Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Shamelessl bumping for moar answers!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If you were very heavy when you started, you will start discovering new body parts, and not all of them in a good way... you will no longer have the luxury of cushioning when you attempt to sit on hard surfaces.

Yes. I am indeed researching a "knee pillow" for side sleeping. Words I never thought I would write!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EV52OH2?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

It's like getting to know yourself and your body all over again, when you haven't been this weight in X years or Y decades
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And after eating healthy for so long, if you try to go back and eat something horrible, you can feel so bloated and sick! Like poisoned or something

And how you wonder sometimes if it'll be different this time, if you've tried before.

And how you really have to learn to love yourself and take better care of the one body you have, no matter the shape.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    On the topic of clothes:

That none of your shoes will fit (who knew there was so much fat on my feet?)

That your body will change shape and you'll have to learn which clothes are flattering on you all over again because it won't be the same.

That there's a sweet spot where clothes will be easier to find (size 6-8) but if you continue to get smaller it'll be difficult to find your size again.

That you really need to get properly fitted for a bra. I was disappointed by my boobs at first but getting the right size bra helped tremendously.

That there's a bit of a mental struggle to let go of the old, too large, clothes. Also that it will be a struggle to wear the smaller, shorter, less modest clothes that are available in your new size. For me, the clothes that actual fit me felt so tight at first. Not because they really were but just because I was still wearing all my stuff that was 2 sizes too big.
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That eating 1200 calories and exercising like a mad woman can equate to absolutely no loss.

That taking Dr. Oz's supplement of the day isn't going fix me.

That the relentless cycle of crushing defeat could have been avoided and thousands of dollars on potions, pills, shakes, and injections would still be mine if I just followed a simple plan that involved moving more and eating less EVERY SINGLE DAY. (For me this means to keep plodding forward even when the scale doesn't move or goes up and even when the motivation has left me.)

That evey bite does count and my body logs what I eat even when I don't put it into MFP.

I wish with all my heart 30+ year ago someone would have sat me down and explained TDEE and IIFYM to me.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    you will no longer have the luxury of cushioning when you attempt to sit on hard surfaces.

THIS!!! I used to be able to sit on hardwood floors for ages, no problems. Now, my .... *kitten* bone really hurts! =/

My *kitten* hurts when sitting on anything too long.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    You can exercise 3 hours a day and still not lose if you are still eating too much.
  • trinity5703
    trinity5703 Posts: 78
    Options
    Drinking 2-3 liters of water a day will require at least 2 middle of the night fluid adjustments :)

That the majority of the "skinny" clothes in your closet that you've been saving for years for when you lost weight are no longer right for your new body, horribly out of date, and just plain ugly!

That underwear that are too large will crawl up into places best left unsaid and force you to find someplace discreet to remove them.

That being properly fitted and finding styles/brands of bra's that best fit your body is the best gift you can give yourself... even if the suckers are expensive as **it!

You WILL walk out of your favorite shoes while running through the airport to catch a plane.

That not only will you benefit from a daily 45 minute walk, so will the dog.

That one morning while laying on your back in bed, you will discover your hip bones stick out... and will be astounded.

That the planned "splurge" on a favorite pre-weight lose food will cause untold gastric distress, and cause you to remain housebound for at least 24 hrs

That Im STILL addicted to Dominos thin crust pizza... but I know my limits and can stick to them :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

The Scooby's calculator can be way off...

THIS has been so true for me, everyone's always on about how Scooby's is the best one and maybe it is for most people, I don't pretend to know otherwise - but for me it was way off (I lost 3-4 lbs a week consistently on what Scooby told me was a 15% cut from my TDEE. Once I had enough data to figure out my ACTUAL TDEE it came out nearly 1,000 calories higher than what Scooby gave me)
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just want to come back to this later!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That if you eat extra and plan to exercise it away, your brain will find a way to glue you to couch or cut your sessions short even if otherwise you are usually consistent with exercise. ALWAY exercise BEFORE you eat back.
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents. only around 28 down so far, but this is what I've got...
    This would be current me talking to beginner me, years back when I tried all those stupid... things that restricted and never worked.

