Metformin

Options
2»

Replies

• ehodgdend4
    ehodgdend4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ive been on metformin for 7 weeks now and have dropped 26 pounds 16 of that was better eating and light walking 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Now in the last week ive lost 10lbs but ive kept the same diet but ive increased my physical activity to riding a stationary bike 2 times a day any were from 30-45 mins each time. So it does help a little bit mostly its diet and exercise also

Now the people who say they cant have rice, well you can, Brown rice. read the labels to see what the carbs are in a serving most of the time 1/3 cup is about 15 carbs some will say 1/2 cup= 24 carbs ill eat that some type of veg like brocc or cauliflower and a piece of chicken and im good and full
  • pishposh12
    pishposh12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    this is a question for the women: has anyone had their menstrual cycle affected by metformin?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    omg. spaghetti squash is amazing. and so filling! i made a mediterranean 'pasta' with kalamata olives, feta, and tomatoes. so yummy! what thai recipes do you make?

My favorite is Panang curry -- it's super simple. Panang paste, coconut milk, little coconut oil to fry the paste, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, palm sugar (or you could use regular sugar, but palm has lower GI), chicken and thai chili peppers and thai basil for garnish if you like (but these last two are totally optional). I also add a little PB2 as I like mine with a little peanut flavor. PM me and I'll send you the specific recipe. I'm also working on some Tom Kha soup as well, but no need for spaghetti squash there.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    this is a question for the women: has anyone had their menstrual cycle affected by metformin?

I haven't personally as I've always had a regular cycle. But if you check out the PCOS groups, you'll see a lot have said that metformin brought back their cycles.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes, but I do take metformin. I've taken it for a long time, and it's seriously a champ.

I don't really watch my carbs.

metformin was instrumental to my weight loss, definitely a great tool when combined with exercise and watching what you eat. together with it, I've lost over 70 pounds.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I first started taking it, I lost a LOT of weight in the first couple weeks, one of the side effects is appetite suppression. That's calmed down now that I've been on it awhile. I find if I don't keep my carbs under 100g/day, all kinds of "intestinal distress" happens. That'll kick your bread cravings :)

Carbs include everything. Always mix your carbs with a protein. I tend to avoid fruits, but berries are my special little friends.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Green apples and green grapes are okay as well, in moderation of course.

Green apples are medium (39) on the glycemic index.
    Grapes are high (59) on the glycemic index

I'm curious where you got that info from, my diabetes educator said absolutely NO to grapes, and not if you can help it to apples...
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I haven't personally as I've always had a regular cycle. But if you check out the PCOS groups, you'll see a lot have said that metformin brought back their cycles.

Yep, since I've taking metformin and eating a healthy diet, I have been getting my periods every month for the past 4 months. I usually would get them once a year.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    so i'm type I diabetic and my dr. prescribed metformin to help aid with insulin resistance. has anyone else been prescribed this? did it help with weight loss? did it also help with lowering the amount of insulin you took? i read on an earlier thread that people combined it with a low carb diet (~50-100 grams per day) -- is that purely grains or fruit/veg/etc?

thanks for the help!!!
    Type 1 diabetes is not insulin resistance, Diabetes is the result of unchecked insulin resistance and is a more severe chronic condition. I would suggest you get your information from a dedicated diabetes site like the ADA, Prevention etc
    Also try and also check out Dr Bernard Bernstein's site, for up to date and accurate information on the condition.
    By the way fruits are a no-no for diabetics, because of their high sugar content.

The link below is very helpful, and has loads of information if you have diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/

Fruits are NOT a "no-no" food for diabetics, you just have to keep track of your serving sizes. Some fruits, like berries, are much lower in sugar than most other fruits (like pineapples, oranges, grapes, and watermelon) and so many of us stick to those with lower sugar content. I ate some pineapple the other day. I had it and some berries instead of the cake that everyone else was having. As always, you should eat to your meter. Even though we are all diabetic, different foods affect us in different ways. I can tolerate white flour tortillas with ease, for example, while my husband cannot have them as it sends his sugar far too high. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Check your blood sugar often to see how different foods affect you. You might find that grapes are too high in sugar, but that watermelon is just fine. Or you might find that any sugary fruit does you in and you stick to berries. You also can see how different times of the day affect your ability to process sugar in foods. I have a really hard time in the morning, but the evening is easy. I save my fruit for after lunch because my body processes it beautifully.

I've been eating a lot of strawberries and blueberries and I find that my 2-hour reading is around 100.

I take Metformin (500 mg twice daily) and I'm not sure if it has helped me lose weight because I also changed my diet. I've been off-track with my carbs lately, but I try to stick to 100 or less.
  • kvdlc
    kvdlc Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am reading all of your replies and I am so surprised that a lot of you have lost weight on the metoformin. I have been taking it for over 6 years now. At the very beginning I lost 5 pounds and then I just didn't see any results of weight loss. My doctor did diagnose me with insulin resistance. Now I am taking 500mg twice a day, and my blood sugar levels are still a little high from my last doctors visit.. So, now I have lost about 14 pounds but, I think it's because I am eating cleaner and watching my carbs and protein intake. Also, I have incorporated excerise and weight training with my diet. I have been terrible lately checking my blood sugar but, I am going to start this weekend and checking them as often as the doctor would like me to.

