How many eggs can you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• Ben_the_builder
    Options
    I eat 12 whole eggs and 4 egg whites a day. I don't have high blood pressure or cholesterol. But that is just me though if you have a history of either you may want to consult with your doctor.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat an average of 4-6 large whole eggs every day. For breakfast, I usually add a couple ounces of full fat cheese. Lunches are often egg salad with a tbsp or more of real mayo. I also don't hold back on butter and while milk. You get the idea; lots of fat, most of it saturated, and lots of cholesterol. I keep my total calories within my maintenance range and get plenty of exercise and my cholesterol levels and lipid levels have never been lower.

Dietary cholesterol and fat have almost no effect on your blood levels. Your body will make all the cholesterol it thinks it needs regardless of what you eat. The medical community has had that wrong for quite a while and is finally now slowly owning up to it. Being overweight, not being active, and too much sugar in your diet messing with insulin levels are what you need to watch as risk factors for high cholesterol and cardiovascular issues.
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Too many! Haha I usually have two in the morning and occasionally two at night if I need help meeting my protein goals. I have eaten up to 6 in one day though! :blushing:
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options
    He also ate a Guinness World Record six Cadbury Creme Eggs in one minute.
    I can do that!

I WANT to do that!

Oh! I also eat lots of eggs and egg whites........I never go by count.....if I want them or need them......I eat them :tongue:
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat as many eggs a day as you like. If you're worried about cholesterol levels though, limit to two egg yolks a day. I eat one egg daily a few times per week. Not always though. To me, eggs are for a special occasion. Maybe that's because when I was little, my parents only made sunny side up fried eggs on the weekends because during the weekdays, they were too busy to cook breakfast. I LOVE sunny side up eggs, especially with salt/pepper a slice of french baguette. So it was definitely a treat to me. And still to this day, eggs are a treat to me, despite them being so cheap and plentiful. lol...
  • Swiftlet66
    Options
    Technically, you can eat as many eggs a day as you like. If you're worried about cholesterol levels though, limit to two egg yolks a day. I eat one egg daily a few times per week. Not always though. To me, eggs are for a special occasion. Maybe that's because when I was little, my parents only made sunny side up fried eggs on the weekends because during the weekdays, they were too busy to cook breakfast. I LOVE sunny side up eggs, especially with salt/pepper a slice of french baguette. So it was definitely a treat to me. And still to this day, eggs are a treat to me, despite them being so cheap and plentiful. lol...

Most studies show that up to 6 eggs per day does not have significant impact on cholesterol.

My bad, I was basing the cholesterol levels on the myfitnessapp thing.
  • Swiftlet66
    Options

Most studies show that up to 6 eggs per day does not have significant impact on cholesterol.

My bad, I was basing the cholesterol levels on the average recommended amounts (300 mg) and two eggs reaches that recommendation. IDK about the whole studies though but thanks for the information??
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting to gain weight, instead of a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD), I did a dozen eggs a day (ADEAD) for 3 months. No health issues arose from it.

My god, I'd hate to see your grocery bill.
  • CrabCatcher
    CrabCatcher Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Its individual - I wouldnt eat 1 egg a day at the moment, Read up!

The post below if for eating eggs daily, before I get flamed/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

Huffington post as a primary source for (any) advice ... right ..... NEXT

I was thinking the same thing. Are we going to quote the National Enquirer next? Huffington Post is a fluff rag, find something with real science backing it, not some guys blog. That said, I still eat eggs on a daily basis and it has never impacted my cholesterol levels. I have cut them and eaten them and there seems to be no noticeable difference for me. Since I like eggs I will continue to eat them. Do what you will for your own body, it will tell you if it does not like eggs. :-)
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I typically eat an egg a day, but I haven't eaten any the whole of last week and now I ate two yesterday and two today. Is this bad? In terms of saturated fat and cholesterol?

A whole egg, from what I have on my records, is 70 calories. I eat whole eggs. Some choose to skip the yolks and use the whites; I don't know how many calories there are in just the egg white.

From what I understand, most of the fat is in the yolk. Much of the nutritional value is also in the yolk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(food)#Nutritional_value

If you are worried about the cholesterol and such, there are alternatives. Egg whites for most cooking, and there are egg noodles made without the yolks.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I :heart: eggs, best food in the world IMO.
    I generally eat 2 a day but have eaten up to 5 a day.
    Only fresh eggs though and if I need only yolks I will find a recipe for the egg whites, so as not waste them.

photo9.jpg Angelfood cake (12 egg whites) and vanilla ice-cream (12 egg yolks) Delicious! :smile:
    Sorry for the oversized photo, been ages since I posted a photo.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Eggs are amazing.

Custard. Omelets. Souffles. creme anglais. Quiche. fritatta. Scotch eggs. Eggs benedict. popovers. German pancakes. deviled eggs.

etc etc

Some of the best things in life.

Agreed!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In the first-ever World Hard Boiled Egg-Eating Championship, Joey Chestnut devoured the world record with 141 eggs in 8 minutes.

That was in 8 minutes. It's scary speculating how many he might have eaten in a day!
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I :heart: eggs, best food in the world IMO.
    I generally eat 2 a day but have eaten up to 5 a day.
    Only fresh eggs though and if I need only yolks I will find a recipe for the egg whites, so as not waste them.

photo9.jpg Angelfood cake (12 egg whites) and vanilla ice-cream (12 egg yolks) Delicious! :smile:
    Sorry for the oversized photo, been ages since I posted a photo.

This looks delicious! Ugh, I want it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Are we going to quote the National Enquirer next? Huffington Post is a fluff rag, find something with real science backing it, not some guys blog. That said, I still eat eggs on a daily basis and it has never impacted my cholesterol levels. I have cut them and eaten them and there seems to be no noticeable difference for me. Since I like eggs I will continue to eat them. Do what you will for your own body, it will tell you if it does not like eggs. :-)
    Lol............I suspect neither of you actually read it, or bothered to figure out who John Berardi is........Egg on face is appropriate. Numbskulls both of you.:tongue: flowerforyou:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    The subject line led me to believe this would be some kind of challenge. I'm disappointed.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. Are we going to quote the National Enquirer next? Huffington Post is a fluff rag, find something with real science backing it, not some guys blog.

You realize that post on Huffington included no less than 7 direct links to scientific studies right?
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure I could eat at least ten if I wanted to.

Now whether you SHOULD eat that many eggs... dunno ;)
  • kofiannans_hitman
    Options
    What I do is hard boil a dozen at a time. I snack on them all. day. long. I find, especially in summer, I can stay satiated primarily on the eggs and green tea alone. I drink about a gallon of green tea a day.