NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Options

Replies

• blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Every day on my drive home from work, just in my own little town I drive past a Zaxby's, Sonic, Taco Bell, KFC, Captain D's, Arby's and McDonald's.... not to mention a couple of local BBQ and burger joints and several pizza places. Not a single one of them forces me to pull into their drive-through's.... none of them are out there re-routing traffic into their parking lots. The choice to put on my blinker and pull into one of them is mine and solely mine.... and occasionally I do because sometimes that's just what I feel like eating.

Do they have a RESPONSIBILITY to sell me nutritious, healthy, cheap fast food??? NO, they don't.... and judging by their annual sales, people that frequent these establishments want what they're currently offering. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

Let's face it, if you're going to blame McDonald's and other fast food corporations for making a product that's unhealthy or poses a risk for people, then we may as well go ahead and blame automobile companies, gun manufacturers, alcohol breweries, candy companies, power tool makers.......... the list is endless.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The OP's post is a shining example of what's wrong in this country. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore, instead they want to point fingers and sue everyone they blame for what's gone wrong in their lives. You have the choice on where you choose to eat, and you also have the choice on whether you choose to be active or vegetate in front of the couch for 6 hours after consuming a 1300 calorie meal.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    OP, you are only seeing half of the problem. The other half is that low SES people live in low SES areas, where healthy food is difficult to access because the only sources of food in the area are fast food restaurants and corner stores, and even if the low SES people have a car (which is not likely) and can drive to a relatively distant grocery store, they don't know how to eat healthy and especially how to eat healthy on a budget.

I was raised in a very poor family, but my mother was raised by someone who knew how to eat healthy on a budget: canned/frozen vegetables, meat on sale, pasta/bread/rice is cheap and she always made sure our meals were balanced. No soda except as a treat, no fast food except once every few weeks as a treat, etc. Most low SES families don't have this knowledge and truly believe that fast food and cheap unhealthy food from corner stores is the best they can do or don't understand how to feed their kids (and themselves) proper nutrient balanced meals. I'm not saying it's all McDonald's fault, but it's certainly not solely an individual problem either.

I don't really get this line of thinking. You're agreeing with a post suggesting McDonalds feeds their customers "crap"... if that's the case, why do so many people eat it? You're saying people don't know how to eat "healthy"... not sure that a generic term like "healthy eating" could be any vaguer, but in the context of this discussion, we're simply talking about obesity and so ultimately we're talking overconsumption. I'm pretty sure even the dumbest, poorest American knows that you'll get fat if you shovel down multiple burgers with large fries every single day, if you aren't doing enough exercise to compensate for those calories. They may not be able to engage in a discussion about TDEE, protein requirements, and the like, but I don't buy that anyone struggles to grasp the basic concept of "if I eat too much, I'll get fat(ter)." Even if they somehow didn't know this, you could figure it out by watching yourself get fatter and fatter as you eat more and more burgers, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to self experiment to figure that out. Frankly I think it's a bit condescending to suggest that the obesity epidemic is just because they're too stupid/poor to know better. They know EXACTLY what they're doing; they just choose the short term pleasure of overconsumption, despite the long term consequences of fat gain.

Do people still do it? Of course they do. Burgers are delicious. Soda is delicious. Pizza is delicious. And they're all inexpensive to boot. But blaming McDonalds for making food so tasty that people overconsume it, rather than the people making conscious decisions and paying money to overconsume the food, is faulty logic (common today as people are so quick to blame everyone but themselves for their problems). What you're saying your family had was the ability to eat in moderation. What families that overconsume McDonalds lack is the ability to eat in moderation. McDonald's isn't to blame for that; the other families are.

At the end of the day, it IS solely the individual's responsibility to take care of his own body. You can lose, maintain or gain weight by eating at McDonalds. Which one you do is up to you.

I think you are wrong here. Actually, before joining MFP I might have agreed a little more, but it is shocking how many people know so little about nutrition.

And a "healthy diet" is easy to define. It's a diet that promotes good health. A diet of "healthy foods" that leads to obesity is not a heatlhy diet because obesity =/= good health. And it's very hard not to overeat on cheap crappy food, because cheap crappy food is not filling and leaves your body lacking in nutrition. So you hunger for more food.

Sure everyone knows if they eat too much they'll get fat. But not everyone know WHEN they are eating too much. How can they be hungry if they've eaten too much?

