old, in fact younger than I am now. :)

I agree with the great advice on here - just smile and say something like "I want to stay this way" or "I just love entering my food!"
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I kinda end up with the opposite problem.. very over weight but I have lost 18 lbs so far and in 51 days.. I work out 6 days a week and always pay attention to what and how much I eat.. I also never deny myself because I have learned in the past that when I do I end up binging on all the worst things... So if I go out to eat I order up whatever it is that is yummy... and I never eat it all.. I portion out my order and will take the rest home, either for the next day or for my daughter or girlfriend to have... but the stares and snide remarks are bad.. I used to let it bother me but now... I remember that I know what it is I am doing and must be doing it right for all the NSV and the lowering numbers on the scale.
  • marleyskye05
    marleyskye05 Posts: 138
    Options
    Ugh yes ! You hit the nail right on the head.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Next time someone says that to you, punch them in the face. J/K. But seriously why can't people shut up and mind their own business? I see a lady at work who is always walking at lunch and she's joined a fit group. She's very thin. But you know what I think? I think WOW! She works hard to keep herself at a healthy weight. I don't think "Why is she doing this? She looks fine."

Sigh... I seriously like my dogs more than most people. Yeah that's awful, I know. :)
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I reached goal 3 months ago and I always enter everything in MFP or look up foods. People say the same thing to me -- you don't need to lose any more weight! Well, I'm a size 8, which I am thrilled with but that is not overly thin! And many people start a diet at size 8!

My daughter spent last summer in Europe and when she came home she said "wow, I never realized how overweight almost everyone here is".

I remember when I was a kid watching the Andy Griffith show and I used to think Aunt Bee was so big. I saw a rerun the other day and she didn't look that bad at all, she was overweight but not anything that abnormal. In addition, I thought she was really old, now when I saw her she didn't seem that old, in fact younger than I am now. :)

I agree with the great advice on here - just smile and say something like "I want to stay this way" or "I just love entering my food!"

My husband I and I went to Europe in March. Your daughter is right. America is fat. I rarely saw an overweight person. I was definitely one of the fattest people there (this after having lost 30 lbs.... ) Europeans walk and bike everywhere and also eat less garbage.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be your friend if that's your rant. I say those things all the time. But, only now since I'm getting healthier.
  • Kingtjr47
    Kingtjr47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And this is the crux of the issue. To truly be in charge, change (y)our habits and maintain (y)our accomplishments this is the mental position we must reach. Thank you for the 'rant'.
  • SixteenthOfJuly
    Options
    They skinny shame so much.. It's not even funny
  • Kingtjr47
    Kingtjr47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And this is the crux of the issue. To truly be in charge, change (y)our habits and maintain (y)our accomplishments this is the mental position we must reach. Thank you for the 'rant'.
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Although judging by the amount of snack food (particularly cookies and candy) everyone in my company's Shanghai office shoves down their throat while working, China looks like it might be confronting some of the same problems as the US in about 10 years. Sad, especially when food in China is unbelievably good and incredibly healthy (on the whole)

Yeah, I guess Chinese food *would* be healthy if it didn't have so many horrendous food safety issues. The way it's prepared is generally healthy but you cannot trust many (most, even) of the foods here, even fresh ones. We may not be getting fat from the food but god knows what is happening internally. Which terrifies me.

And you're right, Chinese people are getting fatter, but they've got a long way to go culturally before they get to the American level of consumption. They're well on their way, though.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This is so true. Although judging by the amount of snack food (particularly cookies and candy) everyone in my company's Shanghai office shoves down their throat while working, China looks like it might be confronting some of the same problems as the US in about 10 years. Sad, especially when food in China is unbelievably good and incredibly healthy (on the whole)

Yeah, I guess Chinese food *would* be healthy if it didn't have so many horrendous food safety issues. The way it's prepared is generally healthy but you cannot trust many (most, even) of the foods here, even fresh ones. We may not be getting fat from the food but god knows what is happening internally. Which terrifies me.

And you're right, Chinese people are getting fatter, but they've got a long way to go culturally before they get to the American level of consumption. They're well on their way, though.

Korea and Japan used to be poor countries and most of the population suffered from malnutrition. During recent decades, with increased prosperity, there has been a big shift in population weight. In recent years I have encountered many more overweight people in S Korea and Japan.

The biggest deterrence to being overweight in Japan is that one is forced into a much more active lifestyle. Walking to the train station, going up and down stairs, waiting around for the train/subway, standing in a crowded train, etc. I travel 2 to 3 times a year to Japan and I always eat a lot (including McDonald's) while visiting, but I always end up losing weight.

Also, it's really expensive to eat a lot in Japan. I've gone grocery shopping there for 1 lb of ground beef, 1 lb of mozzarella, 1 lb of mushrooms and those three times have cost over $50. In fact most ground beef there is a mix of pork and beef to keep costs down.

So in the end, food is much cheaper here than in Japan (or China) so it's not a surprise that we are also much fatter.
  • LipglossandLunges
    LipglossandLunges Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that lately the "fat acceptance" thing is swinging a little too far the other way, and all of the sudden people are slamming skinny people left and right. If I hear "real women have CURVES" one more time I'm going to scream! We should be accepting of ALL body types. The main goal should really be health anyway.
    [/quote]

THIS! :drinker:
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you're in maintenance, you realize that diligence will be a mainstay. That said, you also realize that comments of this nature are common and if you want them to stop or at least lessen, then certain acts on your part will have to take place.

For instance....
    Three times in the last week people have noticed me logging food on my phone at a restaurant or on a plane.

If you need to log food, why do it when people are around you and they actually know you are logging food? Why not do it in private?
    Yesterday I was recommending this awesome carrot cake to my mother-in-law and mentioned that I always split it with my husband because it has literally half the calories I get for the day.

Why would you have to say something like that out loud? Just recommend the awesome carrot cake. Why tell her how much of it you ate?