Healthy Groceries for around $100/month

Options
fatalis_vox
fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
Greetings fellow MFPers! I've had this on my mind for a while, and I thought I'd write a post on it, just in case anyone else could use my model.

Disclaimers: I live in Texas, and the cost of living here isn't terribly high. I'm citing my grocery prices locally; yours may be different.. A week's worth of groceries here typically costs me around $20. The remaining $20 goes to things I don't buy every week. It covers items that I buy bi-weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, etc. For example: Seasonings, sauces, rice, oatmeal, etc. Also, I live alone with just my dog. So this is a one-person meal budget. It may not work properly for people with mouths to feed. If you lift or do other heavy exercise, this plan likely won't work for you. You'll probably wind up needing to double the amounts or more. Sorry I can't be of more help! But for people like me, who are trying to lose fat through diet and light exercise (rather than gaining muscle), it's a great starting point.

Backstory: Some of you know, I've been dealing with depression and a particularly rough patch of life. I gave myself until April to mope around and eat my feelings (gaining 20 pounds) and then I told myself I would start taking care of myself again. I did this in various ways, but I'm talking about groceries here.

I've always had a problem: I hate cooking for one. I feel like it's a waste of my time and energy. But eating out or ordering in all the time was getting really expensive, both financially and physically. So when I decided to start taking care of myself, I knew this would involve some cooking. I resigned myself to it.

So I decided that I would start walking to the grocery store and getting groceries for a couple meals at a time and walking home. Two healthy decisions! Eventually I got that down to one trip a week.

Here's what I get EVERY WEEK when I go to the grocery store:

One package(2-3 pounds) fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts: (~$5)
One package (10 oz) fresh salmon* (~$8)
2-3 pounds of whatever fresh vegetables look good that week. (Generally $2-4)

*Salmon can be replaced with cheaper fish or another meat. I mostly have it in here because I love it and it's full of good fats.

That's my week's worth of lunches and dinners. For $15-$20.

About every other week, I get my snacks. I usually grab one of the 5-lb bags of apples that cost about $3, a package of raw almonds that's about $4, and a 3-pack of seasoned seaweed sheets. ($1. Don't judge me; they're a delicious, nutrient-dense, calorie-light munchy-snack.)

So that's about another $8.

About once a month, I get:
One 2-lb bag of rice ($2-$3)
One container store-brand organic one-minute oats ($3)

Every once in a while, I get soy sauce, terriyaki sauce, lemon and lime juice, sugar, spices, a package of dried fruit for a change, etc. This usually winds up being about $5 a month, because I don't need to get every one every month. Some months, I don't need to get any.

So.

$20 x 4 = 80
$8 x 2 = 16
$5 x 1 = 5

So we have 80 + 16 + 5 = $101.

Bam.

I generally eat about 5-6 ounces of chicken at a meal, which is around half a chicken breast. The salmon I buy is generally in two 5-oz portions anyway, so that works for two meals. That 3-pound pack of chicken is good for six or eight meals.

My prep generally includes preparing 2 servings at a time. I throw the rice in a rice cooker and forget about it until it beeps (I eat about a half-cup of cooked rice at a time.) While the rice is cooking, I preheat the oven to $350. I line a baking pan with foil and put my protein in the middle. One whole chicken breast, or both salmon fillets. I pack the vegetables around the outside or the protein (Broccoli, green beans, asparagus, squash, carrots, whatever. I get different veggies every week.) and then add my seasoning. It usually winds up being about a quarter-pound of veggies per serving, so that's 8 meals.

You can use almost anything you like as seasoning, just make sure you check the serving size and plan accordingly. Soy sauce, citrus juice, herbs and spices, pasta sauce (A serving is a quarter cup, and if that's how much you use it isn't too bad), balsamic vinegar, herbed butter, whatever. Sometimes I even like to use salsa, even though it's high-sodium.

So I top that off with foil (and usually a little water in the bottom of the pan) and throw it in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. I serve myself up one meal, and then I put the rest in a container for lunch the next day.

Breakfast usually consists of a bowl of oatmeal, lightly sweetened and seasoned, and I mostly drink water. For a few extra dollars, you can add on tea bags to make hot or iced tea, water flavorings, herbs and berries for water infusions, etc.