Of course McD is not to blame for the obesity epidemic, but to say that cheap, nutrient deficient, easily accessible food has played no role is oversimplifying the matter. Just as saying personal resposibiltiy is solely to blame is over simplifying the matter. There are so many factors at play.

You can say that about pretty much any place that sells food : Starbucks, Panera Bread.. even any sit down Restaurant.. supermarkets that sell junk food loaded with pesticides and/or junk meat (like hot dogs). That's why you have a choice. Choose wisely.

Companies will do whatever they can do make money. Many people here seem to think that's some kind of genius argument and stop their thinking there.

Consumers have power too. If consumers demand healthier food, nutritional information (as they have) and choose healthier options, companies have to change. It's a combination of personal responsibility and an understanding of consumer rights.

Yeah, actually, that is the argument though. Companies are in business to make money for their shareholders, period. Providing what the customer wants is the best way to do that. Unfortunately for your argument, consumers want McDonalds. If they didn't, the company wouldn't be in business. That's the way it works.

And what's this about consumer rights? Consumers have a right to want what they want. They have a right to buy what kind of food they want. I don't see a violation of rights here at all....

Don't worry though. You have rights too. You can choose not to eat at McDs. There now...problem solved.
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options

YUP!

Let's add Sugar Bear, Lucky, The Trix Rabbit, Count Chocula, Boobery, and Frankenberry, and of course, Aunt Jemima.

Hey now! Leave Sugar Bear, Trix Rabbit and Aunt Jemima out of this! They are three of my close friends! :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, you are only seeing half of the problem. The other half is that low SES people live in low SES areas, where healthy food is difficult to access because the only sources of food in the area are fast food restaurants and corner stores, and even if the low SES people have a car (which is not likely) and can drive to a relatively distant grocery store, they don't know how to eat healthy and especially how to eat healthy on a budget.

I was raised in a very poor family, but my mother was raised by someone who knew how to eat healthy on a budget: canned/frozen vegetables, meat on sale, pasta/bread/rice is cheap and she always made sure our meals were balanced. No soda except as a treat, no fast food except once every few weeks as a treat, etc. Most low SES families don't have this knowledge and truly believe that fast food and cheap unhealthy food from corner stores is the best they can do or don't understand how to feed their kids (and themselves) proper nutrient balanced meals. I'm not saying it's all McDonald's fault, but it's certainly not solely an individual problem either.

I don't really get this line of thinking. You're agreeing with a post suggesting McDonalds feeds their customers "crap"... if that's the case, why do so many people eat it? You're saying people don't know how to eat "healthy"... not sure that a generic term like "healthy eating" could be any vaguer, but in the context of this discussion, we're simply talking about obesity and so ultimately we're talking overconsumption. I'm pretty sure even the dumbest, poorest American knows that you'll get fat if you shovel down multiple burgers with large fries every single day, if you aren't doing enough exercise to compensate for those calories. They may not be able to engage in a discussion about TDEE, protein requirements, and the like, but I don't buy that anyone struggles to grasp the basic concept of "if I eat too much, I'll get fat(ter)." Even if they somehow didn't know this, you could figure it out by watching yourself get fatter and fatter as you eat more and more burgers, but I'm pretty sure they don't need to self experiment to figure that out. Frankly I think it's a bit condescending to suggest that the obesity epidemic is just because they're too stupid/poor to know better. They know EXACTLY what they're doing; they just choose the short term pleasure of overconsumption, despite the long term consequences of fat gain.

Do people still do it? Of course they do. Burgers are delicious. Soda is delicious. Pizza is delicious. And they're all inexpensive to boot. But blaming McDonalds for making food so tasty that people overconsume it, rather than the people making conscious decisions and paying money to overconsume the food, is faulty logic (common today as people are so quick to blame everyone but themselves for their problems). What you're saying your family had was the ability to eat in moderation. What families that overconsume McDonalds lack is the ability to eat in moderation. McDonald's isn't to blame for that; the other families are.

At the end of the day, it IS solely the individual's responsibility to take care of his own body. You can lose, maintain or gain weight by eating at McDonalds. Which one you do is up to you.

I think you are wrong here. Actually, before joining MFP I might have agreed a little more, but it is shocking how many people know so little about nutrition.

