Stuck at the Same Weight for Two Weeks

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been stuck between the same 2lbs for two weeks, and am getting extremely frustrated! Here's what a normal eating/exercise day looks like for me:

Breakfast: Special K Red Berry Cereal with skim milk
Lunch: 1 cup strawberries and 1 banana
Dinner: Brocolli with reduced fat cheese, or the occasional low point weight watchers meal (under 5 WW points).
Snack: Cucumbers, occasionally a caramel rice cake with pb2 peanut butter.
Workout: every night before dinner I jug/run 1 mile, walk 1 mile and then speed walk one mile
I also have 1 100% garcinia cambogia pill before breakfast and lunch.

My job also has me on my feet and lifting things throughout the day.
Okay, so, doing all of the above, I was stuck at 187lbs for three days. Last night, I knew I would be going out with friends so I just had breakfast, skipped lunch, and then had 2 soft shell tacos and frozen yogurt at night with them. I got on the scale this morning and weighed 188.6lbs! This happens every time I eat anything more then the above normal list. So then I'll spend the next week working off these 2lbs.

Someone please help. I am becoming very, very frustrated and I just want to quit!

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been stuck between the same 2lbs for two weeks, and am getting extremely frustrated! Here's what a normal eating/exercise day looks like for me:

Dinner: Brocolli with reduced fat cheese, or the occasional low point weight watchers meal (under 5 WW points).
    Workout: every night before dinner I jug/run 1 mile, walk 1 mile and then speed walk one mile

Okay, so, doing all of the above, I was stuck at 187lbs for three days. Last night, I knew I would be going out with friends so I just had breakfast, skipped lunch, and then had 2 soft shell tacos and frozen yogurt at night with them. I got on the scale this morning and weighed 188.6lbs! This happens every time I eat anything more then the above normal list. So then I'll spend the next week working off these 2lbs.

Someone please help. I am becoming very, very frustrated and I just want to quit!

I highly recommend reading this excellent article which covers your question quite well.

"Why Am I Not Losing Weight: 11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat"

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Good gravy!!! How many calories do you net each day? Like 100 or so? No wonder you're frustrated!

My advice: stop crash dieting. I'm sure someone will post a link to the "sexy pants" guide. Check it out, follow it and be patient.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering how many calories you are eating a day. I'm gonna bet money it's not enough!

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above then read ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I am also wondering how many calories you are eating a day. I'm gonna bet money it's not enough!

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above then read ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

^^^^ yay!!! Thanks, honey!!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Oh yeah, your body can fluctuate +/- 5 lbs a day.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Definitely check out the links provided.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    That seems like a LOW amount of food daily!

fred-sanford-the-big-one-o.gif
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    May need to switch up your exercise routine some
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Yeah, like replace some with eating.
  • GypsygalWI
    GypsygalWI Posts: 27
    Options

Yes, I agree! Drink more water, switch up your routine! Your body is getting used to the "same old, same old!" Eat more protein too!

We all have what i call "stalls" or plateaus. Are you sure your not losing? There are other ways to see if your losing. The scale isn't the only way/weigh. Are you taking measurements???? You really need to. The scale is only a number. How are your clothes fitting?? My NUT ( nutritionist) says throw the scale away. I say. Don't weigh yourself every day. Your going to drive yourself nuts!!!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when i started. I was on 1200 a day, and lost a stone. Then it stopped for three weeks. I saw a nutritionist, who advised me to UP my intake to 1800. A week later, i dropped 3lbs.

There IS such a thing as eating too little...
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Honestly I try not to pay too much attention to the scale just because it can be a little frustrating. In a situation like yours where you want to get back into shape for athletics. I would probably use the amount and intensity of exercise as a better measuring stick for how you are doing.

You've said the scale has been stuck but in the time since you have plateaued:

Can you run further?
    Can you run faster?
    Can you run longer?

If so, congratulations you are getting stronger and healthier and the scale will catch up eventually.

If not though you might not be pushing yourself hard enough and if you are pushing yourself as hard as you can go but not making fitness gains than the obvious question is if your diet has the necessary fuel in it to even power through to more gains.

Not trying to be critical of you, just curious if you have looked at it from this point of view, If you are getting 2.5% stronger / faster every week you are rocking it and if not... why? My answer would probably be either complacency or bad diet.

