advice to your former self

Question for all my MFP friends: if you had to start this journey all over, what's the ONE piece of advice you wish somebody had given you?

Replies

• DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Track every day.

Even if it's a "cheat" day (God, I hate that phrase).

Even if you go over.

Even if you didn't exercise.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Get off your butt, stop being lazy and saying "I don't have time" because you know that's bulls**t and eat a little less, former self. I'll be much happier with you if you do since I'll have less work to do and probably be a little healthier long-term as a result.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Stop weighing everyday.
    Don't starve yourself.
    Yes, you can run that extra 5 min.
    Yes you have to log everything.
    You have to have rest days.
    Forgive yourself.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Learn the facts behind weight loss and dismiss everything else.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Losing weight does not equal happiness, that is something you have to work on separately.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Walk away from the chocolate.
  • aarnwine2013
    Losing weight does not equal happiness, that is something you have to work on separately.

I love this! This is so true... I'm not sure why I thought if I weighed less, life would suddenly be a fantastic place... I had to discover that first then focus on losing weight!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Don't be happy as a young, fat guy because you can still play all of the sports you want to. When you get older, all of that wear and tear will come back to bite your *kitten* *and* it will be that much harder to lose the weight.

Also, beer *is* yummy, but 12 aren't that much more yummy than 3-4.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member

I love this! This is so true... I'm not sure why I thought if I weighed less, life would suddenly be a fantastic place... I had to discover that first then focus on losing weight!

Not to go off subject...but I found that when you start losing weight, it often equals hardship, crabbieness and unhappieness because I feel that there are people at every flipping turn trying to ruin it. I am happiest when I work out and eat well, and yet, I think many of the people in my life would rather me stay fat and sad so they can feel better about themselves. It is a struggle day to day and I am picking myself up every day and brushing myself from the falls, but I keep getting up and brushing off. Happieness is so important!!!!
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Thanks guys & gals! These are all awesome. I frequently have friends ask me for advice so I'm going to compile a list of these. I got so frustrated in the beginning and all of these would have definitely helped me on a daily basis. :)
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Adviceto my former self is that yes, losing weight is easier than you think.

When I was in the whoa-is-me phase I was thinking how hard and how long the road would be and it wouldnt be worth all the effort, but in the end it is easier and cheaper to lose the weight than to keep it on and gain.

Less food eaten = less planning for meals/places to eat = more $$ in my pocket.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member

Not to go off subject...but I found that when you start losing weight, it often equals hardship, crabbieness and unhappieness because I feel that there are people at every flipping turn trying to ruin it. I am happiest when I work out and eat well, and yet, I think many of the people in my life would rather me stay fat and sad so they can feel better about themselves. It is a struggle day to day and I am picking myself up every day and brushing myself from the falls, but I keep getting up and brushing off. Happieness is so important!!!!

I'm with you on this one. It gets easier everyday to ignore the haters though :) I heard this quote, "Don't worry about what I'm doing. Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing." So true! Do your thing, stay focused, stay happy.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Stop running - Get under the barbell
  • gmcoulombe
    gmcoulombe Posts: 14 Member
    No you can't say "screw it" because you will regret it tomorrow.
    It's worth it.
    It takes a few weeks to notice a difference so stick to it.
    Log before you eat!
    Don't worry if you slip up. Do better on the next meal, don't wait till the next day.
    People with insecurities of their own won't like it when you lose weight but don't hold that against them.
    People will get sick of you talking about what you can and can't eat. Just order your food and don't make a big deal out of it.
    When planning to hang out with friends, suggest activities that don't revolve around food. They will want to do them.
  • aarnwine2013

Do not let people ruin this for you! They don't matter, you do. I refuse to let anyone ruin the hard work I've put into this. I'm a different person than I was just a few short months ago. I'm happier, fitter and no longer obese! Celebrate your wins! You are awesome!
  • FitGirlNani
    FitGirlNani Posts: 33 Member
    Once you're close to your 30's it's harder to lose weight, especially fat around your arms, back, and lower abs. :(
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Do less cardio, more weights.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Do not stop exercising regularly, you will regret it.

I actually did give myself that advice. Repeatedly, but I didn't listen. I knew it was true, but still didn't listen.
  • RJKontos
    RJKontos Posts: 17 Member
    Be kind to yourself...
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    "If you keep eating like this, then _this_ is what you'll look like in 5 years. You sure you want to go there?"