People yappin' at the gym - rant

Options

Replies

• dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I recently became a Senior citizen. Sometimes I work out at the Senior Center gym and sometimes at the regular gym. I notice that people at the senior center gym chat A LOT more. I think for many of them, the gym is one of their main social activities. Some of them have tough things going on, such as being recently widowed, or they are caring for a terminally ill spouse, etc.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do hate when people are just standing around but sometimes they could just be talking during their resting time,.. now a days since i've been training for strength i allow myself a bit more time between sets and i'll find myself talking to my partner ..

I feel like if you have time to be looking around though you're not focused enough in your own workout... many times my friends will ask me if i noticed a certain girl.. and i honestly will say no...

i could be looking straight at her but if i'm squatting my focus is on getting that weight back up
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I run some cardio classes. If people are chatting during that, then I basically let them know (in a nice way) that they aren't putting in anywhere near enough effort.

For strength training, if someone is talking (or laughing) mid set that is basically a sign to make it a LOT harder. I don't get many people talking anymore :laugh:

Mid set, farkin go for your life. It's rest time.

Then there are other times when I just want to burn a few cals and do some LISS cardio. I can easily chat during this. This is more like active recovery though not actual training.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    yeah not really. if I'm in a zone I can't hear anyone- and in those classes you can't just tune out entirely.

Suppose giving a blanket statement about zones was wrong- everyone has their own idea of a zone. Shrug- to me it's just not the same.

if I'm in the zone NOTHING else is happening- I'm working and nothing else- I'm not talking- I'm not yelling- I'm not listening- there is no room for anyone else or their voice. So it just can't happen for me in a dance workout class.

That is my definition of a zone as well... *shrug*

If you primarily or even seriously do fitness classes, your intensity could vary from class to class. What if you already know and anticipate the moves? Can you zone out and just bust out the moves? What if the next instruction is 32 push ups or 32 squat jumps or high knee runs? What are you listening to during that set? Might you concentrate on working hard? Even in yoga type classes, it could take a lot of concentration to hold certain poses. Many of these simply wouldn't be conducive to people who have shown up and prefer to just talk throughout while everyone else is trying to get their money's worth, fighting for their lives and work hard
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    yeah not really. if I'm in a zone I can't hear anyone- and in those classes you can't just tune out entirely.

Suppose giving a blanket statement about zones was wrong- everyone has their own idea of a zone. Shrug- to me it's just not the same.

if I'm in the zone NOTHING else is happening- I'm working and nothing else- I'm not talking- I'm not yelling- I'm not listening- there is no room for anyone else or their voice. So it just can't happen for me in a dance workout class.

If you primarily or even seriously do fitness classes, your intensity could vary from class to class. What if you already know and anticipate the moves? Can you zone out and just bust out the moves? What if the next instruction is 32 push ups or 32 squat jumps or high knee runs? What are you listening to during that set? Might you concentrate on working hard? Even in yoga type classes, it could take a lot of concentration to hold certain poses. Many of these simply wouldn't be conducive to people who have shown up and prefer to just talk throughout while everyone else is trying to get their money's worth, fighting for their lives and work hard

Fighting for our lives... with yoga???
    Most+pony+posts+that+make+page+1+and+2+actually+_32019f639b94fe3c5687b4dc0b911f55.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Fighting for our lives... with yoga???
    Most+pony+posts+that+make+page+1+and+2+actually+_32019f639b94fe3c5687b4dc0b911f55.gif

Well do you primarily or seriously participate in fitness classes? If not, you won't have the capacity to understand what I just posted anyway, so

In any case the person I responded to seems to frequently insinuate that if it's not lifting a 200 lb weight then it's pretty much play and not work. Guess I don't know you or your thought process on the subject so I shouldn't have bothered trying to explain
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wear headphones, listen to music and totally zone out to most other people unless I'm checking out someone's muscles ;)
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I wear headphones, listen to music and totally zone out to most other people unless I'm checking out someone's muscles ;)

I usually try to stand behind someone who is totally and utterly fit so it motivates me to push myself as i see them being awesome! :)
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If your focus is broken by something as inane as people having a conversation, you're doing it wrong.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well do you primarily or seriously participate in fitness classes? If not, you won't have the capacity to understand what I just posted anyway, so

In any case the person I responded to seems to frequently insinuate that if it's not lifting a 200 lb weight then it's pretty much play and not work. Guess I don't know you or your thought process on the subject so I shouldn't have bothered trying to explain

I just think people are often don't understand how to get from point A to point B and are fed a boat load of lies by Shape/Women's Day Fitness about how to get the bodies they want. Classes are good- they are great for a lot of people for a lot of reasons- and anyone doing something is on the right path.

