• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Me between sets. Deal. :happy:

Can-i-have-your-number-o.gif
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    ... I am always looking around and staring out of curiosity as to what others are doing and seeing if I would benefit from it. ...

^^^This... Yes, I have looked at different workout routines. At times I'll implement what I see others do into my routine because I can see where it would benefit me. I have seen others do unusual things with machines before. One was a gentleman I knew had recently had knee surgery... He used a fly machine as a torso rotator BECAUSE our torso rotation machine requires you to kneel to perform the exercise... I immediately knew what he was doing and why ... others may have just been curious...
  • angelhartsough
    Options
    I have to admit, I am guilty of this. It has less to do with your routine as it does my curiosity and boredom. Generally I am simply checking out what others are doing to see if it is something that may benefit me. Please don't take it personally. I hope this helps.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ever thought that maybe someone is trying to learn from you? I frequently observe other people in the gym between my sets, but it's mostly to get ideas and/or learn more. So you're doing a deadlift, is that how I do it? Are you doing it better than I am? Could I be doing it wrong? These are the types of things that go on in my head.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If i'm staring at you at the gym it's because i'm curious as to what you are doing and if I can add it into my workout. I have asked people what they are doing and they are receptive to show me and tell me the benefits. I don't stare to be judgemental, I stare to learn.

This^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you're putting your whole self into your workout, I can't see how you would know whether people were looking at you or not.

trust me.. sometimes it gets obnoxious... you can't help but know... but as I've said I feel like I can knock out an extra rep or two having a hardbody staring at me.

I'm also humble/vain enough to admit I've done this.

... so the guy brings his nose to his knee in a forward stretch, so I bring my chin to my shin, so he wraps his hands around his foot to deepen the stretch, so I go past the knee to bring my nose to the floor inside the leg, so he ....

- yeah, I've kinda been there, but in a stretchy kinda way!

guilt too- which is bad in dance class- gotta just focus on you and your journey LOL
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    When I go to the gym, the ladies always be starin.....It coo though because I know dey b mirin. Specially when I be doin them Barbell hip thrusts. I just gives em a wink and they be blushing.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    it's really creepy when you notice me using a 2 mirror bounce to get a good view haha
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for other people, but I tend to zone out or just kind of stare ahead. Sometimes it's too early to put my contacts in so I just wear my glasses to the gym and take them off while I'm actually working out. I can't see a damn thing so I probably appear to be staring at people. I'm sure some people *are* staring, but maybe some are just goobers like me:)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Everyone stares at everyone at the gym. They may not even be actually looking at you. They could be totally zoned out and thier eyes are just pointing in your direction.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are bored and zone out. Who cares
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - if someone is doing something unusual that I've never seen before, I'm probably gonna take a look...I think that's pretty much basic human nature.

- if people are using equipment in odd ways that I've never seen I'm probably gonna take a look...I think that's pretty much basic human nature. And if you're using the squat rack for some weird and unintended purpose I'll definitely be looking...and scowling at you for hogging the squat rack for some weird exercise.

- if someone is performing a movement with poor form I'm probably gonna look...if it's really bad I might even say something to try to help them out so they don't kill themselves

- If someone is doing something really cool I'm gonna look...I love watching people do a nice heavy snatch or a heavy clean and jerk...those are things of beauty.

- If someone is pushing or pulling something REALLY heavy, I'm gonna look...because that's awesome and I want to see it. Last week a guy at my gym did a 650 Lb deadlift...I watched...it was impressive.

- If someone is doing something really cool and unique and I think it might be of some benefit in my routine I look...and I'll ask them about it as well.

- sometimes I'm not even looking at you...I'm looking through you because I'm thinking and there's nothing but a bunch of people in the gym...so someone is going to have eyeballs on them more than likely when I'm zoning out.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    why is everybody staring if somebody does something a little differently? IThe program includes some excercises that might look odd (using equipment in an unusual way or with ridiculously small-looking weights), but why is MY workout their business?
    You're in a public place, so get over this, or ask for a routine you can do at home.

If you're doing something unusual, they probably find watching it more entertaining than staring at the walls, and possibly even educational.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Cable pull-through. Great exercise. You can try not to stare but its impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! Male or female doesnt matter.

707_2.jpg
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Cable pull-through. Great exercise. You can try not to stare but its impossible. IMPOSSIBLE! Male or female doesnt matter.

707_2.jpg

ROTFLMFAO - I don't know why this is soo funny but I couldn't stop laughing.

LOL +1 you just made my hour.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that the OP took a cheap shot at people texting or taking pictures of themselves at the gym. How does one simultaneously complain about people staring at them AND complain about people minding their own business?

I'm convinced that hypocrisy is contagious and is a secret pandemic that will eventually rise to the level at which it will destroy the entire human species' ability to use logic.

The end is near.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that the OP took a cheap shot at people texting or taking pictures of themselves at the gym. How does one simultaneously complain about people staring at them AND complain about people minding their own business?

I'm convinced that hypocrisy is contagious and is a secret pandemic that will eventually rise to the level at which it will destroy the entire human species' ability to use logic.

The end is near.

You're so paranoid....but I'm right there with ya...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love watching people, if they didn't want to be watched there, bouncy on that stairmaster, they wouldn't be there.

up and down... up and down...

What, I know it's a guy, shut up. MESMERIZED.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm usually thinking:"yo, bro, I think 15 sets on the bench press is enough".

Actually, it's my job to stare at people in a gym, so when I am someplace other than work I sometimes find myself doing it without realizing it.

"No, honey, I wasn't looking at that girl's butt--I was evaluating her deadlift form".
    My wife gives me crap when I say that, but ironically, in most cases it's true.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    So i go to planet fitness (yeah yeah i know what some of you think), and if im doing the 30 Minute Circuit i'll do punches or kicks instead of the steps. Also in the stretching room i practice katas. People stare all the time. It's just because people are always going to be interested in something that's different or strange to them. Honestly if i notice someone watching me that just makes me wanna work it harder. :)