IIFYM..good or bad?

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I am new to IIFYM too. I was looking for success stories because it still blows my mind that some people LOSE weight while eating 2k+ cals a day. That sounds lovely! I generally eat pretty healthy myself but haven't been seeing results and I've even gained recently! I am going to try IIFYM until Christmas and then reevaluate my levels for the new year.

I'm so done feeling starved and deprived and scared to eat a piece of pizza even if the rest of my day has been all veggies and chicken. I'm going to LOVE some greasy goodness every now and then! Or Buffalo Wild Wings with the boyfriend :)

IIFYM has nothing to do with your calorie goal...it is macro goals. As has been explained, IIFYM is all about hitting your macro goals and not labeling food "good" or "bad"...most will still eat, by and large, and diet chalk full of nutrient dense foods...but if they have room in their calorie budget and their macro budget they might have a brownie or something for desert.

I repeat, IIFYM has nothing to do with people eating 2000 calories and losing weight. Weight loss is all about calorie in/out....someone losing 1 Lb per week eating 2000 calories would theoretically have a TDEE then of about 2500 calories...this is the typical male. For a woman to have that kind of TDEE would require being pretty darned active.
    :tongue: I double posted, computer glitchy today.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I am new to IIFYM too. I was looking for success stories because it still blows my mind that some people LOSE weight while eating 2k+ cals a day. That sounds lovely! I generally eat pretty healthy myself but haven't been seeing results and I've even gained recently! I am going to try IIFYM until Christmas and then reevaluate my levels for the new year.

I'm so done feeling starved and deprived and scared to eat a piece of pizza even if the rest of my day has been all veggies and chicken. I'm going to LOVE some greasy goodness every now and then! Or Buffalo Wild Wings with the boyfriend :)

IIFYM has nothing to do with your calorie goal...it is macro goals. As has been explained, IIFYM is all about hitting your macro goals and not labeling food "good" or "bad"...most will still eat, by and large, and diet chalk full of nutrient dense foods...but if they have room in their calorie budget and their macro budget they might have a brownie or something for desert.

I repeat, IIFYM has nothing to do with people eating 2000 calories and losing weight. Weight loss is all about calorie in/out....someone losing 1 Lb per week eating 2000 calories would theoretically have a TDEE then of about 2500 calories...this is the typical male. For a woman to have that kind of TDEE would require being pretty darned active.
    True. I have a TDEE of about 2500, eat 2000, lose a lb a week, but I lift 3 days a week, have kickboxing classes 3 days a week, cycle, walk my dogs and have an active job. But how much I eat is largely irrelevant to IIFYM. It's ALL about hitting your protein and fat goals, plus micronutrients and fiber and then the leftover calories (if any) are discretionary. Obviously, I have discretionary calories, so I choose have ice cream everyday. I do that so I don't go crazy from deprivation and fall off the wagon. If I exercised less, I'd still have ice cream everyday, just not as much of it, like this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I think iifym gets confused with "eat all the junk". It's not quite that simple. You still have to eat well but it eliminates the restricting nom sense that seems to be the common misconception of weight loss. IV you're hitting your macros, squeeze in the yumminess to adhere to your calorie budget. I eat about 1600 a day but I'm still in the process of losing and don't exercise a ton.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's a balance, but I'm much happier getting my remaining carbs for the day by eating ice cream instead of my 4th serving of brown rice. My wife always complained that she had to 'give up' things like bread and chocolate to lose a few pounds. We did a few days of MFP tracking where she hit her macros on just 1500 cal/day and still had room for things like peanut butter, ice cream, or chocoate bars in moderation.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    It's a balance, but I'm much happier getting my remaining carbs for the day by eating ice cream instead of my 4th serving of brown rice. My wife always complained that she had to 'give up' things like bread and chocolate to lose a few pounds. We did a few days of MFP tracking where she hit her macros on just 1500 cal/day and still had room for things like peanut butter, ice cream, or chocoate bars in moderation.