I take zumba- I do a class once a week for funsies and a good way to sneak in extra cardio- and yes I have fun- I'm smiling and yelling and working hard.... but I'm under no delusion that's it's a complete workout for my body or will maintain what I have.

For over all fitness and health, a well balanced program includes cardiovascular training and a systematic weight training program.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    If your focus is broken by something as inane as people having a conversation, you're doing it wrong.
    this
    i dont see what the issue is. if its in the middle of a set and someone talks to you then yes its annoying, but to be so irritable that youre annoyed at 2 people having a normal conversation seems a bit ridiculous
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Swoon. That is all.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Yeah I agree with this!

Let's hope the player's focus in any competitive sports match isn't broken by the thousands of screaming fans at the games
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I go to classes with a coach so have to listen to the instructions.
    Mind you, i wear ear plugs because the sound gets so high and i already have a damaged ear from going to too many concerts.

It's the fact that some yapp away constantly that i don't get. Why don't they just yapp over coffee?

If it's in a classroom (whether it be at an academic institution, gymnasium, or other place where there is someone sharing their advice/wisdom with the class) then talking while the instructor is talking to the class is simply bad manners.

But if it's just out in the open gym area, other than being careful to not impede others trying to work out, I just tend to try to tune everyone else out as I go through my routine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I just think people are often don't understand how to get from point A to point B and are fed a boat load of lies by Shape/Women's Day Fitness about how to get the bodies they want. Classes are good- they are great for a lot of people for a lot of reasons- and anyone doing something is on the right path.

I take zumba- I do a class once a week for funsies and a good way to sneak in extra cardio- and yes I have fun- I'm smiling and yelling and working hard.... but I'm under no delusion that's it's a complete workout for my body or will maintain what I have.

For over all fitness and health, a well balanced program includes cardiovascular training and a systematic weight training program.

Got it. Unless we lift heavy chit all our muscles and skin will just fall right off. We're the deluded ones
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that if everyone else in the weight room is noticing your behavior, chatting and whatnot, you are doing it wrong.

All I can say is that if you are noticing my behavior, you're doing it wrong. Focus on your owndamnself, thankyouverymuch.

96097d1366058173t-g37s-rev-limit-cartman1.jpg
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No yapping, but, unfortunately, there is a guy with whose workout I occasionally coincide. He doesn't yap, but he SINGS, loudly, not at all well (with headphones on), and off-key, while on the elliptical. Initially, it was amusing to hear his enthusiasm. Now, I'm glad my path rarely crosses his. I can't get the volume up sufficiently to drown him out.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I could hear one woman on the treadmill area where I am talking away non-stop for 45 minutes - 1 hour. She'd talk to anyone nearby. You could hear her over headphones. She was that loud. The first time I thought it was just one time, so I let it go. Then it happened three more times. One day after my workout, I complained to the fitness manager and she took care of it. I haven't seen the woman talk that way ever since. This gym doesn't even allow the TV sets attached to cardio machines to play at any volume, it's all captioned, so to let someone talk incessantly was quite annoying.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have not been to the gym in months but when I did the machines were further apart so you did not have to hear the other's conversation. Also the loud Satellite Radio and my noise cancellation headphones worked.

As for classes there are some that will strike up a conversation before the class but once the workout started you can only hear the instructor shouting over the music.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Yeah I agree with this!

Let's hope the player's focus in any competitive sports match isn't broken by the thousands of screaming fans at the games

I don't really have an opinion on the topic, but this post is ridiculous. The "thousands of screaming fans" have a huge effect on professional athletes. It takes a lot of experience to deal with it. And it's not uncommon at all for players to lose focus because of the fans. Just sayin...