-People aren't going to notice. You're not going to notice. You won't magically start shrinking and see it happen and have other people see it happen.

-You probably won't be happy with it. At least not for a very long time.

-You're never gonna feel like you're doing enough, or doing it right.

-You DO have collarbones. Yep, you do. Yes, I'm sure that there isn't just empty space there. You also have hipbones.

-You're gonna have excess skin. You won't become magically pretty and toned and without stretch marks after you lose those 100lbs... Yeah, it sucks, I know.

-You see those stairs? The ones you've been having a hard time climbing, and you think they're gonna be a breeze once you get fit? The ones that are looking at you as you're looking at them, and you could almost hear their evil laugh because you can't climb 'em? Yeah, they're still gonna be your #1 enemy, even after you start working out.

-Guess what? You've got muscles you never even knew you had. And you're gonna learn that through pain.

-Following up the previous one, workout pain can actually feel so good.

-It actually takes longer than 6 months to lose 100 lbs! Go figure.

-Lifting weights! Yeah, I know all you ever heard was to take walks and go run, and that's fine. But you know what's finer than fine? Lifting weights.

-You're gonna want to run. You hate it right now, but you're gonna like it. You still won't be able to run to save your life though

That's about it for me right now. I've a long way to go so I still probably have many more things to learn.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    If you're an above-average height girl, trousers in smaller sizes will start being too short! Seriously, my ankles come out every time I sit down. I can't bring myself to be too heartbroken about it though. UK size 12/14 (16 US?) to size 8 (4 US).

Yes! I have 33 in inseam and the Skinny jeans I bought are freaking high waters on me! I'm always trying to pull them down to cover my ankles lol. I've gone from a US 20 to a 6 in Jeans
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

- A hammer and nail are your best friends when it comes to belts.

when I decided I needed a new belt, I picked up one at the consignment store that had holes all around so I would only need the one

Yep! Belts are my new best friend! I have borrowed my dad's leather punch a few times. I bought a belt with holes all around too, but the belt itself is ripping and and tearing now from pulling the belt tight. I'll have to throw it away soon :-(
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    For the people who are having problems with smaller sizes also being too short: look in to tall sizes. The place where I buy jeans (Eddie Bauer) has four different body shape cuts for women that are also available in regular, regular short, regular long, tall, petite, and plus. That gives you a lot of variety to find the right size! (I'm a curvy fit, regular short.)

I think for me it's how much my husband trying to be supportive sounds like nagging to me when I'm tired (of course that could be him actually being bad at phrasing things).

How big of a chunk of time exercise will take out of my day!

How tiny changes in a recipe can make a big difference in calories. (My morning coffee drink went from 270 to 120 calories and is just as good.)

How many cool things I will see when I'm out walking in open space with my dog (yesterday evening it was a fledgling bird still with fuzz on its body trying out its wings).
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks everyone!

Everything I thought of has been said, often in ways that made me laugh out loud. Peeing, oh yes....

Right now I especially relate to not having enough padding to sit comfortably on hard surfaces and needing to replace clothes with something that actually fits. It's wonderful to realize that I'm a smaller size and clothes look better, but EXPENSIVE. (I'll take it, though!)

ETA: Also the poster who said the walks were good for the dog(s) too - mine are much happier these days!
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    4. Your bowel movements are going to go nuts when you try to replace your "unhealthy" diet with a bunch of raw veggies and other distress causing items.

5. Increased water intake makes you pee. A lot.

I can second this.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Also, you find you can actually buy clothes due to how they look, not if they are big enough!
  • tethar
    tethar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Being healthy is a NEED, not a want. When I started putting my NEEDS above the rest of my household's WANTS, I don't feel guilty for going for a run/buying more veggies/bringing home less junk/making different dinners for me vs husband and daughter/using the TV to play Zumba on the Xbox (except when Hockey is on because then I'm pretty sure both of them would murder me)
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That i can still eat a good amount of food and lose weight rather then going nuts and only eating 1200. I am relieved that i can eat almost normally and still lose doing a bit of exercise :)