So, I must be logging or doing something wrong.

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is where we can learn from GI Joe. Knowing really is half the battle.

Sometimes I don't want to know because I want to not have to make choices. That's fine, it's my body, but it also doesn't get me where I want to be, because my body doesn't care whether or not I know what I'm doing, it's still going to obey the laws of nature.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem and thing I had to learn was to not drink my calories. Once that was under control the rest became fairly simple.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

Even with hypothyroidism, it's unlikely that you were eating around 1200 calories if you are currently 220 lbs. Most of us underestimate how much we eat.

Buy yourself a food scale or some measuring utensils. It's the only way out of your current dilemma short of just eliminating the drinks.

Hypo isn't a crutch. You need to take responsibility, too. I have hashimotos.. yes it makes things difficult, but food and poor choices are to blame too.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

Even with hypothyroidism, it's unlikely that you were eating around 1200 calories if you are currently 220 lbs. Most of us underestimate how much we eat.

Buy yourself a food scale or some measuring utensils. It's the only way out of your current dilemma short of just eliminating the drinks.

Well, again being so new to this, just bought an analog scale that constantly changes, so not even sure on my accurate weight, so ordered a digital one, will be here Wednesday. Next is the food scale (at the moment, I feel i guesstimate 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc.) for sure. It is very hard starting out doing this, and without you guys here, I'd be like awash at sea, no idea what to do, how to do it. I am learning every single day here, and trying to make changes. At the moment, I don't feel the iced tea can change only because I have tired no sugar and what not and I didn't like it, but maybe I will see a suggestion on something somebody else drinks and I will love it.

I never used to drink water at all but i love it now.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is simple but not easy - logging alone won't do the trick - what it will do is teach you where the 'hidden - or not so hidden calories are.

If you really want to lose weight you do have to make some sacrifices - this does not mean you have to cut sugar or cheese out of your diet - but you do have to eat less. If you want to feel more satisfied on the calories you should be eating then choose more lean protein and less sugar and cheese, reduce the amount of processed food (harder to control what's in it) and make your drinks less sweet.

Go prowl around other people's food diaries - great way of getting ideas (choose who you stalk though)

Check your calorie target - you may have put in an unrealistic weight loss target - don't know your age/height/ current weight etc but make sure you have it all set up sensibly - otherwise you will struggle. !200 is the minimum - if you have set your activity to sedentary then add back in any exercise you do so that you can eat more (most seem to settle for eating back half of mfb calorie burn quotes).

Good luck - it will work you just need to sort out your food choices
  • KayJaMikel
    Options

Hypo isn't a crutch. You need to take responsibility, too. I have hashimotos.. yes it makes things difficult, but food and poor choices are to blame too.

I really wasn't using it as a crutch, just thought it was important to consider with height/weight/etc. I 100% agree food choices are 100% to blame. I am trying though and will get there one of these days.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I would try reducing the sugar in the coffee and tea. Rather than going cold turkey, slowly taper the amount of sugar you add. If you are only eating 1200 calories, you really have to be strict about what you eat to make sure you get enough protein, fiber, etc. If you increase your calorie goal a little you can have a bit more flexibility in your choices.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether the cheese was a good choice or not, are you just selecting an entry from the list, or have you scanned the bar code or at least compared the nutrition on the pack to the website?

300 calories a day over a 1200 goal is NOT taking her out of a deficit. Absolutely not.

OP - what are your stats? Weight/height/how much to lose/how much exercise/what do you do for work?
    You are most likely set at 2lbs per week as a goal and set as sedentary. Change that to 1.5 or 1, depending on how much you want to lose. Eat more. Eat at least half of your exercise calories back.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    OP, you still have 83lbs to lose.

For god sakes, up your calories
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    You're just going through what a lot of us went through when we first started counting calories. We don't realize that little slice of cheese is so high in calories.

It's ok. You're not doing anything wrong. This is how you learn.

So, now that you know what you're up against, you can make lower calorie choices. Cheese is a good condiment or a treat, but not good for eating to fill you up. Chicken, vegetables, whole grains...those are lower calorie choices that won't blow your calorie count out of the water.

Also, I would encourage you to start with a less aggressive calorie goal. Try eating 1800 calories a day or even 2000 and see if you lose weight on that. Based on what you've told us, 1200 calories a day is probably ridiculously low compared to what you were eating and you won't need to go that low initially to lose weight.

Good luck. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It's going to take way longer than you think, but you'll feel better and it will be worth it.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. Some days, I am floundering, but reading here really helps.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This...

I provided this link earlier, along with some others, but if there is ONE that you should read...it's this one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Well, again being so new to this, just bought an analog scale that constantly changes, so not even sure on my accurate weight, so ordered a digital one, will be here Wednesday. Next is the food scale (at the moment, I feel i guesstimate 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc.) for sure. It is very hard starting out doing this, and without you guys here, I'd be like awash at sea, no idea what to do, how to do it. I am learning every single day here, and trying to make changes. At the moment, I don't feel the iced tea can change only because I have tired no sugar and what not and I didn't like it, but maybe I will see a suggestion on something somebody else drinks and I will love it.