And a "healthy diet" is easy to define. It's a diet that promotes good health. A diet of "healthy foods" that leads to obesity is not a heatlhy diet because obesity =/= good health. And it's very hard not to overeat on cheap crappy food, because cheap crappy food is not filling and leaves your body lacking in nutrition. So you hunger for more food.

Sure everyone knows if they eat too much they'll get fat. But not everyone know WHEN they are eating too much. How can they be hungry if they've eaten too much?

Of course McD is not to blame for the obesity epidemic, but to say that cheap, nutrient deficient, easily accessible food has played no role is oversimplifying the matter. Just as saying personal resposibiltiy is solely to blame is over simplifying the matter. There are so many factors at play.

As I understand from your logic, it boils down to the PEOPLE not knowing when to stop eating. So then the problem becomes more of a lack of education than McDonald has anything to do with.

Not really related but I somehow think this is similar to the rape victim blaming, you know, when girls are blamed for dressing inappropriately or going to somewhere they shouldn't, and end up being raped because it's their fault. WRONG! The people who choose to rape others are to blamed. It's the PEOPLE's actions that carry consequences.
    I don't know what I'm talking. Lol.

I don't see the correlation to rape victim blaming, that just seems bizarre. But yes, SOMETIMES it boils down to people not knowing when to stop eating and yes the problem is a lack of education and no McD is not responsible.

Lack of education on calories in food. Lack of education on proper nutrition. Lack of accessible, affordable nutrient dense foods.
    These are all factors in the equation. Saying it's all just choosing to get fat is a gross oversimplification.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I didn't say vendor were responsbile.for anyone's weight or health.

But others have and the only point I was trying to make is that people are responsible for their own situation. Also, I agree that a healthy diet is definable. What I don't agree with is labeling everything at McDonalds "crap" and labeling everything at a co-op "healthy". The implication in some posts in this thread is that eating at McDonalds is "eating crap" and is not "eating healthy", regardless of what you eat and how much of it you eat, whereas I think it's certainly possible to eat at McDonalds as part of a "healthy diet." To the extent people want to talk about a lack of education contributing to the obesity epidemic, I'd argue that attaching useless labels like "crap" and "healthy" to specific food choices evidences such a lack of education and simply adds misinformation to the discussion.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Companies will do whatever they can do make money. Many people here seem to think that's some kind of genius argument and stop their thinking there.

Consumers have power too. If consumers demand healthier food, nutritional information (as they have) and choose healthier options, companies have to change. It's a combination of personal responsibility and an understanding of consumer rights.

Yeah, actually, that is the argument though. Companies are in business to make money for their shareholders, period. Providing what the customer wants is the best way to do that. Unfortunately for your argument, consumers want McDonalds. If they didn't, the company wouldn't be in business. That's the way it works.

And what's this about consumer rights? Consumers have a right to want what they want. They have a right to buy what kind of food they want. I don't see a violation of rights here at all....

Don't worry though. You have rights too. You can choose not to eat at McDs. There now...problem solved.

Why? I can choose to have their salad with their calorie-counted dressing.

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people eat out, many jobs depend on people eating out, it's not a crime - it's just that many of those people eating out don't know a lot about nutrition, and companies profit from not telling them. They make tasty stuff that's bad for us, because it's cheap and sells well. But they only do that for as long as it sells. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

Companies change when their consumers demand it. It's not that hard to understand.
  • TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Options
    It isn't McDonalds fault, or anyone elses, if you are fat, it's your fault! I was bought up knowing Fast food was a treat we got occasionally! These days lazy peeps use fast food outlets as the norm! They display the calories so you are aware you are not eating a calorie free burger!

If you want to lose weight stop eating burgers all the time & then blaming the burger seller! They didn't force you! :D
  • PRMinx
    Options

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people at cheap food, many of those people don't know a lot about nutrition. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

Companies change when their consumers demand it. It's not that hard to understand.

Yes, you can choose that.

Yes, companies change when the majority of their customers demand it.

No, the majority of McDs customers are NOT demanding this change.

Thus, McDs doesn't feel compelled to change.

You're right. It is easy to understand.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This always ends up being a debate over whether people should make choices and take responsibility for those choices or take no responsibility, have choices made for them, and complain when those choices do not meet their expectations.

