"You're beautiful, you don't need to watch calories."

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I think the title is the problem. Three times in the last week people have noticed me logging food on my phone at a restaurant or on a plane. Yesterday I was recommending this awesome carrot cake to my mother-in-law and mentioned that I always split it with my husband because it has literally half the calories I get for the day.

All three times strangers have turned to me and said 'you don't need to watch your calories, you look great'.

Flattering. But that's the problem. I look fine because I do watch what I eat. If we did it right, we'd never have to 'lose' weight because we'd watch what we ate our whole life and just maintained.

For me, I did that fine until I got older and my metabolism slowed down faster than my eating.

Watching what you eat/calories shouldn't be associated with dieting. They should be associated with living - it's a prevention activity, not an intervention. Just like brushing your teeth prevents calories, it's not something you just do after you get cavities to make them go away.

End of rant.

Replies

• njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I have exercised since I was a teenage and can honestly say aside from being pregnant, I have never really been overweight. It's always the unhealthy overweight co-workers that say I'm too hard on myself. I don't see it that way at all. It really is a lifestyle.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't eat half of a slice of carrot cake, I eat the WHOLE piece!!!.....and it still fits into my calories. Moderation is the key word here. :wink:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!! I agree 100 %.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore them. I plan to count calories for life personally even when I get down to a normal weight range. I got obese in the first place by not being responsible and watching what I eat, I'll get back there again if I don't.

Also another thing to consider, after I reach my goal weight I plan to gain muscle, which can only be done in a calorie surplus scenario. I'd rather not gain all the fat back by over-eating when I'm just trying to improve muscle mass.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    one more thing...americans in general dont understand what a normal weight even looks like on a person because EVERYONE is overweight. Even the people they think look good are overweight so it becomes the norm.

The people that are actually the appropriate weight are viewed as crazy Gym fitness nuts who are obsessed.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I like you!

:drinker:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think the title is the problem. Three times in the last week people have noticed me logging food on my phone at a restaurant or on a plane. Yesterday I was recommending this awesome carrot cake to my mother-in-law and mentioned that I always split it with my husband because it has literally half the calories I get for the day.

All three times strangers have turned to me and said 'you don't need to watch your calories, you look great'.

Flattering. But that's the problem. I look fine because I do watch what I eat. If we did it right, we'd never have to 'lose' weight because we'd watch what we ate our whole life and just maintained.

For me, I did that fine until I got older and my metabolism slowed down faster than my eating.

Watching what you eat/calories shouldn't be associated with dieting. They should be associated with living - it's a prevention activity, not an intervention. Just like brushing your teeth prevents calories, it's not something you just do after you get cavities to make them go away.

End of rant.

Your profile is private and your default picture is not of you....just some wallpaper/image. It is impossible for me to tel if you actually do look great/are beautiful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most people don't get that. I don't log anymore and have been maintaining for over a year now, but I'm still very mindful of what goes into my mouth and keep a rough estimate of my intake in my head and know roughly where I stand.

I always get grief from the guys at work because I ride pretty much every day at lunch and just brown bag it while they make the daily run to Lou's for a carne adovada burrito that could easily feed 3 people or a plate full of chicharones...they're always telling me I've lost the weight and I can cut lose now. They just don't get it...I look the way I do and have maintained this because I eat right and in appropriate quantities and I rock my fitness...people just associate this kind of stuff with weight loss rather than maintenance. Just look at the sheer number of people on MFP who don't understand why you would exercise for any reason beyond just burning calories.
  • cnd8304
    cnd8304 Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't eat half of a slice of carrot cake, I eat the WHOLE piece!!!.....and it still fits into my calories. Moderation is the key word here. :wink:

I believe the half of cake is her form of moderation. Like she said, that is all that fit into her calorie budget that day. She still allowed herself to indulge, just didn't over do it. Not sure where you were going with what you were saying, but anyways...good day :)
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    one more thing...americans in general dont understand what a normal weight even looks like on a person because EVERYONE is overweight. Even the people they think look good are overweight so it becomes the norm.

The people that are actually the appropriate weight are viewed as crazy Gym fitness nuts who are obsessed.
    Totally agree ^^^
    I'm 5'6 and 120 pounds and I'm called "skinny". I'm not skinny, I'm healthy! :noway:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Love your analogy and I completely agree.

People tell me I don't need to watch what I eat or exercise so much because I "look great".........no, I look great because I DO those things. If I DIDN'T, I wouldn't look great.
  • LC458
    Options

I believe the half of cake is her form of moderation. Like she said, that is all that fit into her calorie budget that day. She still allowed herself to indulge, just not over did it. Not sure where you were going with what you were saying, but anyways...good day :)

Saw this and thought the same thing :huh:
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just smile and say "I'm just doing preventative maintenance". Some of them get it, some of them smile and nod. Either way it works.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that three random strangers complimented you and this led you to rant.

IN to see what happens when OP gets insulted.
  • LC458
    Options
    Failed quoting
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I hate that! I'm a healthy weight because I pay attention to what I eat, so don't tell me I can afford to have dessert after I know I just ate a huge, high calorie restaurant meal. If it fits, I'll eat it. If not, I'll hold off.
  • LC458
    Options

Totally agree ^^^
    I'm 5'6 and 120 pounds and I'm called "skinny". I'm not skinny, I'm healthy! :noway:

Agreed! When I mentioned to my 12 year old son the girls in his school loked a little heavy he told me "they all look like that" and sadly they do, and it is the norm and not healthy :(

They also tell me I have "california body" in a new england state and have to "fatten up"

so disturbing

Eh the "norm" is completely overrated anyways. I think you look fantastic! I'm sure they're green over your "California body" :wink: