So, I must be logging or doing something wrong.

Options

Replies

• KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

Even with hypothyroidism, it's unlikely that you were eating around 1200 calories if you are currently 220 lbs. Most of us underestimate how much we eat.

Buy yourself a food scale or some measuring utensils. It's the only way out of your current dilemma short of just eliminating the drinks.

Yep yep!

If you were eating 1200 calories per day everyday you'd be quite thin. It's not a lot of food!

Here is an excellent thread on logging accurately using a *food* scale:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

You mentioned your scale sucks and you have a new one coming in. I just wasn't sure if this was a scale for weighing yourself (good to have) or a food scale for weighing your food - critical, for knowing how much you're consuming when things start to get confusing.

I plugged your numbers/stats in the tool:

0.5 lb per week loss - 1790 calories
    1 lb per week - 1540
    1.5 - 1290
    2 - 1200

Pick a different number if the 2 lb per week goal is coming up too challenging. Also if you can exercise, note that these goals are daily meal goals plus you get to eat (some of) your exercise calories. So if you were exercising even now, you could eat more than 1200 calories per day

What qualifies for exercise for me. Like I cant walk yet, would something like leg lifts or a few sit ups do anything? For anybody who has injuries, what exercises do you do that don't cause pain? I will figure some exercise out.

I picked the 2 pounds per week so that i would lose like 20 pounds rather quickly and then could possibly exercise more and then planned to lessen that 2 pounds.

Even if it will take you longer, six months one year etc WILL come around. Where do you want to be? You didn't put it on overnight, it is not necessary to rush it

With exercise I think what you said about figuring something out is best. Do you have a doctor that you can work with on exercise you can do? I could say try swimming or something else low impact but that wouldn't necessarily work. You may need to post details of your condition on the fitness forum perhaps people with the same issues could suggest something

As for the diet shakes , could you return them and get some money back? :bigsmile: You just need a calorie deficit to lose weight, not diet shakes

I do a lot of shopping online. The prices can be great, you find items you sometimes can't find in stores, and I don't have to wait in line at Walmart. And yes, delivery to your door step can't be beat!

I'd like to be 130-140 pounds at the end of my journey, but not even sure that is a recommended weight for me, I will have to look into that. At least 160.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You are 220, 5'5"... I started out at 229, 5'4".
    I eat between 1400-1600 most days, some days I eat 1800-2000 (about twice a month).
    I do not do any scheduled exercise.
    I have lost 33 lbs since Jan 19.

Up your calorie goal, stop drinking your calories, make better choices.

You can do this.

Also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you aren't already using one, get and use a food scale. Weigh all solids. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    Neither is guessing:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Congratulations and thanks. Did it seem like how am i gonna do this when you started? I have spent so much moolah in past 2 weeks on scale, diet shakes, food that i don't usually buy, etc., so food scale is next, but still have to pay bills. Not to mention the fam-damily thinks I am nuts for doing this at all. Children say I am too old to care. Hubby just looks at the money and says I am taking it too far, but really these are their issues.

I know this sounds like excuses, but we have one car, and hubby has it 20/7, pretty much. Right now he is camping with son and have no way to get to store till he gets back, but generally, he calls home before leaving work, asks for list, and he picks it up. So, anything i need i have to put on a list. There really is only 1 day a week I myself can get to stores and shop, but even those days, he has a part time job he goes to. It's hard to shop, is all I am saying. I buy things i can online.

I spent far too much money in the beginning on things that are now gathering dust. I thought I'd do protein shakes, thought I'd use various exercise equipment, thought thought thought... and then realized I was over thinking.

All I truly use are my digital food scale, my body weight scale, a tape measure.. and the weight bench is a handy clothing rack.

I went crazy with "health food", quinoa, almond flour, etc etc etc...

I then realized that it isn't that complicated. I do use unsweetened almond milk because it's only got 30 calories per cup and I still buy a lot in the produce section for salads along with fruits.. I buy leaner meats, egg whites but, otherwise, I eat what I want, just not as much of it. Instead of three heavy meals in a single day, I only have one if there is something I really want. Yesterday, for instance.. I wanted fried chicken, I ate it. But I had a bowl of popcorn for supper (could have been a salad or something else lower in calories than a full meal)

My diary is open if you want to browse through.

ETA: The last days/week have not been my usual eating habits. The kids got out of school and everything got a bit haywire, but I still lost 3 lbs in the last several days.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    You are 220, 5'5"... I started out at 229, 5'4".
    I eat between 1400-1600 most days, some days I eat 1800-2000 (about twice a month).
    I do not do any scheduled exercise.
    I have lost 33 lbs since Jan 19.

Up your calorie goal, stop drinking your calories, make better choices.

You can do this.

Also:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you aren't already using one, get and use a food scale. Weigh all solids. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    Neither is guessing:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Congratulations and thanks. Did it seem like how am i gonna do this when you started? I have spent so much moolah in past 2 weeks on scale, diet shakes, food that i don't usually buy, etc., so food scale is next, but still have to pay bills. Not to mention the fam-damily thinks I am nuts for doing this at all. Children say I am too old to care. Hubby just looks at the money and says I am taking it too far, but really these are their issues.

I know this sounds like excuses, but we have one car, and hubby has it 20/7, pretty much. Right now he is camping with son and have no way to get to store till he gets back, but generally, he calls home before leaving work, asks for list, and he picks it up. So, anything i need i have to put on a list. There really is only 1 day a week I myself can get to stores and shop, but even those days, he has a part time job he goes to. It's hard to shop, is all I am saying. I buy things i can online.

I spent far too much money in the beginning on things that are now gathering dust. I thought I'd do protein shakes, thought I'd use various exercise equipment, thought thought thought... and then realized I was over thinking.

All I truly use are my digital food scale, my body weight scale, a tape measure.. and the weight bench is a handy clothing rack.

I went crazy with "health food", quinoa, almond flour, etc etc etc...

I then realized that it isn't that complicated. I do use unsweetened almond milk because it's only got 30 calories per cup and I still buy a lot in the produce section for salads along with fruits.. I buy leaner meats, egg whites but, otherwise, I eat what I want, just not as much of it. Instead of three heavy meals in a single day, I only have one if there is something I really want. Yesterday, for instance.. I wanted fried chicken, I ate it. But I had a bowl of popcorn for supper (could have been a salad or something else lower in calories than a full meal)

My diary is open if you want to browse through.

That's like me other day when kids got Dairy Creme (local to my area) burgers. They are huge, and not even sure I logged correctly cause they offer no nutritional stats, but I just had to have one. After all was said and done, and I finished it, it really was not worth it to me. Sometimes I just want to bite into something of substance, regardless of if it's healthy. Really enjoy pizza but won't eat it now.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. The thing is, I have never been a huge eater, and generally only eat one meal a day to begin with, so the 1200 is probably close to what I used to eat to begin with.

ON the sugar, I don't know if it is correct, an online converter told me a 53 cc scoop is equal to 10.6 tsps of sugar, so that is what i put. Really trying to be honest in my logging.

Even with hypothyroidism, it's unlikely that you were eating around 1200 calories if you are currently 220 lbs. Most of us underestimate how much we eat.

Buy yourself a food scale or some measuring utensils. It's the only way out of your current dilemma short of just eliminating the drinks.

Yep yep!

If you were eating 1200 calories per day everyday you'd be quite thin. It's not a lot of food!

Here is an excellent thread on logging accurately using a *food* scale:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

You mentioned your scale sucks and you have a new one coming in. I just wasn't sure if this was a scale for weighing yourself (good to have) or a food scale for weighing your food - critical, for knowing how much you're consuming when things start to get confusing.

I plugged your numbers/stats in the tool:

0.5 lb per week loss - 1790 calories
    1 lb per week - 1540
    1.5 - 1290
    2 - 1200

Pick a different number if the 2 lb per week goal is coming up too challenging. Also if you can exercise, note that these goals are daily meal goals plus you get to eat (some of) your exercise calories. So if you were exercising even now, you could eat more than 1200 calories per day

What qualifies for exercise for me. Like I cant walk yet, would something like leg lifts or a few sit ups do anything? For anybody who has injuries, what exercises do you do that don't cause pain? I will figure some exercise out.

I picked the 2 pounds per week so that i would lose like 20 pounds rather quickly and then could possibly exercise more and then planned to lessen that 2 pounds.

Even if it will take you longer, six months one year etc WILL come around. Where do you want to be? You didn't put it on overnight, it is not necessary to rush it

With exercise I think what you said about figuring something out is best. Do you have a doctor that you can work with on exercise you can do? I could say try swimming or something else low impact but that wouldn't necessarily work. You may need to post details of your condition on the fitness forum perhaps people with the same issues could suggest something

As for the diet shakes , could you return them and get some money back? :bigsmile: You just need a calorie deficit to lose weight, not diet shakes

I do a lot of shopping online. The prices can be great, you find items you sometimes can't find in stores, and I don't have to wait in line at Walmart. And yes, delivery to your door step can't be beat!

I'd like to be 130-140 pounds at the end of my journey, but not even sure that is a recommended weight for me, I will have to look into that. At least 160.

To be clear, I just meant you could lose 20 to 30 lbs in six months, for example, at one of the slower weight loss paces (while eating more calories) and it would still be a fantastic loss. You could then go on the next six months and so on and so on. If a very near goal is causing you to eat too little, I would sacrifice that in favor of the long term goal

And in my experience, the compliments, feeling better, feeling successful will come way before getting to that final 130 or 160 lb goal :smile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Until you get a food scale, use measuring cups. They're not as accurate, but they're way better than estimating. I'm always surprised how little 1/2 cup of something actually is when it's sitting on a plate.

I used to only drink sweetened tea. I now buy flavored but unsweetened teas, brew them hot, then drink them iced. I like the Tazo brand for tea bags (I will mix 5 or 6 different flavors in a big pitcher), and I also use loose leaf tea from Teavana. Now I can't bring myself to drink sweetened teas anymore.

The commercials for Teavana (is it Starbucks) lately look so yummy.

Yeah Starbucks bought out Teavana last year sometime, I think. I bought an infusion pitcher at Starbucks last summer - there's a basket-type thing in the middle of the pitcher where I can put tea bags or loose tea while the tea is brewing. You can use the Teavana tea 2 or 3 times before having to use fresh tea, so when I pull the basket out of the pitcher when it's done brewing I tilt it sideways to spread out the tea in there to let it dry out (so it doesn't clump together and get moldy).

You mentioned you work nights. You can change your diary setting labels to whatever you want if it makes it easier for you. You can put Midnight-6:00 am instead of "breakfast," etc. You can also include calorie targets in there. It might help you portion out your calories better if you have a set goal that's actually listed in your diary. So one caption might be "Midnight to 6:00am - 300 calories." I've been using MFP for a year and a half and have changed my diary captions a few times to best fit with whatever's going on in my life at the moment. Right now I'm training for a half marathon and consume a lot of calories on my long runs, so I list the calories I take in during those runs in a separate category so it doesn't look like I had 1000 calories for lunch when 700 of those were fuel sources during my run. I'm still taking in those calories, of course, but psychologically that's less discouraging for me.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what American Cheese Slices are, but that calorie count must be an over-estimate. 40g of Wensleydale is about 150 calories.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    That's like me other day when kids got Dairy Creme (local to my area) burgers. They are huge, and not even sure I logged correctly cause they offer no nutritional stats, but I just had to have one. After all was said and done, and I finished it, it really was not worth it to me. Sometimes I just want to bite into something of substance, regardless of if it's healthy. Really enjoy pizza but won't eat it now.

I still eat pizza.. I limit my quantity and fill up with salad (careful of the toppings and dressing). I haven't eliminated anything from my diet. There are somethings I eat far less often and I work the day around knowing that I am going to have something high cal for one meal. I've eaten chicken wings (twice since Jan), the Chinese buffet (about once a month), pizza isn't hard to fit in so I have it a bit more often... I just eat more thoughtfully.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I'm not sure what American Cheese Slices are, but that calorie count must be an over-estimate. 40g of Wensleydale is about 150 calories.

