Any way around eating exercise calories back?!?!

Options

Replies

• nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes I walk 12.5-13 miles in the weekend. Then occasionally I hike 11 miles
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Should I do more weights in addition to the 30 day shred?
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Agree - Calculate your TDEE. Manually adjust your calories on MFP, tracking for a few weeks and then manipulate as necessary.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think although you are walking really far that the estimated calories burned are still really high. I was training for a marathon in the winter and it would take me 2 hours or running to burn 1300 calories. do you use an HRM?
  • JeniSue28
    JeniSue28 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if I am hungry. If I'm not hungry I don't eat them back. Also, if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water first. Sometimes the body mistakes hunger for thirst.
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are my weight and height, give or take an inch or two. MFP has me at 1200 calories, and I don't eat back all my exercise calories. If I go over the 1200 calories per day that MFP has me on it is under 200 calories. I just started doing this and I am losing each week, grant it is not a lot, but i am losing. Good Luck, i know eveyone loses differently and what works for me may not work for you. Hope I helped.

If I put sedentary then it recommends 1200. I was thinking of trying that for a while. I am a service working in a school so i do sit some but I walk a bit too. I went with lightly active since I do not site for hours once I'm home haha. Maybe the 1200 would help

I am a budget analyst, so i have a desk job, but i do alot of cardo, but i use the 1200 sedentary just becuase i found it is now with me not eating my exercise calories i am losing weight - just a thought
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've lost well always eating mine back in full but I use a FitBit One so can be pretty sure that my daily calorie goal is as accurate as it can be. Most people don't realise that sedentary here covers your first 2 miles or so each day before you'd get any adjustment for exercise so some may double count if they are logging all walking as exercise. I'd recommend FitBit to anyone as it gives you a much better idea of your calorie requirements. Also, weigh your food rather than estimating or measuring with cups etc. Makes a big difference.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would 100% recommend the suggestion of finding out your BMR & TDEE and taking it from there rather than what seems to be MFPs default setting of 1200. I started out on MFP with the 1200 thing and I lost nothing, after looking into things a bit and finding out my BMR & TDEE I reset my daily calorie goal to 1520 and I'm now seeing steady losses.

I also agree with WaterBunny about investing in a Fitbit.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    I think although you are walking really far that the estimated calories burned are still really high. I was training for a marathon in the winter and it would take me 2 hours or running to burn 1300 calories. do you use an HRM?

No I go by the calories that mfp gave me. That's why I only ate half back. To account for the over calculation. I have a watch that tells you your heart rate when u put ur finger on it. But that's about it.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    @ OP: Really? 900 cals on WW? NO way!!! I've lost 40 lbs 6 years ago following that program and I still do, and I always ate the WP ( that you are suppose/encourage to) + my AP (optional) best part I've been maintaining for 6 years... If fruits/veggies are 0 pts + GHG's (protein, dairy, oil, etc, etc) how can you keep it under 1,000? I track my cals also and consume more like 1,600 + or -exercise included! WW is NOT a diet ;)
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    @ OP: Really? 900 cals on WW? NO way!!! I've lost 40 lbs 6 years ago following that program and I still do, and I always ate the WP ( that you are suppose/encourage to) + my AP (optional) best part I've been maintaining for 6 years... If fruits/veggies are 0 pts + GHG's (protein, dairy, oil, etc, etc) how can you keep it under 1,000? I track my cals also and consume more like 1,600 + or -exercise included! WW is NOT a diet ;)

Weight watchers gave me 21 lbs to start (old plan) and eventually got me down to 19. When tracking them side by side with mfp a few months ago I'd be at my 19 points but mfp would only show 950 calories-1000
  • bfanny
    Options
    Yeah 21/19 + 35 WP + AP back then...
  • bfanny
    Options
    But 900 cals? I don't think so...that would not be healthy, not then not now :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You're probably netting less than half of your estimated walking burns.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

.30 x your weight x miles .... so 13 miles comes out to about 540 calories burned.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    You're probably netting less than half of your estimated walking burns.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

.30 x your weight x miles .... so 13 miles comes out to about 540 calories burned.

Thanks for the equations. I trust myself more than calculators and apps so I like equations haha. That will be very helpful
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    So if I up it to 1500 I will be eating closer to the right amount?
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah 21/19 + 35 WP + AP back then...

The way I remember WW (old plan).....
    20pts at around 50 cal a point (roughly). +5 wp (35 divided by 7 is 5 per day average), most fruit was 1pt, veggies free, so add 50 cal for veggies
    So 1000cal daily + 250 in WP +50cal in free veggies +AP (which were half what you burned)

MFP- 1620cal (my current number)+ workout calories

Let say a I have a day where I burn 300 cal. WW gives me roughly 1450cal, MFP gives me 1920. Almost a 500 calorie difference!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First of all, STOP using MFP to calculate your workouts. How much a workout burn is varies greatly from person to person. You need to invest in a heart rate monitor or at the vary least use a fitness calculator that takes into account your current weight and other information.

Once you are accurately recording your workout burns, then you can decide how many calories you should be eating.

I eat very few, if any of my workout calories back. It appears to be working well for my body. Every body is different but accurate information is key to success.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am one of the tiny ones.... It's funny - I did all the TDEE stuff etc.... and you know what the result was? 1200 calories.... :grumble:
    You know what maintenance is? 1260 calories..... :grumble: You know what I am? HUNGRY!!!! Hahahahahahaha! You have to just laugh sometimes! All the best to all of us!!!! We are all trying our best!

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • izzy0113
    izzy0113 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should eat 1220 calories per day to lose approximately 2lbs / week.

BMR = 1583

TDEE = 1899

I am SO confused now??? Do I consume 1220 calories daily? Or between BMR and TDEE? (i.e. something like 1600 calories?)

I have a desk job and put in sedentary for activity level. As much as I tell myself I'm going to walk 3x / week it just doesnt' happen.