That must've been exciting!! I know discovering I didn't have to eat like a rabbit made me over the moon.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is all about balance. Somedays you balance better than others. I didn't balance well today. I've already logged in my dinner and I'm looking at needing 562 calories out of 1492, 45 more grams of protein, and 30 grams of fat. I only have 2 more carbs!!!! Not to mention I'm starving hungry right now. It's 4 PM. Got to do better tomorrow.

Edited to say I might change my macros. These are what scooby told me I shoud do. 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. I might change it to higher carbs.....we'll see how long I can keep this up.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    It is all about balance. Somedays you balance better than others. I didn't balance well today. I've already logged in my dinner and I'm looking at needing 562 calories out of 1492, 45 more grams of protein, and 30 grams of fat. I only have 2 more carbs!!!! Not to mention I'm starving hungry right now. It's 4 PM. Got to do better tomorrow.

Edited to say I might change my macros. These are what scooby told me I shoud do. 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. I might change it to higher carbs.....we'll see how long I can keep this up.
    Maybe see what this calculation gets you. I'm at 50/25/25 (ish) and I find it very do-able.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple example of how IIFYM sorta works:

I set my macros at say, 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat (hypothetical- lets not get all wound up over why you think it should be 40/30/30, or whatever. I want easy math)

I get done with dinner and have 180 cals left. I've hit my protein goal for the day, (for a 2000 cal diet, that'd be 500 cals, or 125g)

I look and see that only 49% of my calories came from carbs, and 22% from fats.
    so I have 30g (120cal) of carbs and about 7g (60cal) of fat left that I can eat.

A 'clean eater' would say you can only have rice and some nuts because that's "healthy calories"
    A IIFYM eater would say you can get some carbs and some fat, and a little extra protein by eating a brownie. or small slice of pie. Or some ice-cream. Or some chocolate milk. Or a Beer.

Because in the end, all you really care about is consuming 30g of carbs and 7g of fat to meet your goals.

Fuel is fuel is fuel.

Nicely said.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just an observation but I see IIFYM as the way the majority of people who have always maintained a healthy body weight and have no food issues eat, although possibly paying more attention to percentage of protein etc. They eat generally "healthy" nutritionally balanced meals and don't beat themselves up if they have cake. Food is a fuel that can also give pleasure but it doesn't have power over them.

It's only a label but really it is an excellent way to learn to have a sensible relationship with food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just an observation but I see IIFYM as the way the majority of people who have always maintained a healthy body weight and have no food issues eat, although possibly paying more attention to percentage of protein etc. They eat generally "healthy" nutritionally balanced meals and don't beat themselves up if they have cake. Food is a fuel that can also give pleasure but it doesn't have power over them.

It's only a label but really it is an excellent way to learn to have a sensible relationship with food.

good observation. I haven't always maintained a healthy weight...largely due to slacking on my fitness but continuing to eat copious amounts of food...but yes, it does foster a healthier relationship with food. And as others have said, it's largely about balance.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple example of how IIFYM sorta works:

I set my macros at say, 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat (hypothetical- lets not get all wound up over why you think it should be 40/30/30, or whatever. I want easy math)

I get done with dinner and have 180 cals left. I've hit my protein goal for the day, (for a 2000 cal diet, that'd be 500 cals, or 125g)

I look and see that only 49% of my calories came from carbs, and 22% from fats.
    so I have 30g (120cal) of carbs and about 7g (60cal) of fat left that I can eat.

A 'clean eater' would say you can only have rice and some nuts because that's "healthy calories"
    A IIFYM eater would say you can get some carbs and some fat, and a little extra protein by eating a brownie. or small slice of pie. Or some ice-cream. Or some chocolate milk. Or a Beer.

Because in the end, all you really care about is consuming 30g of carbs and 7g of fat to meet your goals.

Fuel is fuel is fuel.

I love this. The best demonstration yet. Thank you
  • ChrisnSC
    ChrisnSC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can lose weight if you meet your calories, regardless if it fits your macros or not. The problem I see is that one piece of pizza and one piece of cake might fit your macros AND calories for the day, but can you live on that? I'd rather "spend" my calories on healthier foods (as a general rule) and eat a lot throughout the day. My blood sugar and cholesterol is going to be a lot better for it, too.

