What do you guys do when you feel like giving up?

Options

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I always re-evaluate my goals. Cut the crap, keep doing what I know makes the most difference. When I lose motivation, I restock my fridge with healthy foods, I buy new clothes in a few sizes too small and I also start a different work out.
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I read the success stories ALOT. Plus I love how I look and feel:wink: in my clothes with just 8 pds down. Not to mention I enjoy the attention when my friends and family say "You look great, losing weight?". :- )
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and think about how I feel as I am, and how I used to feel.
    I think about the people that I set an example for - my kids, my family, and my friends...

I look to my beast, MY inspiration, and my exercise conscience :). He knows me pretty well and has a good sense as to when I should push harder, and when I may need to take a bit of a break. We talk and cheer each other on.

I'd recommend finding a workout partner... someone who will kick you in the butt when you need it, and someone who will know you enough to honestly say... take a day off - you're pushing too hard. It's life changing!

I am worth the continued effort.
    My kids are worth my continued effort.
    And if I can somehow inspire others in the process, THEY'RE worth it too!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Been there a lot more than I care to mention. Even last week I had a little "fall off the wagon"... But I realized that I am so much happier (even with the bad days).. than I ever was before my weight loss. And I keep trudging along. IT ISNT EASY. If it was everyone would be super fit.

JUst keep at it, and realize one speed bump doesnt have to mess up everything you are working for.
  • rubbie78
    rubbie78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I come and read Success Stories, I go for a walk/bike/gym,...... and when it really got tough once (I kept gaining the weight back) I contacted my support person. I cried hard once when I gained over half the weight loss back. That is the tough moment I hold onto and remind myself I got thru it and burned that weight back off.
  • alexanderzamani
    alexanderzamani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Could I just ask, if your diet is overly restrictive? what diet do you follow? Because if you just follow the recommendations on the site, it shouldn't really be to tough on your body. What I mean you shouldn't feel like you're starving yourself. In that senario.

Motivation is not really required in that senario because you are not suffering. I sometimes get frustrated when my weight loss gets slower. but for me I can just keep following the diet and maintaining a 500cal deficit even if I'm not at all motivated because it's not hard to do or really very unpleasant. I try to just distract myself and focus on other things in my life.

If it's really bad sometimes you've just gotta force yourself through it, you'll feel better after you've had a good day or week after you've pushed yourself through that hump, knowing that you ave control over your emotions, worked hard and achieved something considerable.

another thing is just having a collection of motivational videos to keep you going through it. I feel that weight loss is less of a explosive, pump yourself up kinda thing more of an attrition game. it's odd to pump yourself up then just sit down and go about your daily activities.
  • TLContheGulfCoast
    TLContheGulfCoast Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    check out bendoeslife.... I always get a boost from others stories :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • maryowens1
    maryowens1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can always take a break from tracking your calories. Take a few days off, even a week! This is something you are doing for you, it is not a cult :)

If you are sick of what you're eating, try making some new recipes. If you are sick of your exercise routine, try some new ways to exercise. I just bought a Groupon for Zumba classes because I've never tried it and I figured it might be fun. If there's a sport you haven't tried before, why not give it a shot?

Many of us are trying to lose some weight, but for me I also want to feel good in my skin and have more stamina. Exercise should be fun. Even though it is cold and drizzly this week where I live, better weather is around the corner, and that means outdoor tennis and swimming, woot! Find something to do that feels like playing and not drudgery. Good luck, and hope you enjoy yourself.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Failure is only an opportunity to do it again, only this time with more wisdom.

I might be much older than you which gives me the advantage of remembering so many great things I have accomplished in my past. This is evidence to me to know that I won't give up. I can have a bad day, think negative thoughts, eat too much, complain and be disgusted in myself, but I always know that I can and will accomplish what I set out to do. If you don't have a bunch of awesome accomplishments, start collecting today!

On a more practical note: I just made sure I was at or under TDEE averaged over the week when I was losing. So if I binged, or didn't exercise, it was just fine. I also fitted treats in like wine and chocolate. There's really not much you can do to "fail" if you stick to these two things.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have been on a ****ward spiral......BUT, last summer was banging for me! I'm starting to feel it again this summer, but I choose a strenuous hike I want to conquer without feeling like passing out....we live right next to Glacier National Park, so I have many options....and I just do everything I can to make my body stronger. Also, I do a **** ton of swimming in the summer, so a 'workout' really isn't something I have to force myself to do. Once I start seriously working out, I always think to myself, "Why would I screw this up now???"
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering what you do when you feel like giving up and no caring anymore. I have been feeling discouraged lately....not wanting to count calories anymore or go to the gym..

I read this question and immediately thought how weird it sounded to me. Giving up? Giving up, what? Living? Then I realized that she must have been talking about 'dieting'. I then realized that after almost 2 yrs on my 'diet' it has become a permanent lifestyle.

The pounds are trickling off extremely slowly now, and I wonder sometimes if this is as much weight as I am going to lose, and if I am now in maintenance. And that gets frustrating sometimes. But would I ever consider going back to eating 1800 cals a day and gain back the 50+ pounds I fought so hard to lose?? HEEEELLLLLL NO!!!

If I never lose another pound, I will continue to make good choices (most of the time) and will continue this quest til the end. Whatever that may be.

So when I get discouraged at the weight not coming off like I want it to, then I only have to look back at where I was 2 years ago, and know that I never want to go back there again.
  • angielovemesomeme
    angielovemesomeme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you felt...I feel this way every weekend I when I go out with my sisters
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I remind myself that I haven't been under 280 pounds in 15 years and that I've had multiple health problems that would sort themselves out with a healthier lifestyle.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Just keep going.
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I read through the success stories, or the motivation threads etc... Work is slow sometimes (now) and there is always a ton a unhealthy food brought in... so I come here instead of hanging out in the kitchen area with everyone else... lol
  • msdutter
    msdutter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am an off and off "dieter," or MFP'er. I've been here many times. I've lost the same 40 pounds and have found a way to gain it all back.

I feel ~different this time. I feel like I want to do these things, not that I have to. I don't feel pressured to make these choices. I want to. I think actually wanting to has started to help me feel better and more comfortable about keeping going.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Look how far you came.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1. I look up old pics of myself and how big I was. Sometimes I have to remember what I was like to be motivated .
    2. I remember who is watching me. I have some friends and family that are looking to me. They have life or death situations. Not saying my weight loss will help but it wong help for me to quit.
    3. I go to stores and try on clothes I have never been able to wear before.
    4. I dance or do some other exercise I enjoy.
    5. I don't have cheat days. I fit stuff in my macros . If Im having an mickyd ice crean cone kind of a day, I fit it in . That helps me remember why I love myfitnesspal.
    6. I also remeber my rock bottom. When my boobs were too big for lane bryant and i spent 200 dollars on jeans at lane bryant bc that's the only store I fit.
    8. I read the blogs and success stories on here. These are great ppl!!
    9. I focus my energy on something else.
    10. Last but not least, its a process and this isn't a race. Get there when you do. Just get there!!!
    Well wishes!!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering what you do when you feel like giving up and no caring anymore. I have been feeling discouraged lately....not wanting to count calories anymore or go to the gym..

I look at pictures of old me and I really don't want to go back there again!
  • bigboar
    bigboar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When it happens to me I remind myself why I started in the first place...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!