OIL PULLING

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    After nearly a year of oil pulling and no using toothpaste, my recent excellent dental checkup removes any doubt about its effectiveness, but that is not the question in this thread. Providing you swallow it fresh at the beginning and not "dirty" near the end, the number of calories added to your intake will be insignificant and the benefits of the healthy saturated fat will far outweigh any harm the calories can do.

Please tell me you floss.
    For the love of God, please tell me you use floss at least.

WHAT, You mean you actually don't know that toothpaste damages teeth? For the love of God, I thought everyone knew that.

I wasn't talking about toothpaste.
    I was talking about using minty string to dig out the chunks of food that you're missing from not brushing.

Regardless, I'll continue to brush and take my chances with the "damage" that comes from toothpaste. :laugh: My dentist and perfect x-rays show that what I'm doing is working, and my teeth are happy.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hahaha >.<
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Why would you not just use mouth wash?!
  • lowery_eliza
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth. And yes you can completely substitute it for toothpaste. Which is actually better for you. Did you know the same amount of fluoride is in 8 oz of water as is the same amount of fluoride in toothpaste that if swallowed you're supposed to call poison control?
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hate to seem judgmental, but even the thought of this makes me gag. I'll use my toothbrush, thanks though. I'm literally getting little chill bumps thinking about it.

That is exactly what impedes progress and causes more obesity, gagging at the thought of something different. I suppose you gag at the thought of getting rid of your car too? When you sit strapped inside your tin box and light gasoline you give me chills just thinking about it and I, too, want to gag.

Yeah, um, no, getting rid of my car does not cause me to gag. Swishing oil for 20 plus minutes in my mouth, yep, makes me gag. I am sorry. Thinking of swallowing said oil gives me the goose bumps too, just as it would if somebody said they swallowed their mouth full of gack that they got from using their toothbrush and toothpaste. Whatever though, to each their own.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It would appear to lack support of it's effectiveness unless you're comparing it to a lack of dental care entirely.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/oil-pulling-your-leg/

^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!!
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Oil pulling is kinda like selling snake oil. Totally ineffective but science finds it hilarious.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I always think of the premature creases that will form around the mouth from aggressively puckering the lips for 20-40 minutes a day.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that any calories ingested by swallowing as you pull would be offset by the calories burnt doing the pulling.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth.

How? Be specific. What chemical property of coconut oil does any of these things. Break it down and explain it to me. Don't gloss it over with generalities and buzzphrases. Really explain it.

You can choose to believe it, I suppose if its important to you. Don't see how it would do any actual HARM. But...abandoning actual, real, effective, dental hygiene for crazy folklore...that is not good news for anyone.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hate to seem judgmental, but even the thought of this makes me gag. I'll use my toothbrush, thanks though. I'm literally getting little chill bumps thinking about it.

That is exactly what impedes progress and causes more obesity, gagging at the thought of something different. I suppose you gag at the thought of getting rid of your car too? When you sit strapped inside your tin box and light gasoline you give me chills just thinking about it and I, too, want to gag.

What? :laugh:

Are you comparing swishing oil around your mouth for 20 minutes to selling your car? Perhaps I'm just tired, but I can't see the comparison here.

The idea of this makes me feel a little sick; I wouldn't swish mouthwash for 20 minutes, let alone oil. if you want to do this in addition to normal brushing then fair enough, but to substitute normal and proven mouth care for this is quite frankly crazy, in my opinion. I'd be more worried about the future health of my teeth than the possibility of a few extra calories.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use coconut oil as moisturizer, anyone know if the body absorbs any of its calories?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Any coconut oil you swallow is good for you and calories should not be an issue. I have been pulling nearly a year and I purposely swallow a bit while it is still fresh because it is so healthy. Not all calories are alike; some are so good for you that you don't want to miss them.

This is honestly the first time I'm hearing of oil pulling, and I have a question for you: Other than the benefits of swallowing some of the coconut oil, what health benefits are you seeing from oil pulling?

From the OP it seems mostly dental/oral, but are you seeing other benefits as well (as suggested in the article posted)?

Just curious!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Herp Derp... this whole thread. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Haha! People are really getting a kick out of this I suppose. Coconut oil basically deep cleans, whitens and strengthens your teeth. And yes you can completely substitute it for toothpaste. Which is actually better for you. Did you know the same amount of fluoride is in 8 oz of water as is the same amount of fluoride in toothpaste that if swallowed you're supposed to call poison control?

What? Are you saying that if I drink 8 oz of water I should call poison control? Surely I just need more coffee. So much herp de derp derp in this thread.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Not sure why this turned into a discussion on oil pulling...oh yeah, it's MFP.

Anyway I do it when I have time and my teeth get so whiter after a few days without the sensitivity of crest whitestrips. :)

As for your actual question, if you do get a few calories, it should be fine. Say you get 50 a day, which I'm sure you don't actually swallow that much, that's only 1/10lb in a week. The way you eat healthy and exercise, plus the fact that it's a good fat and not hydrogenated vegetable oil, means it's negligable. Don't worry.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I-dont-always-herp-but-when-i-herp-i-derp.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

What? Are you saying that if I drink 8 oz of water I should call poison control? Surely I just need more coffee. So much herp de derp derp in this thread.

I think the tinfoil hat will interfere with phone reception
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Had to weigh in on this: I worked in dentistry about 6 years - so that is my "expertise". First off - Fluoride. There are different kinds of fluoride Sodium Fluoride, found in toothpaste, mouthwash, etc will make you sick if you swallow too much. Calcium Fluoride, found in treated water will not make you sick if ingested. So your "factoid" about the amount of fluoride in water and poison control is missing key information. Second - the effectiveness of oil pulling. Putting anything viscous in your mouth will collect small amounts of debris and material that causes acid erosion and cavities, but not as efficiently as toothpaste and floss. Claims about strengthening teeth are false, the extra work might actually do some damage to the periodontal ligament that holds your teeth in, claims about pulling out "toxins" are false, claims that it is "better" than toothpaste are false. As far as the fellow who went to the dentist and is now convinced - what is your dental history? Did you have lots of problems before and now you don't have those problems? My assumption is probably not. People have different levels of a handful of bacteria types in their mouths naturally - some folks are prone to cavities and some folks are prone to tartar build up. The second group of folks can be a bit more lackadaisical about oral hygiene with fewer consequences. So at the end of the day, why not just brush and floss? It is cheaper, works faster, and has the added benefit of topical fluoride (yes, will make you sick if you swallow it, but you aren't an infant, I think you can handle it), that shrinks the pores of your teeth and makes them more impervious to bacterial infection and acid erosion (ie cavities). And for the people that are all "HA! it IS Toxic!!!" we use lots of things that would be toxic if ingested (sunscreen, soap, alcohol, which makes you feel funny because it is poison, etc), so it's not like this is the only product on the market that you should avoid swallowing.

*Note - I worked in dentistry, but I am not a dentist. Do not construe my comment as advice, merely informed opinion.