I say to each his own. For me, IIFYM is a relative term. Can you lose weight that way? Sure. Will my body be as healthy as it would be if I just occasionally indulged in those foods? Probably not.

Is IIFYM good or bad? Neither. It's all about what your goal is. If losing weight is your only goal, then go for it. If overall health (inside and out) is your goal, then I'm not convinced that pizza and cake is the way to go.

This is a common misconception about IIFYM. Most people do not live on pizza and cake. They have well balanced diets as I outlined above. They just don't deny themselves anything once their nutrition needs are met.

Someone doing IIFYM right, if they reached the end if their day with 80 calories left but deficient in protein, would not eat ice cream. They'd reach for a lean protein source. Same situation but deficient in micronutrients, they'd reach for veg or fruit.

IIFYM is about a balanced diet without food-fear.

This^
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I fell into the mindset fast once I realized the size of the figures involved on heavy riding days and trip days (read: 50+ miles) and realized that I couldn't get what I wanted eating "healthy" food all the time even if I wanted to - stomach will only empty out so fast. Yes, it's seriously about eating pizza and ice cream and anything else that has the macros as well as calcium etc that you need. The body doesn't care how you get your needs met, only that you do.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    IMO, IIFYM is just a fancy acronym for what used to be called a "balanced diet" (ie not restrictive diet). It's the only way that makes sense for me. YMMV.
  • andycorbisiero
    andycorbisiero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi guys,
    check out this article. it helped me work out my macros and explained what to do in detail.
    http://muscleproject.com/index.php/nutrition/43-nutrition-iifym-explained
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If you are doing IIFYM right you are not looking at just calories. You actually have to hit your MACROS! This is not done by eating cake and pizza all day because you would NOT hit your macros. IIFYM works and if done correctly the majority of you diet is probably going to be pretty nutritious.

"Eat whatever you want, if it fits your macros"

^^^^ this

it's a common misconception that people can just eat whatever doing IIFYM.... you can't. You can *include* whatever foods you like, but if you hit your calorie goal eating nothing but pizza you'll have failed by a long way to hit your macros, you'll be waaaaaaaay under on protein and way over on fats and carbs.

Hitting your macros requires eating lots of foods that give you plenty of protein without overdoing the fats or carbs.... i.e. a lot of the foods that "clean" eaters eat. Yes you can enjoy whatever so long as it fits your macros, but fitting it in your macros is trickier than it looks... as pizza is high fat, high carb low protein, you'll have to eat a lot of chicken breast salad (or other high protein low fat low carb food) for the rest of the day to get your protein high enough while your fats and carbs are low enough, that you can fit in the pizza. Yes it's worth doing this so you can eat the pizza. I just want to emphasise the point that IIFYM isn't just eating whatever you like all the time. It's planning your meals so you get just the right amount of fat, protein and carbs, while including whatever foods you want to eat in the process (and all the necessary adjustments to fit high fat high carb low protein foods into your day)
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

This right here. I started out this round with MFP doing something like IIFYM without knowing what it is. I can see I need to incorporate a lot more fresh veggies and fruit to hit my fiber target, for example. But I'm finding myself feeling a lot less stressed as I concentrate on meeting my nutritional goals rather than restricting my calories. Having a sensible relationship with food and being able to eat like someone without food issues is very important to me at this stage. I almost feel like losing weight is secondary right now. Sure, I'd like to lose x kg by August, but I know that meeting my macros is more important than just losing weight, so I'm concentrating there. My diary is still a shambles and I need to be better at logging during weekends, but I'm feeling better about changing my diet since discovering IIFYM recently.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is evil... All these cookies and Rice Krispies treats that I'm eating. And ice cream too... so evil...

*in moderation of course, while focused on a balanced diet and always hitting my macros and tracking my micros*
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you can pretty much eat what you want as long as you are within your calorie

This is a misconception. You can eat what you like as long as you hit your calorie goals, and more importantly, your macro goals.