So, I must be logging or doing something wrong.

Options
12346»

Replies

• jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You might also consider buying 2% milk fat American cheese or perhaps use the ultra thin slices - it knocks down the calories in a slice by about half.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I started a bit higher than you are and I'm older than you, but I've been losing eating my normal foods, within reason and proportionally. Feel free to go back in my diary into February and March and see what I was eating. I have upped my calories a bit recently because I am experimenting to find how much I can eat while still losing at a reasonable rate. You can ignore some of my snacks to get the same calorie amount you need. If you want to of course.

Kathy
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    On cheese: I rarely add it to my salad anymore but I do add a bit to my egg whites in the morning, about 5 grams.

On tea: The instant peach tea is delicious, sweet, and only 20 calories. (I don't log it because I drink two glasses per day and have a large enough deficit that it doesn't make a difference. If I start stalling too long, then I'll be more cautious and include it)

On soda: I stick to diet. Diet Dr Pepper or Sprite Zero, usually.

Small changes can make a big difference when you're looking at something full of calories without much nutrition or not very filling.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    So when you set your weight loss goals I am assuming you set it to 2 lbs per week? If you are having a hard time with the calories set for that weekly goal perhaps you should change it to 1 or 1.5 per week until you get used to logging and figure out how things work.

Make sure you weigh and measure everything honestly and get used to doing it. You will soon figure out what foods are worth the calories and what ones you should just have as an occasional treat. I haven't cut things out totally, I still eat cheese and butter, etc I just learned how much I can have in order to stay within my calorie goals.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to open my diary, because feel some folks will yell at me because some days I am way under my calorie goals and drink diet shakes only. I know that sounds stupid. But, I am so very new at this and am trying really very hard to eat better, and get some wieght loss.

No one is going to yell at you. And how would that even occur on a written forum? If you're an adult, it's up to you to make healthy choices by learning about nutrition and taking constructive criticism. If people want to belittle your choices without offering true help, that's their problem. You will make progress! It's a journey and a lifestyle change.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    You might also consider buying 2% milk fat American cheese or perhaps use the ultra thin slices - it knocks down the calories in a slice by about half.
    Buy real cheese. "Hard" cheddars are delicious. Grate the cheese onto your salad. Half an ounce is usually plenty.

OP, the calorie counts for the things you're choosing sound accurate, including the measure of sugar you put in your drink. You're just choosing some calorie-dense, nutrition-poor items, which you really can't afford to do on a low-calorie diet, especially without exercise. Welcome to weight loss. My suggestions...

1. Pick a higher calorie target for a slower loss rate. It will be easier, more sustainable, and more enjoyable... You'll have a better chance of sticking with it and keeping the weight off.

2. Work on measuring, weighing, and logging your food 100% accurately. You've already realized that you don't yet know the calorie content or serving sizes of the foods you eat. Logging and "eating healthy salads" is essentially meaningless for weight loss if you're not measuring accurately. Eventually you will learn to adjust on the fly, substitute here and there, and "eyeball" a portion of a familiar food... But you don't have the experience to do it yet... You build that experience by weighing and measuring.

3. Stop thinking you have to buy your way into fitness. You can lose weight without spending money on fancy scales, diet shakes, and designer foods. A $30 food scale will get you there. I wouldn't buy anything else for the first month or two... Experience will tell you what you need as you progress.

4. Read all those great links somebody posted on page 1. Don't worry if it doesn't all make sense at first; take what you understand and work with that. A month from now, read them again.

Good luck. Be patient and good to yourself... This may all be new, but you can succeed. :flowerforyou:
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well, the cheese I chose was wrong. I have Crystal Farms Deluxe American Cheese, and is a 72 slice brick, and according to the label, there are only 70 calories in each slice, so a bit better, but still not great.