Best of luck though! I hope you find an answer that helps you!
  • Bucklebeak
    Bucklebeak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try calorie cycling. I saw it as a suggestion on someone else's thread. If your suggested calorie intake is 1200 per day, that's 8400 per week. So switch it up between surplus and deficit days but make sure you are hitting your 8400 per week! Looking at your list of food you aren't anywhere close to that. Your body has adapted to your routine and has adjusted accordingly. You need to change your routine and seriously, you need more calories.

I've only just started calorie cycling because my weight has been stuck for ages. After my 'surplus day' which was 1700 calories, I gained 2 pounds but then lost it 2 days later and was lower than before. My current plan is 2 deficit days of around net 1000 calories then a surplus of 1700, then 2 days deficit 1 day surplus. It nets to 8400 a week which is my suggested calorie intake. You can obviously switch it up in whatever way works for you. But the surplus days are not optional on this method, you cannot only do deficit days, which is what your current meals look like.

Hopefully it will work for you. I am also a creature of habit so my meals were virtually identical most days and my exercise rarely changed. This method keeps it interesting :-) Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that the same exercise routine can stall weight loss.
  • MirandaKeeler
    MirandaKeeler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on a new diet where I don't eat any wheat, sugar, or corn products.(Natural sugars like in fruits and milk, etc. are good. Just no added sugars) I find that most of the time, when I strictly follow this diet, even if I didn't work out that day, I still lose weight. So maybe the special K cereal could be changed to a big bowl of oatmeal? And try not to eat a meal 3-4 hours before you go to bed. Snacks are always good, though. Mixed nuts are wonderful for many parts of your body. Also, it helps too if you drink a glass of water 30 minutes before a meal.
    Hope this helps! :)
    Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Op, you are on a very low calorie diet. You need to up those calories quite a bit. You are going to make yourself sick.
  • d3agl3
    d3agl3 Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.ticket-to-slimming.com

Check it out. It'll answer many of your questions before you even have them.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Check it out. It'll answer many of your questions before you even have them.

No. Just no. Strong first post though. :noway:

You don't need to pay for some ridiculous ebook.

Eat more food.
    Continue working out.
    Make sure your goals are set appropriately for how much you have to lose.
    Read the links I posted earlier.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    First, do you have any idea what your goal weight is and how many calories per day you should be eating to get there safely?
    I'm thinking the answer is no.
    So... Go here:
    https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/childrens-nutrition-research-center/caloriesneed.cfm
    (Yes, it says children's research center, but that's an adult BMI calculator.)
    Put in the info (height, weight, age, activity) and it will tell you your BMI and calories needed to _maintain_ that wright.
    Using myself as an example, it came up with a BMI of 35.5 (when I started in Jan. it was 39.4! yay me!) and 2668 calories if I'm active less than an hour a day. It's usually around an hour, but I'm being conservative.
    Now, to lose a pound a week you need a calorie deficit of 3500 calories, which is 500 per day. The easiest way to do that is to eat less, but exercising more helps too. So I'd aim for 2268 per day.
    Since I'm hoping to go a little faster, and am working with a doctor (supervised weight loss) I'm really aiming for 2 lb per week, so my goal is 1768. (These are actual calories, NOT net.)
    >>>>> Never go below 1200 calories per day!! <<<<< :sick:
    ... which it sounds like you've been doing pretty regularly. No wonder your body is holding onto everything it can!
    An easier way to figure out how many calories you need is to look at the BMI chart, find your healthy goal weight (for now, pick whatever's at the top end of the range) and multiply that by 10. For me, that would be 173 x 10 = 1730 ... which is pretty close to the result we got from the method above.
    Here's a BMI table: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    It's easier to see where you are & where you need to be, and this one shows the healthy / overweight / obese ranges.
    Now start paying attention when MFP tells you you're way below your needed calories!
    Also, when you exercise, you can add 1/3 to 1/2 of those calories & still lose weight. So on days when I'm very motivated and I do an hour on the elliptical, which is between 600 & 700 calories, I'll add 200-300 to my goal total, ending up at 1900 - 2000 for the day.
    Here are some weight-control resources from the CDC. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/tools/index.html
    Especially read their brochure about myths: http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/PDFs/Myths.pdf