What's your opinion on MapMyRun?

Options
_rachel_k
_rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
I have two 5K to participate in on July 5th and I have been working out but not doing any actual running. I am looking for a good app to help me track my distance/progress. I have been using C25K while I worked out on the elliptical but I don't know anyone who uses it when they go running. I had one friend suggest MapMyRun but they haven't used it.

Replies

• craftytasha
    craftytasha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The Nike run app is quite good, a bit better than map my run
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like mapmyrun, but it's not 100% reliable. The voice feedback is good, and it synchs with my fitness pal
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be reasonably accurate and consistent. I do a lot of the same trails regularly, and usually get consistent distances and burns.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun is what I used before I got my Garmin. No complaints here.
    Any of the major apps are pretty much equal across the board. It comes down to more of a preference/what you are used to than anything.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper now. I have tried both mapmyrun and runtatic. So fed runkeeper is my favorite. I would recommend trying out a few.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    MapMyrun is ok, but there are better apps out there with more features. Runtastic, Runkeeper, Nike+, Endomondo to name a few.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    MapMyrun is ok, but there are better apps out there with more features. Runtastic, Runkeeper, Nike+, Endomondo to name a few.

Not arguing - it's a genuine question because my learn to run group is currently having this discussion - what other features are available?
  • musial
    musial Posts: 5
    Options
    I prefer RunKeeper or EndoMondo. And both integrate with MFP.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Nike app but only slightly; they both seem to do the job. I like that the Nike app allows you to easily track mileage for different shoes. I wish it allowed a longer pre-run countdown like Map My Run does - on the Nike app a 10 second countdown is your only choice.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but my MapMyRun GPS is off by .2 miles/mile run. I know this because I tried it out on a track, several times. So I'm never sure if I really did run 5 miles or not. I do a lot of trail running, so I was curious what distance I was covering. I'm not convinced. My sister runs with me and uses Nike + and it seems more accurate. That said, I'm really only trying for a ballpark.

Oh, and iMO, it grossly overestimates my burn. I'm not in any way convinced that I am burning 945 calories running at an 11:30 pace for 70 minutes. That's pretty slow. It would be nice, but probably not true :grumble:

~Curly
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but my MapMyRun GPS is off by .2 miles/mile run. I know this because I tried it out on a track, several times. So I'm never sure if I really did run 5 miles or not. I do a lot of trail running, so I was curious what distance I was covering. I'm not convinced. My sister runs with me and uses Nike + and it seems more accurate. That said, I'm really only trying for a ballpark.

Oh, and iMO, it grossly overestimates my burn. I'm not in any way convinced that I am burning 945 calories running at an 11:30 pace for 70 minutes. That's pretty slow. It would be nice, but probably not true :grumble:

~Curly

Any GPS apps and even dedicated GPS like Garmin have an accepted error rate.

(biggest pet peeve as a race director when people complain about the course being too long or too short based on the Garmin :bigsmile:
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper...the free version...and I love it....
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    I use a Garmin forerunner but I upload to runkeeper. If I forget my watch Runkeeper is my go to.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have runmeter- I love it. The GPS is really reliable and accurate and it has a lot of different options. I have heard from others that mapmyrun's gps is off. I ran a 1/2 marathon this weekend and the people around me using the mapmyrun app were saying that it was way off and my gps was pretty on spot with the mile markers they had set up.

But, its as always a personal preference.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    runkeeper is my favorite
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    What? If you're doing a 5k in just over a month, you need to get running, and running out side. Elliptical training is not running.
  • klreiland
    klreiland Posts: 14
    Options
    I prefer the Nike app but only slightly; they both seem to do the job. I like that the Nike app allows you to easily track mileage for different shoes. I wish it allowed a longer pre-run countdown like Map My Run does - on the Nike app a 10 second countdown is your only choice.

My Nike App only gives a 3 second countdown and I can disable it for immediate start if I want to. I really like the Nike app.
  • ManjeetBhatia
    ManjeetBhatia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used MapMyRun for a while, tried Runtastic for a week and have been using Runkeeper for a while now. I'm happy with it. I had the free version which is pretty good but got the free upgrade to premium now (Galaxy S5 promo).

I'd say try them all and see which one you like the best.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Not arguing - it's a genuine question because my learn to run group is currently having this discussion - what other features are available?
    One of the main reasons I switched from MapMyRun to Runtastic was Runtastic has a live tracking feature. And it's the only app I know of so far that does this. It's a nice safety feature my husband and I use to keep tabs on each other while we are out running.