Thank you all for all your responses that I got read this morning! It is very interesting to see how everybodys situation is so different. Have a great day and take care of yourselves!
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    so i'm type I diabetic and my dr. prescribed metformin to help aid with insulin resistance. has anyone else been prescribed this? did it help with weight loss? did it also help with lowering the amount of insulin you took? i read on an earlier thread that people combined it with a low carb diet (~50-100 grams per day) -- is that purely grains or fruit/veg/etc?

thanks for the help!!!
    Type 1 diabetes is not insulin resistance, Diabetes is the result of unchecked insulin resistance and is a more severe chronic condition. I would suggest you get your information from a dedicated diabetes site like the ADA, Prevention etc
    Also try and also check out Dr Bernard Bernstein's site, for up to date and accurate information on the condition.
    By the way fruits are a no-no for diabetics, because of their high sugar content.

The link below is very helpful, and has loads of information if you have diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/

Fruits are NOT a "no-no" food for diabetics, you just have to keep track of your serving sizes. Some fruits, like berries, are much lower in sugar than most other fruits (like pineapples, oranges, grapes, and watermelon) and so many of us stick to those with lower sugar content. I ate some pineapple the other day. I had it and some berries instead of the cake that everyone else was having. As always, you should eat to your meter. Even though we are all diabetic, different foods affect us in different ways. I can tolerate white flour tortillas with ease, for example, while my husband cannot have them as it sends his sugar far too high. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Check your blood sugar often to see how different foods affect you. You might find that grapes are too high in sugar, but that watermelon is just fine. Or you might find that any sugary fruit does you in and you stick to berries. You also can see how different times of the day affect your ability to process sugar in foods. I have a really hard time in the morning, but the evening is easy. I save my fruit for after lunch because my body processes it beautifully.

I've been eating a lot of strawberries and blueberries and I find that my 2-hour reading is around 100.

I take Metformin (500 mg twice daily) and I'm not sure if it has helped me lose weight because I also changed my diet. I've been off-track with my carbs lately, but I try to stick to 100 or less.

I also think it's helpful to look at glycemic load as well as glycemic index. Because that takes into account serving size -- and the combination of both is really important for blood sugar. Like watermelon is high-ish GI, but low glycemic load because the serving size would have to be so huge to get to the standard for the GI ratings. So, just keep that in mind too.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I am reading all of your replies and I am so surprised that a lot of you have lost weight on the metoformin. I have been taking it for over 6 years now. At the very beginning I lost 5 pounds and then I just didn't see any results of weight loss. My doctor did diagnose me with insulin resistance. Now I am taking 500mg twice a day, and my blood sugar levels are still a little high from my last doctors visit.. So, now I have lost about 14 pounds but, I think it's because I am eating cleaner and watching my carbs and protein intake. Also, I have incorporated excerise and weight training with my diet. I have been terrible lately checking my blood sugar but, I am going to start this weekend and checking them as often as the doctor would like me to.

Thank you all for all your responses that I got read this morning! It is very interesting to see how everybodys situation is so different. Have a great day and take care of yourselves!

I think it's the combination of all of the above. I don't think metformin does the work for you -- you still have to do the work. But, if you do, you're able to lose weight more like a normal person. I did the work before and was barely getting anywhere. Then, I got on metformin and my thyroid meds, and the work I was doing was finally paying off -- I was losing weight like a "normal" person. Since I have both, it's hard to say if metformin alone would have been enough or if it doesn't make a difference. But, the combo is working for me and my sugar levels are slowing dropping.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    I recently started metformin for PCOS. I have been working my butt off with NO RESULTS until recently. I have lost 7 pounds in this week alone. I'm doing everything the same except taking metformin. So for me it's helping with weight loss! I hope the trend continues. I've been fighting my weight and several other things for years, so it's great to see some results. I have noticed though, I have to be careful with certain foods, but for the most part I feel LOTS better. Hope it works for you!
  • loriyeater
    loriyeater Posts: 8 Member
    Options

My doctor calls me her poster child for the correct way to lose weight & get healthy (eat right, measure foods, exercise, etc). She told me she has NEVER in her career had a patient do this on their own like I have. :blushing: I told her I used MFP and she told me she's tried to get her husband to use it and he sees no benefit in it. Humm; I think he is wrong!

Anyway .. that is my story ...

Regards

I love your story! Way to go and her husband doesn't get it.
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January, and put on 500 mg of metformin once a day. I also went on a very low carb diet- cutting out all grain, sugar (added, not fruit), - I decided on the advice of my doctor to become Paleo.

I no longer count calories, but I do track my food to make sure I'm eating balanced. I'm not always perfectly clean-- I do have a little fake sugar-- but mostly.

I dropped 23 pounds since January. My glucose numbers have been good (last A1C down to 6.1) and I do not take insulin.
    I also have hypothyroidism. My periods became closer together (from 28 days to 21).

Turned out the weight loss had thrown off my thyroid. So, time will tell if that was the cycle problem. Also, because of super clean eating and exercise- not sure if the metformin helped with weight loss, or just the change of lifestyle.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in January, and put on 500 mg of metformin once a day. I also went on a very low carb diet- cutting out all grain, sugar (added, not fruit), - I decided on the advice of my doctor to become Paleo.

I no longer count calories, but I do track my food to make sure I'm eating balanced. I'm not always perfectly clean-- I do have a little fake sugar-- but mostly.

I dropped 23 pounds since January. My glucose numbers have been good (last A1C down to 6.1) and I do not take insulin.
    I also have hypothyroidism. My periods became closer together (from 28 days to 21).

Turned out the weight loss had thrown off my thyroid. So, time will tell if that was the cycle problem. Also, because of super clean eating and exercise- not sure if the metformin helped with weight loss, or just the change of lifestyle.

Do you know why such a low dose? It's my understanding that it doesn't even become effective until at least 1500/day.