If Only I Were a 6'2" Man !

Options
I've been faithfully logging the good and bad on my food diary for over 2 months now. I don't lie to myself or others that read it. But, truth is, it comes out close to 2000 cals daily. I know I need to cut out about 400 of those cals in order to consistently lose weight, but I just don't want to. While reading through my friends food diaries this morning, looking to pick up some new ideas, I realize it's my HEIGHT and SEX that's throwing me off. If I were like my taller, male buddies here, I'd be losing weight weekly! So it's not me, it's because I'm a short female! That's my story, I'm sticking to it . :laugh:

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Amen, I'm right there with you! I'm a 5'1.75" woman.... totally wrong for my caloric desires!
  • Prettypedalpower
    Options
    I'm a 6'2 female and I've lost just over 160lbs. If I eat over 1400 calories I gain. To continue to lose it's 1200. And I workout for more than 2 hours 6x a week. You just need to find the balance that works. Drink heaps of water. Avoid dodgy fats and salt. It will work. ????
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm not overweight, I'm under height but until they come up with a way to make me 7 foot tall, I'm going to have to stick to my allowed calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6'2 female and I've lost just over 160lbs. If I eat over 1400 calories I gain. To continue to lose it's 1200. And I workout for more than 2 hours 6x a week. You just need to find the balance that works. Drink heaps of water. Avoid dodgy fats and salt. It will work. ????

:huh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been faithfully logging the good and bad on my food diary for over 2 months now. I don't lie to myself or others that read it. But, truth is, it comes out close to 2000 cals daily. I know I need to cut out about 400 of those cals in order to consistently lose weight, but I just don't want to. While reading through my friends food diaries this morning, looking to pick up some new ideas, I realize it's my HEIGHT and SEX that's throwing me off. If I were like my taller, male buddies here, I'd be losing weight weekly! So it's not me, it's because I'm a short female! That's my story, I'm sticking to it . :laugh:

or you could just cut 250 a day to lose half a pound a week?
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel Posts: 10,891 Member
    Options

And go for an hours walk a day, burn 250 and lose 1lb :)
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Its not so much the height as the weight and muscle mass. Women have a higher proportion of fat and a lower proportion of muscle mass relative to men. In addition to just being smaller all around, even if they are tall. Makes for a lousy calorie burn.

Always feel bad in restaurants with women, since they serve the same portion to both. Much easier for me to burn through it. I get to pig out a bit more. Women always have to leave something on their plates in order to account for the difference.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    6'3 man here and stuck at this weight for last 8 months. It is mainly your food intake which has 70% effect and the exercise has 30% effect. I have been little high on carbs and every now and then goes over my cals hence no weight loss:(
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options

Oh no thats terrible!
    Im a 6'2 female and I lose on 2000 calories a day. I minimum is my BMR 1750!
    1200 I was dying!! Moody, hangry, shocking. I dont know how the heck you do it! I eat your daily calories for DINNER!

OP Bump up your exercise then you could eat MOAR!
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

• Linda8989
    Options
    That's a great idea! I'd be happy with a 1/2 lb vs NO LB loss
  • Linda8989
    Options
    Its not so much the height as the weight and muscle mass. Women have a higher proportion of fat and a lower proportion of muscle mass relative to men. In addition to just being smaller all around, even if they are tall. Makes for a lousy calorie burn.

Always feel bad in restaurants with women, since they serve the same portion to both. Much easier for me to burn through it. I get to pig out a bit more. Women always have to leave something on their plates in order to account for the difference.
  • Linda8989
    Options
    I so agree! I have a male friend who has never seen an overweight day in his life. We eat out together, he eats a huge portion of food then attacks my leftovers...so not fair : )
  • Singlejules
    Singlejules Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ha ha Linda. Yep as I am 5ft 3inch Im with you on this one. Did make me laugh, thanks. :-)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't complain about being 6'2" and it has nothing to do with calories. 6'2" > 6'0" I'd give it a shot.
  • demonsheep
    demonsheep Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain as a 4'11 woman. Around 1600 is my maintenance! The days I want to eat a lot, I just have to work out longer to balance it out. Seeing my friends' diaries where they are eating 1800-2000+ is like "wow. lucky you!"
  • Linda8989
    Options
    6'3 man here and stuck at this weight for last 8 months. It is mainly your food intake which has 70% effect and the exercise has 30% effect. I have been little high on carbs and every now and then goes over my cals hence no weight loss:(
  • Linda8989
    Options
    I'm sorry you're stuck right now, but it DOES make me feel better that it happens to the guys too....sorry, that's an awful thing for me to say! :laugh:
  • tsmom1128
    tsmom1128 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I go to sleep at night, I am a 5'7" amazingly curvy woman. Then I wake up to my 5' self and think I am dreaming...
  • leodora1
    leodora1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agreed! lol.