Gymgoers: what's with the staring?

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Didn't this used to be called "peoplewatching", a fairly innocuous pastime enjoyed by people in general?

Sorry, I'm not going to avert my eyes in order to protect your delicate sensibilities.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Unless they indicate otherwise or keep a dead-eyed stare going, it might just be curiosity or looking in one direction while zoning out. If they're freaking you out by staring, make a face or, if it's a really persistent weirdo, report them.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that the OP took a cheap shot at people texting or taking pictures of themselves at the gym. How does one simultaneously complain about people staring at them AND complain about people minding their own business?
    Well said.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've taken note and next time between my sets, I shall sit with my eyes closed! I am always looking around and staring out of curiosity as to what others are doing and seeing if I would benefit from it. I fear more that people think im checking them out than criticising them lol

Same. I check out what exercises other people are doing, gets me thinking about my routine and form.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Didn't this used to be called "peoplewatching", a fairly innocuous pastime enjoyed by people in general?

Sorry, I'm not going to avert my eyes in order to protect your delicate sensibilities.

^this.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Usually I watch just out of curiousity. Trying to learn or just see what different people do. If I look like I'm glaring it's probably cuz someone's hogging a machine in my circuit and I'm trying to gauge if they'll be finished soon.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Like other people who replied, I have an issue with the cheap shots in the original question. And if the OP is taking time to notice the "selfies" being taken, isn't OP guilty of what other people are doing?

It's human nature to be curious about what other people are doing. Personally, if I'm looking at you in the gym, I'm either giving you mental kudos for what you're doing, looking at your form (yours might be a lot better than mine!) or I'm just genuinely curious.

Looking isn't always a bad thing.

As for those "selfies", a lot of times people will take progress pics or will take a photo because they are proud of their hard work. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love when people stare/admire me.

I just look them in the eyes, smile, and nod my head.

I always look better than the people staring, it's usually old men/milfs though.

Me too... oh well. :ohwell:
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It's pretty unavoidable that people are going to look at you and check out what your doing. Like many here, I look for ideas and to compare form with the others in the gym. Honestly, I have no clue if people are watching me while I workout, I am usually to self-absorbed and caught up as I am lifting, and that I have my headphones jammed in my ears -- immersed in the music for added motivation to notice.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the gym, and I'm hoping you'll shed some light on this: why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? It's not just the people who go to the gym and think they're getting fit by texting and taking selfies, it's also the people who do actual sets in the weight room and then use their break between sets to stare.

I have serious back issues and go to physical therapy once a week, and my therapist has made me a personal training program to do at the gym during the week. The program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business? I'd understand if somebody came to make sure I know what I'm doing and/or offered advice on using a piece of equipment, but no. They just stared.

Nice Thread!

50199574.jpg
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I am nearsighted and take off my glasses to work out.

I can't see more than 5 ft away clearly.

However, someone doing something different or unusual is noticeable by all.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I look around between sets because I like seeing how other people are lifting and their form. If they are doing it right, I take mental notes to try and mimic their movements to avoid doing it wrong. If they are doing it wrong, I confirm what I'm doing wrong, and will consider going over and showing them the right way.

Being a beginner I am primarily just looking around for proper form techniques and seeing how people do it. I won't stare, but I'll definitely look over. If I'm doing it wrong, I'll actually take notes on how people are looking at me, and consider if I'm doing it right or not, and consider it constructive criticism from the way people look at me.

Don't worry so much about people looking at you, it's natural for people to look around. If they're staring....ignore em anyway or ask them if they see you doing something wrong. Everyone at the gym is there for similar reasons of getting in shape. Just do you, and be confident or open minded to suggestions or conversation. I've had no problem asking someone who was a complete stranger if they had any tips, or if they noticed my form lacking in any area, if I notice them looking.

Although your physical therapist gave you a routine to follow that may be out of the ordinary, your form could still be wrong in the way you do them. I saw a man using the bench press to lift his legs up and stretch after his workout, it was a little out of the ordinary, but I was legitimately curious if it was beneficial or not.

Don't always assume observations are judgments. And you can only let judgments affect you as much as you allow it to. Keep up the work and be confident in what you're doing.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Stare at other people at the gym and I'm a nosy jerk. Stare at myself in the mirror at the gym and I'm egotistical. There's no winning. I'm just going to work out with my eyes closed from now on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    In an enclosed space with a good number of people, I would think it is unavoidable. You'd actually have to be trying very hard to not look at people.

It's easy to get paranoid about these things particularly if you're not a people person and like your own space. But it's just the nature of the environment you're in.

This.

It always makes me laugh at the amount of unsocial we get around here- there are a lot of people in small space- interaction and people watching will happen.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

People used to stare at me all the time when I did HIIT training- I know they stare when I DL and squat and goodmorning- it is what it is.

Just do what you have to do and move on.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I only stare at the people doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

Some of you reading this are this guy/girl!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Something else I just remembered...

As far as those people that are texting on the phone. Are you sure that is what they are doing? A lot of people use workout apps to record their sets and keep lists of their lifting routines.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do some very different Yolates (yoga-pilates) exercises, so a lot of people look at me. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes they come up and ask me what I'm doing. Several were so interested that they ended up signing up for Yolates. Often they compliment me on what i'm doing. Even the instructors have come by and told me that I have unsually good balance.

Once I was doing some exercises on an inflatable disk (it looks like a big pancake about 14" in diameter). A few ladies came by (in a friendly way) and said, "That looks easy." I told them to try it. They did and couldn't keep their balance at all.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

As far as those people that are texting on the phone. Are you sure that is what they are doing? A lot of people use workout apps to record their sets and keep lists of their lifting routines.
    true- but really

does it matter if they are or are not texting?

a rest is a rest.

if I want to play candy crush on my rest- that's my prerogative.
    I mostly dance between sets- but sometimes I post on facebook and catch up for the day.

in otherwords: Doesn't matter what anyone is doing- it's nonya buisness.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

true- but really

does it matter if they are or are not texting?

a rest is a rest.

if I want to play candy crush on my rest- that's my prerogative.
    I mostly dance between sets- but sometimes I post on facebook and catch up for the day.

in otherwords: Doesn't matter what anyone is doing- it's nonya buisness.

I agree with you. I just wanted to point it out to the OP since they seemed rather annoyed by it.