The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.

And so much this. I think I'll be a fat girl inside forever.
  • caffeinified
    caffeinified Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump. This is the best post.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Diet changes + Yoga = lots of farts. For me at least. Maybe I'm just a gassy girl.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Diet changes + Yoga = lots of farts. For me at least. Maybe I'm just a gassy girl.

Also squatting.

Also lifting in general.

You're going to fart in public is what I'm saying here.
  • rorae
    rorae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    -- It takes your brain way longer to catch up with your body (i.e., you still feel you are/look heavier than you really are).

-- Nobody tells you to forget all the cr*p you tried/heard about in the past, open your mind, listen to people who have had success before you and learn before you leap.

-- Achieving results you never thought possible might make you reflect on many parts of your life and make the entire process more emotional than you expected.

-- Not losing weight on the scale doesn't mean you aren't making progress; you are fitter/stronger/healthier than before.

this ! especially the emotional part for me.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between what is ADVICE THAT MAY HELP YOU, and actual biological fact. Breakfast, when you eat, how often, etc. None of those biologically make a difference with weight loss, but they may help an individual reach the same end result.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    About all the farting that occurs at the squat rack. And running gives you the best endorphin high ever.

Oh, and nobody told me how expensive it would be to replace all my clothes multiple times, even by shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    That it was actually pretty easy when I didn't over complicate the process.

^^^ this
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how much my weight was impacting my confidence until I was ready to lose it. When I look back at pictures, I can see how uncomfortable I was, even in my wedding pictures when I was over the moon. I'm not too far from my first goal weight, and I can see such a huge change in myself, and how I look in pictures.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to eat like a rabbit to see results.

That the best weight loss "supplements" are a good attitude and the courage to take those first steps to changing my lifestyle.

That exercise is the best, cheapest antidepressant.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how much more wonderful i feel after making new progress. I feel lighter, fitter, stronger, less flabby.

But when i gain 10lb back, it feels more disgusting than it did before i lost it. Motivation to keep it off i suppose.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    nobody told me how much advice I would get from people (not in here but in the outside world) who are overweight and don't eat right and don't exercise. everybody is a diet consultant!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    It was way more expensive that I expected....over and above the money that I spent on my gym and my trainer, there was new clothes, including the undergarments, rings were all too big, new work out clothes on top of the other clothes (multiple times after 120 pounds) new shoes (my feet shrunk)

I sleep a lot better, not longer, just better

I also never thought anyone would give my trouble for being to "into" working out.

and a lot of the stuff already mentioned
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.
    That's a good one.

Also, that overweight people would judge me and call me too skinny. I never saw that coming.
  • sealionwoman23
    Options
    I'm just starting to learn that it's a lot easier to approach weight loss from a very scientific "if I do x, y will happen" approach than the old emotional approach I've unfortunately used in the past. The farther removed I can get from the process emotionally speaking, the easier it is for me to not get bummed out and keep going no matter what each individual day brings.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For me, it was that being successful can sometimes be scary. Almost every time I lose 10 pounds, I go back up. Being heavy my whole life means I don't know any other way and that's terrifying!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and maintenance are easy and straightforward. It just takes patience, consistency, and perseverance. :drinker:
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    That I don't have to eat like a rabbit to see results.

That the best weight loss "supplements" are a good attitude and the courage to take those first steps to changing my lifestyle.

That exercise is the best, cheapest antidepressant.

this^^^.. this was the most important and best thing I have learned!!! Also that you dont need a gym membership to lose weight!!! I have lost 18 lbs so far with walking outside, dance workouts and light strength training at home.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    That I'd see my doctor more when I started trying to get healthier and lose weight compared to getting fat(ter) and happy:

Multiple sprains (first one had nothing to do with a workout but impacted it)
    Asthma
    Thyroid testing
    Some hip inflammation
    Took knock off Claritin for a while due to sneezing uncontrollably after classes

Etc etc. I was tempted to give up sometimes but just kept on pushing. After about the third visit I realized hey, this may actually be part of the deal

Haven't had to see her in a while other than routine check ups, though
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options

this