Breakfast generally runs me about 300 calories (I'm including coffee with creamer in this, because I don't do it every day and it's free at my office)

Lunch and dinner usually run 350-400 calories

I allow myself 200 calories of snacks--Generally, an apple and a handful of almonds.

That tops off at about 1300 calories. MFP often suggests you eat 1200, but I think most people aim a little higher than that. I, personally, aim for about 1400. This gives me about a hundred calories of wiggle-room that I can fill with "a little extra" or one thing or another and, coupled with regular (light) exercise, has allowed me to lose ten pounds since I started in April (I topped off at 150; I just broke below 140) and I feel healthier and more energetic the longer I stick with it.

Now you'll notice that there isn't a full 21 meals/week on here. Mostly, that's because I account for real life. I aim for the 80/20 rule: 80% of the time, I try to stick to my diet plan. The other 20% is for when real life happens--I forget my lunch at home. Someone buys pizza for the office. A friend invites me to dinner. I'm just plain not hungry. I don't have the energy for more than a drive-through on my way home.

Whatever. It's life, and it happens. So I account for it in my budget, and try to not to buy food that I'm not going to eat. (Worst case, I make one extra run to the store for stuff for one or two meals.)

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's cool you shared this.

I couldn't eat that because I would be sick of it all really quickly, and would never wanna look at another apple or chicken breast again.

But -- I think it's great for others who may want ideas, and it's nice to see that other people can eat cheaply and well. My husband and I spend anywhere from $150-250 per month on our groceries, which I learned in other threads here is "crazy low" and I don't feel that we pinch pennies all that much.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to get sick of it that much because there's SO MUCH that you can do to change the flavor. I'm really good with seasonings.

And I don't think I could ever get sick of apples. I admit to having it easy, lol! (Though you could easily substitute other hand fruits.)

What's your grocery list usually like?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    This just made me depressed about how much more expensive food is here in Australia
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooking either, but you make it sound so simple. This is the third time I have heard of a rice cooker, so I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

Thanks for sharing!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Wish I lived in Texas. I spend $350+ A WEEK on groceries.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My groceries run about $400 a month. But that includes food for my two adult sons who live here and our really big Labrador. It also includes all paper goods, pet food and treats, and cleaning supplies. I do coupon, shop sales and stockpile enough for between sales. If I didn't coupon our grocery bill would probably be twice that. But then my boys are big meat eaters and they love fresh fruit.
  • Gregg8322
    Gregg8322 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    about 120
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    So what about Greek yogurt, milk, eggs, bread, or other fruits? Those are all staples for me and I'd go nuts without them lol. I also live in Texas and spend about $80-$100/ week for me and my boyfriend, but this also includes basic toiletries, cleaning supplies, and random household things like dryer sheets and paper plates.

Since you basically buy the same things each week does that mean that you pretty much eat the same things every day?
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    wow here in Canada food must be really expensive. I just went to the local market the other day and picked up just a few things....
    2 nectarines -$1.52
    yellow string beans -$.80
    2 chicken breasts- $5.43
    1 haddock fillet $2.45
    2 store made fish cakes $4.07

Totaling $14.27.... So much for a weeks worth of groceries here for under $20
    one thing I find really expensive though is butter. $4.99 for a regular block.

Another thing I try to do is look at the flyers and base my "veggies" or even meals around the items that are on sale.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    One of the few things I miss from living in Texas was the grocery bill. The other two things were the gas bill and electricity bill.

Seaweed is awesome.

Rice cookers are a life saver! You can also cook quinoa, steel cut oats, and stuffed grape leaves in that thing. I also use it to keep soup warm. Good stuff.
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm a pescatarian so the non-fish meaty items would be off my list, but it makes me think more about budgeting. I only have about $80 a month for food for myself as I have a little guy who eats $150, plus snacks for my fiance. I'm in Arizona, so the cost of living is pretty cheap here too. Not Texas cheap, but cheap enough. :3
  • annetteh145
    annetteh145 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's amazingly low... I'm jealous! I'm in Connecticut and spend for myself and my daughter around $400 a month. I could do much better though if I would look for sales items more or simply skip expensive things.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Methinks my husband and I need to move to Texas. We spend 200 per week on food - for the TWO of us. :grumble:

ETA: We also live in the Baltimore/D.C. metro area, so everything is SUPER expensive here. And I'm a diabetic, so I need some "specialty" things (sugar-free versions of stuff, etc., which is almost ALWAYS twice as much money).
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.