You have the right attitude, willing to learn. I'm glad you are going to get a food scale, that will help you quite a bit. Until then, maybe try to use the MyPlate as a guide?

I won't drink unsweetened iced tea either. The iced tea point is kind of moot until you know how much sugar you are using. That will make a huge difference. Are you opposed to sugar alternatives? You can use Truvia or Splenda and not have to worry about the calories or how many teaspoons are in your measuring scoop.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    Regardless of whether the cheese was a good choice or not, are you just selecting an entry from the list, or have you scanned the bar code or at least compared the nutrition on the pack to the website?

300 calories a day over a 1200 goal is NOT taking her out of a deficit. Absolutely not.

OP - what are your stats? Weight/height/how much to lose/how much exercise/what do you do for work?
    You are most likely set at 2lbs per week as a goal and set as sedentary. Change that to 1.5 or 1, depending on how much you want to lose. Eat more. Eat at least half of your exercise calories back.

Hi stats are 48 years old/sedentary/5 feet 5 inches/220 pounds (think, although scale sucks and waiting on a new one, started at 225 according to this sucky scale, but am gonna restart when new scale comes), I work doing medical transcription from home, sitting at desk all day long, no exercise (at the moment hard to do any exercise with back injury and was hoping a few pounds weight loss would allow me to do some exercise), don't really have a goal number on weight loss, just want to feel better and not like a fat whale, I'd like to lose 20 pounds in next few months.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike unsweetened tea, also. Now that is the only way I will drink it. Sweetened tea makes me gag.

If someone had told me I'd feel that way about sweetened/unsweetened tea twenty years ago, I wouldn't have believed him.

It didn't take long for me to get used to the taste of unsweetened tea, maybe about a month. You just need to try. Reduce little by little.

My mother did the same with coffee. (Speaking of which, you need to cut way back on the sugar in your coffee! Try reducing by one teaspoon every day.)

Or just don't drink tea. Let that be a rare treat.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options

You have the right attitude, willing to learn. I'm glad you are going to get a food scale, that will help you quite a bit. Until then, maybe try to use the MyPlate as a guide?

I won't drink unsweetened iced tea either. The iced tea point is kind of moot until you know how much sugar you are using. That will make a huge difference. Are you opposed to sugar alternatives? You can use Truvia or Splenda and not have to worry about the calories or how many teaspoons are in your measuring scoop.

Nope, not opposed to sugar substitutes, as long as they taste good, and a while back there was something going around about cancer and one of the substitutes, but I cannot even tell you what the substitute was so, should probably not even think about that. Which would you suggest and which can I buy like a 5 pound bag of sugar?
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

Hi stats are 48 years old/sedentary/5 feet 4 inches/220 pounds (think, although scale sucks and waiting on a new one, started at 225 according to this sucky scale, but am gonna restart when new scale comes), I work doing medical transcription from home, sitting at desk all day long, no exercise (at the moment hard to do any exercise with back injury and was hoping a few pounds weight loss would allow me to do some exercise), don't really have a goal number on weight loss, just want to feel better and not like a fat whale, I'd like to lose 20 pounds in next few months.

The simple answer here is you're not eating enough.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to open my diary, because feel some folks will yell at me because some days I am way under my calorie goals and drink diet shakes only. I know that sounds stupid. But, I am so very new at this and am trying really very hard to eat better, and get some wieght loss.
    listen.
    you are here for help, and people WILL help and make suggestions. Dont worry about people yellling at you.

of course people will be concerned, and some might not be tactful, but that's the way it is online...if someone is rude, meh...that's their problem.

anyway it would be brave to open your diary. Low calories ARE dangerous. Make THIS the time where you learn how to do this and not suffer. Losing weight doesnt have to be a miserable thing.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I used to dislike unsweetened tea, also. Now that is the only way I will drink it. Sweetened tea makes me gag.

If someone had told me I'd feel that way about sweetened/unsweetened tea twenty years ago, I wouldn't have believed him.

It didn't take long for me to get used to the taste of unsweetened tea, maybe about a month. You just need to try.

My mother did the same with coffee. (Speaking of which, you need to cut way back on the sugar in your coffee! Try reducing by one teaspoon every day.)

Or just don't drink tea. Let that be a rare treat.

That is how i felt about soda, weird huh? I feel that is related to the brand available where I live though, rather than anything else. I buy the generic soda, here it's called Faygo, and I hate it. It reminds me of Dr. Pepper rather than coke. But, in like a movie theater, which I am never in, I love a cold soda in a cup from the soda machines, or a cold Coke while standing in line at the Walmart.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options

This...

I provided this link earlier, along with some others, but if there is ONE that you should read...it's this one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

Thank you, will definitely read it.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Nope, not opposed to sugar substitutes, as long as they taste good, and a while back there was something going around about cancer and one of the substitutes, but I cannot even tell you what the substitute was so, should probably not even think about that. Which would you suggest and which can I buy like a 5 pound bag of sugar?

I really love Truvia, so I can't give any other recommendations as that's all I use. I make my iced tea by the glass using a cold brew tea bag, lemon juice, and Truvia. It's granulated so I drink it with a straw because I love the texture that way.