Looking for training app for beginner walker

Options
2»

Replies

• Kathleen0916
    Kathleen0916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know but this thread just inspired me to get some workout of my own done. Thanks for the motivation all! Have a great day! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Far from a victim, just amazed that people have to sort through all your wasted space to get helpful advice.

I wanted an app that worked like the C25k that would help schedule time increases for me.

I did get help from quite a few people. Just not you. You were more worried about proper context in a post. Have a nice day. Me, I am going to take the advice I was given and download some apps and go try them out.

google calendar.

i don't use an app for my swimming, cycling, and running. i just write down how far i went, and how long it took me. and the next time i try and improve on one of them.

there is also a low-tech version of this app. it's made with this ancient material that my grandfather says is called paper... and you can put it on the refridgerator with this thing called a magnet... but i don't know how that works.

I usually just ignore the nasty and ignorant comments on this site but its just unbelievable how some of you waste space on this site. There are some really ignorant and offensive comments on this site. If you don't want to help and encourage people trying to improve themselves then why spend your time posting insults and being extremely offensive to random strangers. Just move along or don't go on these message boards. I don't understand why adults will spend their time on these sites just being rude to complete strangers for no reason. What do you get out of posting something like this to people you don't even know or haven't even tried to understand? Grow up. The original poster was just asking a question obviously not as experienced as some of you in exercising and fitness. You can probably use your experience and knowledge in a better way than just being demeaning and condescending.

I hope the original poster doesn't shy away from this site b/c for the most part people are very respectful, helpful and encouraging.

i hope she doesn't quit the site too. but it still doesn't change the fact that most people have no idea what she's asking for. she says she got her answers but I'm still not clear as to which poster provided them. is MapMyRun or MapMyFitness the beginning walker app? C25K? Pandora with the runner's playlist? inquiring minds would like to know for future threads.
    I don't know but this thread just inspired me to get some workout of my own done. Thanks for the motivation all! Have a great day! :)

have a great workout!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Go Team Slacker!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Far from a victim, just amazed that people have to sort through all your wasted space to get helpful advice.

I wanted an app that worked like the C25k that would help schedule time increases for me.

I did get help from quite a few people. Just not you. You were more worried about proper context in a post. Have a nice day. Me, I am going to take the advice I was given and download some apps and go try them out.

I think people were just kind of confused why a person who is an adult would need advice on how to walk.

*shrug*

I guess you should get some music you like and pick a period of time and route you like, and then walk briskly.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I found a pretty good how to video that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qRpIA3RKYc
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    there is also a low-tech version of this app. it's made with this ancient material that my grandfather says is called paper... and you can put it on the refridgerator with this thing called a magnet... but i don't know how that works.

I am actually going with this. I think tracking my progress and hanging it on the fridge is a great idea. Thanks for the thought.
  • Cathi888
    Options

I think people were just kind of confused why a person who is an adult would need advice on how to walk.

And for those that are sloooowwww to understand beginning walking for health, it is just like beginning lifting, or beginning running. You have to start somewhere and tips can be useful.

I just don't have the patience to spell it out for you. If you don't get it, just walk away. Oh, and don't forget to track it on a spreadsheet. I know I will be.
  • Cathi888
    Options
    I found a pretty good how to video that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qRpIA3RKYc

Great tip. I can use the beat of fun retro music to speed up or slow down. Thanks for the super fun advice.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have no advice - but I just want to say good for you for getting out there and getting yourself motivated. I love your positive attitude. good luck with your journey to better health
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I use the Runkeeper app on my phone. It uses GPS location service. You can use it for walking, running, biking, etc. It tells you how long you have walked, how far, your average time/pace per mile(s).

It also links to MFP. I am not sure on how accurate the calorie counts are with Runkeeper however. I use it mostly just for statistics for how long, how far and how fast I walk. It can also send you work out reminders on your phone too. Plus the lady on the app is so nice. lol ;)

The app is FREE too!

:flowerforyou: Good luck with your walking program.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper too; you can set a pace and gradually increase it if you want to build up your speed, or just distance for endurance; you can set goals on it as well and the audio cues are helpful too... if I am using the audio, whenever I drop below my pace for that day it tells me I'm behind my pace... which usually inspires me to speed up again... :laugh:
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options

And for those that are sloooowwww to understand beginning walking for health, it is just like beginning lifting, or beginning running. You have to start somewhere and tips can be useful.

I just don't have the patience to spell it out for you. If you don't get it, just walk away. Oh, and don't forget to track it on a spreadsheet. I know I will be.

Nice burn! That's the way to get into the spirit! :laugh:
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I apparently watch the walking dead too much,because the first thing that came to mind was newly turned zombies...
  • Cathi888
    Options
    I apparently watch the walking dead too much,because the first thing that came to mind was newly turned zombies...

I have to check out the zombie app. It sounds like lots of fun.