Really good article, thanks for posting this :smile:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    #4 is BS but otherwise a good article
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's been quite a few years since I was a regular gym goer but when I did used to go working with weights was by far my preference over cardio. Apart from walking, swimming & tennis (when I can find someone to play it with) I'm not a big cardio fan.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    The fitness model is making one of 2 mistakes: using iron plates for an oly lift, or using a snatch grip for a deadlift.

As other posters have noted this article is terribly written. On top of that many of the "mistakes" are only mistakes if your goal is to have a body that is aestheticly pleasing to TC; whomever he may be.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    "It's virtually impossible – no matter what you eat – to gain any fat in the post-workout period, which is roughly defined as the hour-long timeframe after you finish lifting weights. "

Is THIS part true?

Came here to ask the exact same thing.

Well, technically the way I was going to phrase it was: "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Twenty years ago, I had an aerobics teacher tell me the you can eat anything after working out and I did not believe him. I would love to see some responses to that but I do not believe it.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Some will like this, some won't. It is what it is

http://www.t-nation.com/training/10-mistakes-women-make-in-the-gym

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    "It's virtually impossible – no matter what you eat – to gain any fat in the post-workout period, which is roughly defined as the hour-long timeframe after you finish lifting weights. "

Exactly how long is this magical post-workout period in which I can stuff my face with cheeseburgers with abandon?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Exactly how long is this magical post-workout period in which I can stuff my face with cheeseburgers with abandon?

One hour. And then your tummy turns into a pumpkin.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just figured out what it means. It means you can stuff your face and you won't gain any fat during that hour. You will just gain it later.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Someone esle used T nation which is frown upon in MFP formus. Good stuff T nation is my weight loss bible.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just figured out what it means. It means you can stuff your face and you won't gain any fat during that hour. You will just gain it later.

Right. I mean, obviously I'm not completely comprehending the argument, but you might end up with a touch more glycogen if you eat within the post workout hour.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. I've just recently gotten seriously back into strength training. This article makes me think I'm doing things right this time. Thanks for sharing!
  • morekettlebell
    Options
    "but you're ultimately going to have to make an ugly she-wolverine face on the last few highly-productive "money" reps where you coerce muscle into growing. No ugly face, no curvy muscle. No ugly face, no increased strength. Tank your outdated views of femininity. Screw how it looks or what anyone thinks."

Nice article, the quote above totally cracked me up.....so accurate for me. I get to ugly face stage and decide it's time to slow down instead of giving it all I've got.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    #2 Fear of Making Ugly Faces

My teenage kids (who are my workout buddies) always laugh at the strange faces I make as I'm lifting. Good to know I'm doing it right.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I love it! The only thing I don't agree on is the oblique and no weights thing. I do side bends with weights and many other moves, and my waist is 26 inches. I've used some on the heavier side as well, although not very often. I do stick to the lighter weights for that part.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back later when I have more time to comment. But I will say that I almost shut down completely as soon as the article referenced "Skinny Fat". This idiotic phrase is one of my pet peeves! And I find it very difficult to take anyone seriously who uses it.
    im not a huge fan of the term either considering is a pretty big oxymoron, but it really is the best way to describe someone who has alot of fat and little muscle

"Skinny Fat" suggests that someone who chooses to focus on Cardio, which is ok btw, is somehow less than acceptable than those who choose to lift.

Different people have different plans--whatever works for them, but they don't needed to be labeled. No one calls lifters "buff-fat" if they have some extra weight on them.

I agree with the above posters. I also shut down when I saw the skinny-fat word; I don't like it either. It seems that in the last couple of years "fat-acceptance and Skinny fat" are the words du jour, and both are being used in a derogatory way.

The article assumes that everybody has the same goals, and worse, that they should all have the same goal. Honestly, and like another MFP member posted a while back, we spend more time with clothes on than naked so to assume that every woman just exercises to look good in a bikini is too presumptuous and shallow.

I am all for strength training but sometimes we take things to the extreme. Carry on
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bump to come back later when I have more time to comment. But I will say that I almost shut down completely as soon as the article referenced "Skinny Fat". This idiotic phrase is one of my pet peeves! And I find it very difficult to take anyone seriously who uses it.
    im not a huge fan of the term either considering is a pretty big oxymoron, but it really is the best way to describe someone who has alot of fat and little muscle

"Skinny Fat" suggests that someone who chooses to focus on Cardio, which is ok btw, is somehow less than acceptable than those who choose to lift.

Different people have different plans--whatever works for them, but they don't needed to be labeled. No one calls lifters "buff-fat" if they have some extra weight on them.

I agree with the above posters. I also shut down when I saw the skinny-fat word; I don't like it either. It seems that in the last couple of years "fat-acceptance and Skinny fat" are the words du jour, and both are being used in a derogatory way.

The article assumes that everybody has the same goals, and worse, that they should all have the same goal. Honestly, and like another MFP member posted a while back, we spend more time with clothes on than naked so to assume that every woman just exercises to look good in a bikini is too presumptuous and shallow.

I am all for strength training but sometimes we take things to the extreme. Carry on

Skinny fat means as you lose weight you are losing muscle which when you look in the mirror you will see a smaller you but still not look fit and still look fat in places you want to lose fat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    The nutrition stuff is dumb but the rest of it is ok.

Re trx stuff: try doing some of these on a trx and see if they are a "girls" exercise :laugh:
    http://youtu.be/ACH-YzUZJf4
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

Around 24hours. The writer is still trying to sell overpriced T-Nation supps to dumb people who think they need to consume all of their nutrients within 59m and 59s.