Alcohol

Options
Have you had to cut back or completely quit drinking before seeing results in your weight loss attempts? I love wine and beer, but I feel like I should completely stop drinking for a while. I'd like to know what you did that helped you cut back or completely quit drinking.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Fit the drinks into your calories limit for the day or week.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

This. I have a beer or something else almost every night. Sometimes I walk a few extra miles after dinner just so I can then have one. Make it fit and enjoy life as though you only get to do it once.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cut it completely while I was trying to lose weight (6 months). I now drink maybe once every two months. If that. The body doesn't metabolize the alcohol like it does other food. It converts it almost directly to fat, and since I'm trying to lower my bf I try to avoid it.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had to cut back. Now I work it into my calories for the day. Sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesn't.
    I do notice a difference when I haven't drank for awhile around retaining water. Other than that, I don't think it matters as long as you remain at a defict.

Sometimes that extra 20 minutes is so I can drink! :drinker:
  • RelentlessChef
    Options

What Branstin said
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I have cut back
    It didnt change much
    When I cut it out all together.. it still didnt change much
    So I am back to beer one day a week! :love: :drinker:
  • manjoharris
    manjoharris Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've found I've had to cut it out all together. When I have nights out with friends I drink beer and it sets my weight loss back about a week each time. :(
  • aarnwine2013
    Options
    I cut it completely while I was trying to lose weight (6 months). I now drink maybe once every two months. If that. The body doesn't metabolize the alcohol like it does other food. It converts it almost directly to fat, and since I'm trying to lower my bf I try to avoid it.

The body converts it to fat? Do you have a link I could read?
  • brower47
    Options

Not necessary. If you're in a caloric deficit, it will not be converted directly or even indirectly to fat.

Science.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had a glass of wine sometimes two glasses every night since I started actively trying to lose weight. I've lost 15 pounds during that time. I just make sure it fits in my calories and will often eat as much as I want for dinner before I drink a glass of wine.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I run extra so I can have some beer. I love craft beer!:drinker:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have you had to cut back or completely quit drinking before seeing results in your weight loss attempts? I love wine and beer, but I feel like I should completely stop drinking for a while. I'd like to know what you did that helped you cut back or completely quit drinking.

Like all things caloric have to take in moderation and log it to fit into your calorie goal. Wine and beer can have several hundred calories in a drink. You can have them, just means you are eating less that day though.
  • aarnwine2013
    Options
    I run extra so I can have some beer. I love craft beer!:drinker:

I like you! My motivation- BEER
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much, but when I do, I fit it within my calorie goal. Mostly shots, craft beer, or red wine.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Alcohol is never converted to fat.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

It is NOT converted into fat - but alcohol is very calorific, and is used as a fuel by the body preferentially, so stopping you burning fat.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I drink every day

and still lose weight :drinker:
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There is no need to cut it out completely. You have to find a healthy long term sustainable balance that fits into your lifestyle. You can still have it, just make sure it fits into your calorie goal. There may be a random Friday night that you will go over b/c you had one too many, but even that is not going to derail your weight loss efforts.

I have a glass of wine daily, and beer every weekend and have been maintaining and lowering my body fat percentage for 4 months now. I just log what I drink and am mindful of it....except for the occasional night when I may have a few more, but it all balances out in the end.

Its different for everyone, so you just have to find what works for you. Good luck!
  • brower47
    Options

It is NOT converted into fat - but alcohol is very calorific, and is used as a fuel by the body preferentially, so stopping you burning fat.

It won't stop you from burning fat if your overall calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditures.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest problems right now are:

- the fact that I never really know when my bf is going to bring home beer, and I'll drink one without thinking about how it fits into my calories.

- the fact that I have a broken foot and no pool access. The doc also recommended that I don't use a stationary bike bc it puts pressure directly on my metatarsals.

It's harder to balance things with my alcohol intake right now, since my exercise options are limited.