I am in agreement with the OP. As a kid I ate McDonalds, Arby's, and Burger King weekly if not daily. I also played football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swam, jumped on the trampoline, ran, cycled all over my neighborhood, and had war with my GI Joes in the garden. That is a bit different than eating it and doing nothing more than sitting down in front of some piece of electronics for 8 to 12hrs a day. Which unfortunately is my job. Some people have become inherently lazy. Allowing everyone else to make their choices for them. They blame everything they can because they cannot or will not make the conscious decision to do or not do something. I know plenty of people that eat fast food and look shredded. They put in the effort to look that way. I ended up overweight because I ate anything I wanted and moved a lot less than I used to. I and thousands of people here are doing the same thing. We have made a choice. We may all have different points of view but we know the truth. We cannot eat just anything and everything and end up looking the way we want. That takes some effort on our part. Demanding a fast food restaurant to become nutritionally conscious on each individuals caloric and nutritional needs is ridiculous. "Well that isn't what we are saying." That is where you are heading. To make sure people do not have to think, sit on their bottoms, and look like they desire, the epitome of health, without making a conscious effort. Not going to happen.

Will I invite you to the barbecue? Absolutely! Will I make everyone else eat tofurkey and drink nonalchoholic beer because you deem it best for you. No. I will agree with you on some things and disagree with you on others. And you will demonize my difference of opinion. I know. People like me are the reason for all the woes of this world. Btw when you are done telling me how much I suck lets get a smoothie, walk the strip, and play some xbox.

:drinker:

I'll go to that barbecue and I'll bring a side dish. As well as my playstation for some real gaming. :wink:
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    (I know some may be offended by this post since it is a very sensitive subject, but no offense or disrespect was intended)

There is an article in the Lexington Herald Leader about a local mom who, in my opinion, is hammering the McDonald’s corporation. She is comparing Ronald McDonald to Joe Camel (Camel Cigarettes) and again, in my opinion, making McDonald’s the scapegoat for overweight kids. Has anyone ever considered that maybe the reason we have so many overweight children is because we have so many overweight parents? McDonald’s existed when I was a kid. McDonald’s advertisement was very active when I was a kid. In the spur of the moment I can still rattle off the Big Mac song: “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun.” No, I did not Google the song and haven’t heard the commercial in 30 or 40 some years. A Big Mac has 550 calories (I did Google that.) And Newsflash: In grade school we had one or two kids that would be considered obese and I personally knew of maybe a couple of parents that were quite overweight. In Jr. High (now Middle School) and High School the numbers went up, but nothing compared to the obesity problem we see in America today.

Adults and children are not overweight because of a silly looking clown and super sizing meals. They are overweight because they consume too many calories and are too inactive in their lives. What I really think is going on here is the Blame Game, people not taking personal responsibility for themselves. Last year it was the Wall Street Movement who blamed big corporations for their plight in life and thus decided to go on a rampage to destroy private property. It’s the Democrat Party’s fault our country is in such turmoil, says the Republicans, or is it the other way around? Last night I overdid it on Domino’s Pizza and will have to either eat less today or exercise a little more to make up for it. Whose fault was it that I ate too much last night: Domino’s Pizza or the fact that they have delivery service? Or should I blame my wife since she ordered the pizza on a whim? I’m not stupid, no way am I going to blame her.

Maybe it’s time we started up an AA group, you know, and call it Adult’s Anonymous. And I’ll begin. “Hi, I’m Ernie and I’m an adult responsible for my own behavior and actions.”

THE BLAME GAME:

I can’t help losing my temper, nor control my appetite.
    I get so mad at mom and dad and blame them for my plight.
    I may not be successful, I’m a failure, yes, it’s true.
    But if society has taught me anything, it’s all because of you.

If only my spouse would listen, if only my spouse would change,
    If only the world would accommodate me, is that so terribly strange?
    If only this, if only that, if only you could see,
    I’m not selfish or self-centered, I just want you to please me.

So I went to see my psychiatrist, to see what she would say,
    To find the reason why so many folks just don’t see things my way.
    The secret, she said, is simple, why you’re always under assault.
    It has nothing to do with you, it’s true, it’s always someone else’s fault.

So now my friend, before I end, before I cease to complain,
    Before you start pointing the finger and think that I am vain.
    The answer is so obvious, and I think it’s time you knew,
    I now know why I’m so miserable, it’s all because of you

The naive believes everything, But the sensible person considers his/her steps.

