The Things No One Tells You About Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• sngilles
    sngilles Posts: 1
    Options
    That the scale will fluctuate...thus make you happy one day and cry the other!!!

Moreover, eating more calories and burning off those calories will only put your body into starvation mode...this is going to be a lifelong journey.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    This is great stuff, guys! Thanks to all who posted!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That you have to replace your WHOLE wardrobe - even pajamas, bras, underwear, coats and even BOOTS that used to be snug and are now not so much with the snug. I was expecting to have to replace my clothes, but it didn't occur to me that even my underwear would have to be replaced, for some reason. It's honestly pretty expensive. I'm living with pajamas I'm swimming in for now.
  • applecheeksaz
    applecheeksaz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks right now I really needed to read that struggling and just feeling defeated :(
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That reaching my goal weight is not the end of the journey......it's the beginning of the marathon.....and it is going to be a whole lot easier to run without all the extra weight. :smile:
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    That you have to replace your WHOLE wardrobe - even pajamas, bras, underwear, coats and even BOOTS that used to be snug and are now not so much with the snug. I was expecting to have to replace my clothes, but it didn't occur to me that even my underwear would have to be replaced, for some reason. It's honestly pretty expensive. I'm living with pajamas I'm swimming in for now.

This, and I've had to replace a lot = I refused to buy new pjs = basically, bigger tshirts/workout pants got saved for that along the way

I have a list :) because I have been doing this for a while ...

I now have a totally different relationship with clothes - after shrinking out of way too many sizes.

And that my clothing style totally changed - where before I avoided fitted clothes, now I want them to fit like they were made for me - but ultimately I own a lot less than I did to start with and it is a whole lot less frumpy now

I learned that too big underwear are probably more uncomfortable than too small underwear

I learned it is possible to go up a cup size in bra's and now know how they are actually sized

I learned that your internal climate control can be broken (I wear jackets in 80 degree weather because I am cold)

Once you reset your eating habits, you come to realize that 1500 cals can be a lot to eat. at 1800 calories I feel like I feast daily

I learned that exercise is not the cure to weight loss... your diet is... (at least that one I learned after the third time finally)

that feet can shrink too... not just in width, but the actual size. I was a 9 1/2 wide for most of my life. I bought a pair of size 8 converse today...

Socks are the only things you own that will not need replacing... be thankful for that size 4-10 sizing...

I learned that I wasn't actually big boned... I was just big... I actually had a small frame hiding under there... who knew?
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That the closer you get to your goal, the more negative comments you'll hear from family and friends.
  • dancingmuffin
    dancingmuffin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That your weight loss can be up setting to some friends
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That the changes you make have to be for life and not the short term.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    No matter how great it's going now, or how much you lost one week, there are going to be bad weeks - even when you do everything right!

The best thing to do is keep on going. Cry it out if you have to and take out your anger at the gym. Don't give up just because it got hard (or harder in some cases)!

Also water weight is a pain.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh also, goodbye boobs.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That it takes a lot longer for your self-image to catch up to your actual image.
    That's a good one.

Also, that overweight people would judge me and call me too skinny. I never saw that coming.

Agree
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is always better than working with light weights for "toning only". Heavy weights increase your tone, strength, and speed for sports even if you can't or do not want to "bulk". The difference was astounding! Also, you burn a whole heck of a lot more calories to support muscle. I didn't know that either. Women who lift heavy don't start to look like men unless they "juice" with steroids. You cannot tell they lift until they flex or lift something really heavy. You also shrink without losing weight with heavy lifting. I've found cardio (my sport is cardio heavy) and heavy weights are the perfect combination.

Cardio alone takes away the areas you want to keep. Strength Training with an accent of cardio gives you the shape most women are really trying for.
  • LoveDanceSing
    LoveDanceSing Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You guys are answering a lot of questions that I didn't think anyone else would post about! Especially the underwear thing... I've been dreading buying new clothes cuz of how much weight my gw is from my sw and cw
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    That you could lose 70lbs and still be able to wear the same clothes you wore when you started...

That weight loss for women can cause major hormone changes, that in turn can cause serious complications and situations you never had before...
    ~This process has cost me 1/3 of my babymaker and my periods are horrendous in comparison to when I started!!! lol

You may need to go down in shoe size.

You may have a periods of time where your skin is like a teenager's, breaking out and such, as your body cleans itself.

It is entirely possible to lose 2-3 pounds taking a poop.

The Scooby's calculator can be way off...

Other fat people who have resigned themselves to being overweight for life might get really mad at you for being the one fat person that is actually succeeding in their life.

That you can be very well-educated on the subject and have results to prove it, but if you're still really overweight, people will tell you that you have no right to talk about fitness and healthy lifestyles.

That no matter how many times you explain till you're blue in the face, no one will believe that you eat less than your BMR or that you have diagnosed anorexia/bulimia if you're fat, and they'll tell you it's okay to starve yourself during your weight loss efforts.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    - It takes time for your mind to catch up to your body. Physically sure, you weigh less but when you look in the mirror you will still see the old, fat you.

- A hammer and nail are your best friends when it comes to belts.

- As you are progressing with your weight loss, buying new clothes can still be a hassle especially when you are in between sizes. An example for me as a guy being 6'3 certain shirt sizes are just the right length but too big width wise and the next size down it's a perfect fit width wise but now the length is too short.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options

- A hammer and nail are your best friends when it comes to belts.

when I decided I needed a new belt, I picked up one at the consignment store that had holes all around so I would only need the one
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    That you can eat fairly healthy food and exercise and still stay the same weight or even put on weight, if you're not eating at a deficit.

My meal portion sizes were all pretty massive and I accidentally maintained at 76kg for years, with several failed attempts to lose weight. I was almost ready to give up, thinking my body just wanted to be that weight because it always bounced back to it if I lost a couple of kilos. With MFP I have now finally got down to 71kg, 7 more to go!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    you will no longer have the luxury of cushioning when you attempt to sit on hard surfaces.

THIS!!! I used to be able to sit on hardwood floors for ages, no problems. Now, my .... *kitten* bone really hurts! =/