cottage cheese = YUCK!

Options
i wanted to try cottage cheese since i herd that its very popular. its high in protein and wanted to try something else rather than greek yoghurt. so i bought a pot yesterday, fat free, scooped some passion fruit in, mixed with some seeds, nuts and pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg. i put the first spoon in my mouth and just wanted to spit it out YUCK! :sick: . i tried again just to make sure and still the same. i dont know what it is- the lump texture? sour taste?, but how do people eat this?

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Because its delicious. Its actually one of those things I used to eat waaay too much of.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Anyone can say that about any food. So you don't like cottage cheese- don't get it again, don't eat it, and get on with your life. Simple.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love it! I personally think youre eating it a weird way. I eat it with savoury foods, thats just me though :laugh:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are loads of foods you like that people will think are horrible.
    If you feel that strongly about it, throw it away and dont buy it again!!

Anyway what you added to the cottage cheese sounds rank to be honest!! No wonder you hated it. GROSS!!
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i usually use something like that when i use greek yoghurt, are you saying cottage cheese is more for savoury dishes
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    No you can put fruit in, Pineapple is nice.
    Nuts and Raisins are great too.
    Cracked Black Pepper and Grapes.
    Not too sure about the spices though, I can see it tasting powdery.

Take a look in the supermarket to see what they add to cottage cheese.

If the texture is what you dont like, you wont like it whatever you put in!!
  • amwbox
    Options
    i usually use something like that when i use greek yoghurt, are you saying cottage cheese is more for savoury dishes

Oh yes. Some weirdos mix pineapple with it...but that is heresy.

If it tells you anything cottage cheese is often substituted for ricotta in lasagna.

Personally I mix it with nothing. Plain, with a spoon, from the container.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It's good in scrambled eggs with cheese.
    And don't get fat free, 2% is better.

Also, salted sunflower seeds on top! (shells off, of course)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese was sold here in Australia sometimes mixed with crushed pineapple - but Passionfruit?? No, maybe try it next time just on a cracker biscuit with a slice of tomato and some black pepper? A lot of new foods take a bit of getting used to, it's worth giving it another shot. Especially since you have a container full :laugh:
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Passion fruit with cottage cheese? Not sure that is a combination I'd enjoy...the tartness probably not a good mix with the cottage cheese

I sometimes chop an apple, pear, banana or some pineapple and mix in with cottage cheese...quite nice...the sweetness of the fruit offsets the cottage cheese nicely
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's lumpy but it shouldn't be sour. It's creamy and lumpy and the same time.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

Hello, weirdo here, I love my 70% fat free cottage cheese with pineapple in, lol. I do myself 2 slices of toast and eat 100g with each slice, I take I forkfall of cottage cheese and a bite of toast, it's one of my favs because I feel like I'm having a healthy munch out.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There are lumpy varieties, and creamy varieties. I used to bake cheesecakes out of the creamy stuff, and they were even better than the real deal. Even though I have more leeway with calories now in maintenance, I still eat cottage cheese very often, just because I like it. Try some other brands. (And the one I have is not sour...)
  • brokentide
    brokentide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Genuine question...is that an American thing? In my country (and some European countries I've travelled to), cottage cheese is incredible. It's not at all mushy or lumpy, it's more like whipped cream actually (even the low-fat versions)
  • amwbox
    Options

Hello, weirdo here, I love my 70% fat free cottage cheese with pineapple in, lol. I do myself 2 slices of toast and eat 100g with each slice, I take I forkfall of cottage cheese and a bite of toast, it's one of my favs because I feel like I'm having a healthy munch out.

Blasphemy!

I suppose your one of those monsters who ruin perfectly good pizza by putting pineapple on it, aren't you? :D

Don't get me wrong. I love pineapple. Just not in cottage cheese, and not on pizza, and not even on ham.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    It's good in scrambled eggs with cheese.
    And don't get fat free, 2% is better.

Also, salted sunflower seeds on top! (shells off, of course)

I love cottage cheese and scarmbled eggs! Full fat for me though :happy:
  • amwbox
    Options
    Genuine question...is that an American thing? In my country (and some European countries I've travelled to), cottage cheese is incredible. It's not at all mushy or lumpy, it's more like whipped cream actually (even the low-fat versions)

The chunks are the individual curds of cheese, the liquid is the whey. Its what defines the stuff as cottage cheese.

You can process it into a smooth paste if you want...though whipping air into it like cream...not sure how that would work.

Are you sure your talking about cottage cheese...as opposed to something like mascarpone or ricotta? Which are of course totally different things.
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese - I agree - Yuck!
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I love love love cottage cheese especially when I make an omelet with smoked ham bell peppers and a little spring onion and broccoli

When i plate it,I put the omelet on the side lots of cherry tomatoes with cracked black pepper and salad leaves and a big portion 60g of cottage cheese on the side
    It really compliments the salty smoked ham and eggs
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Maybe its b/c you got the fat free kind. Try some that is 2% or higher. It taste so much better, IMO. Brands also very in thickness. Our favorite brand is Daily Chef from Sam's. I love to eat is plain along with my salad at lunch. YUM! I just wish it was lower in sodium.