My first impression is that you're a bit nutrient light. I just can't imagine that you're getting enough servings of fruits and/or veg, in a variety of colors, per day on your plan. You didn't ask for advice, but I want to offer the thought that it's not JUST about calories. It seems like you're eating at most two servings of fruit or vegetable a day.

That said, it's clearly working for you to achieve your goal, it's very economical, and it shows a LOT of discipline. I admire your dedication. I budget 100 dollars a week for myself and two cats for food and other sundries (toilet paper, paper towels, shampoo, etc.) But I tend to eat a LOT of fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables. I love my antioxidants. An unbiased person looking at my plan would probably tell me to eat more protein and whole grains. :-)
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That's amazingly low... I'm jealous! I'm in Connecticut and spend for myself and my daughter around $400 a month. I could do much better though if I would look for sales items more or simply skip expensive things.

I grew up in Ct but moved to NC years ago. You definately could cut your bill with coupons and figuring out the sales cycles. We do very well here once I figured it out. We typically go through 2-3 gallons of milk a week, have hamburger (93%), steak, chicken breast, and fish, lots of fruit and veggies (whatever I find on sale, just froze some bananas tonight), not to mention cheese, hummus and snack for my sons. I have paid no more than $1 for a box of cereal (all name brands including Bare Naked, Quaker, Kelloggs etc).
  • 1kimchris
    1kimchris Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW....THAT'S INCREDIBLE!!! ONLY 100 HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH...WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN? I LIVE IN NJ AND MY FOOD BILL IS APPROX. 150 A WEEK FOR MYSELF AND HUSBAND PLUS WE EAT OUT 2-3 TIMES A WEEK.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    (...)
    One package(2-3 pounds) fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts: (~$5)
    One package (10 oz) fresh salmon* (~$8)
    (...)
    I live in the NY area.
    The absolute cheapest, lowest-quality stew beef that I've seen at my nearest supermarket is 5$/pound.
    Yes mad.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of bananas (super cheap!) And potatoes, instead of your apples and rice. I don't like fish, but pork is very cheap, and has lots of lean cuts too.

I also go by what's in season (meaning it's on sake) and what meats are on sale. I like to get turkey and ham when they go on sale at different holidays.

We also eat lots of eggs (cheap and fast) and homemade granola with yogurt. A minimum amount of work goes a long way to saving money on food.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For 2 years and 11 months we really lived off rice, beans, eggs, yogurt, frozen mixed veg and whatever meat was $0.99 a lb or less. This allowed us to pay off our mortgage. We became super creative with every permutation of this combination of food. Honestly tho, we often just ate bacon, egg and veggie fried rice. We would buy a 5 lb box of bacon ends, put handfuls into zip lock baggies, freeze and hack off an inch to season our food. We bought brown rice in 20 lb bags at the Asian mkt. We weren't shy to let everyone know we would accept any extra produce from their garden or really any food they didn't want. People gave us deer meat, crappie, berries, figs, corn, and so much yellow squash my husband stopped eating it for 5 years:). Was totally worth all the teasing when we ripped up the mortgage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to get sick of it that much because there's SO MUCH that you can do to change the flavor. I'm really good with seasonings.

And I don't think I could ever get sick of apples. I admit to having it easy, lol! (Though you could easily substitute other hand fruits.)

What's your grocery list usually like?

A big mix, really, but we try to think of 5-6 meal ideas for each week and shop pretty strictly from a list. We live near 3 stores that provide a good mix and low prices (Aldi, a discount supermarket, and a locally owned natural food store).

We eat a lot of eggs, beans, lentils, a mix of fresh & frozen vegetables and fruit, brown rice, etc. Frozen salmon and shrimp, some tofu and veggie burgers/bacon (my husband is pescetarian so I don't cook/buy meat and just order it occasionally when we go out). Most weeks we'll do Mexican style food once or twice, a stir fry, soup, breakfast for dinner (vegan pancakes or some sort of crepe), some sort of Thai- or Indian-inspired meal, and Italian (healthier versions of pasta or pizza). Breakfast is usually eggs or fridge oats with Greek yogurt, fruit & flaxseed.