I will check the package on my next trip into the kitchen for more water.
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    Until you get a food scale, use measuring cups. They're not as accurate, but they're way better than estimating. I'm always surprised how little 1/2 cup of something actually is when it's sitting on a plate.

I used to only drink sweetened tea. I now buy flavored but unsweetened teas, brew them hot, then drink them iced. I like the Tazo brand for tea bags (I will mix 5 or 6 different flavors in a big pitcher), and I also use loose leaf tea from Teavana. Now I can't bring myself to drink sweetened teas anymore.

The commercials for Teavana (is it Starbucks) lately look so yummy.

Yeah Starbucks bought out Teavana last year sometime, I think. I bought an infusion pitcher at Starbucks last summer - there's a basket-type thing in the middle of the pitcher where I can put tea bags or loose tea while the tea is brewing. You can use the Teavana tea 2 or 3 times before having to use fresh tea, so when I pull the basket out of the pitcher when it's done brewing I tilt it sideways to spread out the tea in there to let it dry out (so it doesn't clump together and get moldy).

You mentioned you work nights. You can change your diary setting labels to whatever you want if it makes it easier for you. You can put Midnight-6:00 am instead of "breakfast," etc. You can also include calorie targets in there. It might help you portion out your calories better if you have a set goal that's actually listed in your diary. So one caption might be "Midnight to 6:00am - 300 calories." I've been using MFP for a year and a half and have changed my diary captions a few times to best fit with whatever's going on in my life at the moment. Right now I'm training for a half marathon and consume a lot of calories on my long runs, so I list the calories I take in during those runs in a separate category so it doesn't look like I had 1000 calories for lunch when 700 of those were fuel sources during my run. I'm still taking in those calories, of course, but psychologically that's less discouraging for me.

Yes, I found that out but have to play with it. Not sure what I am doing yet. I am sick of seeing my sugar grams being over though, that is for sure.
  • logg1e
    Options
    If you don't want to open your calendar (and I don't blame you), you could add a couple of us as Friends, ask for feedback and then "dump" us in about 6 hours' time or somesuch.

From what you wrote I'd advise (as I'm also on 1200):
    1) Drink lower calorie drinks. I used to drink "High Juice" type cordial, and didn't even log it as I thought it would be minimal. As I got serious with MFP I checked and it's 84 calories a glass. Now I just drink water.

2) Plan your meals in advance, either the day before or just after breakfast.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Everything I'd say about the food choices has probably already been said, but I want to say, as others have, that I agree... That's a LOT of sugar for 20oz of coffee and a large glass of tea.

Coming from someone with degenerative disc disease and severe fibromyalgia, there is a certain level of pain you have to be able to accept when exercising with a back problem. Obviously, you don't want to make things worse, but it's not going to feel good right away. Walking can cause a lot of pain, especially if you do not have good shoes and you have poor posture (a very common thing for back pain sufferers, as we tend to bend into poor posture to compensate for painful positioning). Recumbent cycling, yoga, core strengthening and aquatics are all very good choices for exercise when you have serious back pain.

If you are concerned and struggling with back pain, it would be a very good idea to get a referral to physical therapy. When you take up PT, you *have* to do the exercises, even when you are at work, if you want it to get better. Anticipate relapses of pain and weakness, and have plans for those times to compensate for exercises you may not be able to do during major pain flares. A good physical therapist will be able to help you structure a plan that will build the muscles in your back and alleviate the pain over time...

One thing you have to remember though is that if you are a desk worker, slipped and herniated discs are one of the most common back issues that happen to people in these occupations. Making sure you get up, stretch, walk, and sit ergonomically will help a lot.
  • logg1e
    Options
    I don't think you can be having 10tsps of sugar in a mug either. That'd make it about one fifth sugar.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best replies I saw. Drinking calories can slow down your progress. It was very hard to give up everything, so I started with the hardest. 2009 stopped all soda. Now all I drink is water and unsweet ice tea. My husband and I do this together. HIs most difficult time is with sugar drinks. If he does those, I still make all the veggies and let the calories go over. If I can make him food about ten minutes before I think he will be hungry and fill him up before the cravings. That has stopped a lot of runs to 7-11 for ice coffee. Not all, but a lot. :) Keep it up!! I have ups and downs, but it works to keep track
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    I don't think you can be having 10tsps of sugar in a mug either. That'd make it about one fifth sugar.