I also remember McDonald, in fact the first one was built in San Bernadino, California where I lived close to. My parents took us their on special occasions, or because they wanted a burger. They were cheap and a big treat for kids.

OK..........................when I was a kid we played outside until dark, swam at the local high school all summer (we walked to it) we made forts in fields, climbed endless trees, etc.

Kids are not obese because of a happy meal they are fat because they are sitting in front of a screen all day, inside. Then mommy or daddy drives them to ballet, soccer or whatever where they play for maybe a couple of hours one day a week, so come on, this guy is right on target with his comments. If you want healthy kids open the door, push them out and tell them to entertain themselfs!
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options

You are absolutely correct...consumers have power too. They have the power to choose what and how they eat. If they continue to choose to buy junk the company will continue to make junk, as you continue to call it that. If people stop going and buying the high calorie foods , the larger sizes, the sodas Etc. then the companies will do survey's find out what people want and cater to them. In the end yes companies are out to make money and if they stop making money off food that people are wrongly blaming for their obesity problems then companies will change their business plans. Supply....Demand.

Now if you want to talk about people not being educated on proper eating their could also be an argument set forth that it is the individuals responsibility to do that as well. Nobody can say that the information is not readily available, the internet has taken care of that. Even food labels tell you that the calories and percentages are based on a 2000 calorie a day diet and some of the labels says that the 2000 calories is the recommended intake for a person.
  • kirili3
    Options

Look, these are large companies that sell cheap food. Many people at cheap food, many of those people don't know a lot about nutrition. The reason we know McDonald's is bad for us is not because they told us out of love, it's because consumer rights groups worked hard and people watched documentaries about what is in their food. Back when Supersize Me was made, they did not display their nutritional information, for example.

Actually... many people at McD's are. That's why you see so many changes, such as... salads... heck, mcd's out here were selling steamed broccoli for a while. Strange bright green supersize broccoli, but that's par for the course.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Round of applause. Well put. My kids get fast food on rare occasions as a treat. Usually on long road trips. As for the, it's cheap bit.... I don't get that. Fast food isn't that cheap. It costs us almost the same to feed our family of 4 at a fast food restaurant as it does for us to go to a reasonably priced sit down restaurant. Both cost way more than eating at home. I have frequently seen posts about how it's McDonald's fault there are so many obese people because salads are so much more expensive than burgers there. Realistically though, for $10 I can make a huge salad loaded with good veggies that will feed our family for several days at home. That same $10 will buy enough ground beef for only 2 or 3 meals and that's not including buns or toppings. Just saying.....
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • kirili3
    Options

You are absolutely correct...consumers have power too. They have the power to choose what and how they eat. If they continue to choose to buy junk the company will continue to make junk, as you continue to call it that. If people stop going and buying the high calorie foods , the larger sizes, the sodas Etc. then the companies will do survey's find out what people want and cater to them. In the end yes companies are out to make money and if they stop making money off food that people are wrongly blaming for their obesity problems then companies will change their business plans. Supply....Demand.

Now if you want to talk about people not being educated on proper eating their could also be an argument set forth that it is the individuals responsibility to do that as well. Nobody can say that the information is not readily available, the internet has taken care of that. Even food labels tell you that the calories and percentages are based on a 2000 calorie a day diet and some of the labels says that the 2000 calories is the recommended intake for a person.

That's a rather strange argument because the only reason why the demand would change is because of the education... but if everyone is personally responsible, not working together, then how would that information get out?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Actually... many people at McD's are. That's why you see so many changes, such as... salads... heck, mcd's out here were selling steamed broccoli for a while. Strange bright green supersize broccoli, but that's par for the course.

Ok. So then what's your point? They are meeting their consumers needs. Customers still want burgers and fries, and they provide that, too. What more do you want from them? A complete overhaul of the menu? Customers will need to demand it in mass and that's not happening at the moment.

Do you want more consumers to rise up and demand the change?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    meh.. got sucked in again.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Wat? Just so you know, that weight loss ticker that says I have lost 10lbs has included McDonald's (on rare occasion as I am not really a fan of McDonald's) and Taco Bell. Oh, and pizza. Guess what, I have a functioning brain and chose to eat Taco Bell for lunch. I also chose to pick menu items that fit in my daily caloric goal. Is it Taco Bell's fault that I have gained weight in the past year? If it is, then surely it is their fault that I've lost it.