Are you close to your family/relatives?

Options
13»

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My mother because I know she needs me.

Great way to phrase this. This is me exactly. Never had a great relationship, but can't abandon her.

I am also super close with my brothers. 2 Half sisters I am also close with. Extended fam wise - my Dad's side of family I am close with but don't see them enough (just busy in my own life, and my Mother doesn't get along with them well). My Mom's side of the family are ****ing weirdos so don't seem them ever (or at least try not to).
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Not particularly. My father dies 10 years ago and my mom died 7 years ago. They were the glue that held everything together.

I have a cousin, Debbie, that I am closer to than my own siblings.

My two sisters are both drama queens that are on again/off again, so I avoid that drama by avoiding them.

My brother has made one bad decision after another and will probably be retiring on minimal Social Security, no savings/investments and living in an apartment. I haven't seen him in 2 years, though he lives 10 miles away. I don't want to support him in his retirement, so I avoid him

I am very close to my immediate family. 3 Daughters and 2 grandaughters. I also get along very well with two of my wifes's sisters. In fact, it's not unusual for one or both of them to join my wife and I on vacation.
  • kdcj17
    kdcj17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm very close to my parents. My sister, not so much. We're polar opposites when it comes to personalities. Most of my extended family lives in California and Arkansas, so we're not very close, but we do keep in touch. More than I do with my sibling, in fact.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    We have a huge family and spent all our time together growing up and as adults, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. My best friend for years has been my cousin. Then my daughter and I moved out of state 1,000 miles away and we knew not a soul here. We stay in touch all the time with the family and see them as much as possible, but have been lucky to make some great friends here that have turned into family. I just wish my mom lived closer, she's about 550 miles away.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am extremely close with my family---parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I tell them everything, talk to them about sex...pretty much anything goes. Some people think that is odd, but I love it. My family is pretty cool, and it would hang out with them even if we weren't related.
  • Inbef84
    Inbef84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am extremely close to my dad's side of extended family... Aunts, uncles, first cousins, second cousins, nephews, niece... The whole works... And my moms side I am just close to her siblings...
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and am blessed to have two healthy parents, my three siblings and a ton of aunts, uncles, and cousins with whom I'm still close. My family are most of my friends.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Had a nice family bash this weekend! Whole family played volleyball!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Family is a big word.... I have some family I love and am very close with, and some family I don't care for and don't like to be around. You don't get to pick 'em.

this!