Yeah, I don't know. Next time I make a cup will use measuring spoons. Plus, the sugar entry on this site, I just assumed it is correct as far as calories and what not.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Maybe better or healthier choices? Or change it up.

The 4 slices of cheese was stupid. Out of 30 days, I do this maybe 1 x a month. It is not something I generally do but for some reason had a craving today, but that is my whole dinner there. Waste of calories, How can 4 slices of cheese be that many calories? Boggles my mind.

I'm such a cheese nut, I think I'm part mouse. Change the crappy processed American out for a good quality cheddar (I'm partial to Irish or Welsh), and it's only 116 calories for that same ounce of cheese.

Also, try swapping your sugar in your coffee with stevia. And cut WAY back on the cream. Also, make your own iced tea instead of the instant stuff. I always have a pitcher in the fridge and it's often wonderful flavors that require no sugar at all. You're drinking a lot of calories that could add up to an entire meal. And you have better options.

Eat real food!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Depending on what kind of "cheese" it is, American "cheese" slices can pack a punch. I haven't had it since I was a kid because I think it's gross, but it's definitely not one of the better options... 40g of an average American cheese is approximately 143 calories, and packs a huge punch in saturated fat and sodium... The per slice calorie content varies between brands and fat content (obviously) and well, when you eat 4 pre-cut slices of say, Kraft American, you are getting approximately 400 calories and 1200mg of sodium...
  • KayJaMikel
    Options
    How come we cannot like posts, but only can like if they are your buddies. Sometimes I just want to say to somebody who posted to me thank you or let you know I read your post by liking it, w/o quoting it, but I cannot see a way to do that.
  • staceybrooks52
    staceybrooks52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should make your own tea and squeeze fresh lemon in it. That has no calories at all! The lemon is good for weight loss as well. And as far as sugar goes, I switched to natural Stevia which has no calories as well. This will save a ton of calories throughout the day. If you don't like Stevia, maybe try a little honey. Good luck!
  • logg1e
    Options
    (I don't use forums with "Likes", we just say "Thank you" and use their name. You can use the time stamp of course, if you want to be specific).
  • thehungerartiste
    Options
    When I first started, I found that the goals MFP sets for me were WAY TOO LOW! I couldn't survive on 1200 (and in fact, still can't).

What I did was use the "Custom" setting, set my calories at 2000, and then track how much food I was currently eating. So, instead of starting off by restricting, I started off by figuring out the number of calories I was already consuming on a daily basis. Obviously, these calories are too high for me to lose weight, so I would need to cut back eventually, but knowing where I was at to begin with was a great start.

For me, I found that naturally I was eating somewhere between 1600-2000 calories each day. This was not helping me lose weight, but I had been maintaining on it for a long time. So, I started cutting down slowly. My first goal was to eat less than 1800 each day. This stopped my higher calorie days. Then I cut down to 1500, 1600, etc. until I got to the number of calories I wanted to eat each day.

This allows you to slowly adjust your habits, which results in better more longer lasting results and prevents you from just feeling like you CAN'T do it.

When I looked at your calories, I did notice a few things, though. Like other people said, you should make healthier choices. Eating cheese and chex mix isn't that great. They have lots of fat and chex mix is high in calories. You may find that if you switch out chex mix with a yogurt and switch out your cheese (4 slices of cheese is like 400 calories!) with something like a lean protein (fish or chicken), you'll be full longer and your calories will even out.

Another suggestion is to change how you're logging. You said you work night shift, why not start you calorie counting when you wake up to start your day (even if that's afternoon) and end it when you sleep? This prevents you from starting at midnight and already feeling like you've failed for the day when you've just woken up to start it!