Alcohol

Options

Replies

• steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I also get puffy after having a few drinks,just like another poster mentioned.

I have 1-2 margarita's on Friday date night with my husband. I do adjust my food intake that day to ensure the drinks fits my macro's.

When I was in weightloss mode , I did not drink any alcohol. I reached goal in 6 months and my BF was at 23%. My ultimate goal is to be a 20%BF.

My BF had slowly creeped up to 26%, since I added the alcohol back . I have been thinking about cutting the alcohol out again and increase my strength training . I hope this helps with lowering my BF!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Fit the drinks into your calories limit for the day or week.

Pretty much.
  • Heza76
    Heza76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Echoing what most have said here... I cut alcohol for 6 weeks at the start of my weight-loss plan. It didn't do much to move the scale. Then I joined MFP and maintained a food/drink calorie deficit, and weight came off regardless of having some limited amounts of alcohol. If I do drink, it *can* lead to poor choices and also lead to not caring as much about consoming extra calories like bread or tortilla chips on the table. So, I try to limit my intake to one-to-two glasses, otherwise it's a slippery slope. If I have more than 2 drinks, I am fuzzier and a somewhat tired for the following day, and that hampers my overall workout & food efforts. Sometimes it's just not worth it, but if you plan your intake accordingly you're fine. Good luck!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Have you had to cut back or completely quit drinking before seeing results in your weight loss attempts? I love wine and beer, but I feel like I should completely stop drinking for a while. I'd like to know what you did that helped you cut back or completely quit drinking.

As long as you count the calories in your daily caloric count and maintain, or run a deficit - no problem. I've dropped a bit over 20 pounds since January 6th (11% of my body weight) and pretty much hit the wine or beer every night along the way.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I believe that the advice on MFP is "Don't drink your calories".

Alcoholics often get a majority of their calories from alcohol and it has devastating effects on their health. There is no nutritional value in alcohol (other than carbohydrate calories) and frankly, most people cannot afford the empty calories while on a calorie deficit (especially women who already have reduced calorie limits over men). There are a few nutrients in beer and wine but distilled spirits are basically just a "pure poison" that the liver must process.

In addition, the liver is impaired in fat burning for up to 24 hours by the processing of alcohol. One of my MFP pals drinks every day (it looks like mostly vodka) and in analyzing the rest of her food diary, I see a LOT of nutritional deficits. I hope she retains her health but I fear she will not.

Alcohol isn't a carbohydrate. It's its own macro nutrient. If a person gets all of their daily micro nutrient needs met through the foods they eat, and have some additional exercise calories left at the end of the day, there is not problem with having a drink or two.

Up to 24 hours? I can't imagine this would apply to anyone other than alcoholics that consume the majority of their calories through alcohol. One or two drinks (150-300 alcohol calories) will be metabolized within hours, however long it takes for the body to use 150-300 calories and will not have a significant impact on weight loss.

It is generally counted as a carbohydrate because it has calories and it is not a fat or a protein. I recognize that it is in a category all by itself but is is handled in a way that is similar to the handling of fructose in the body.

from Fitday.com "...[alcohol impairs fat burning.] Alcohol can affect the amount that your body can burn. A study found that consuming 24 g of alcohol [the amount represented by a glass and a half of wine] could decrease your body's whole body lipid oxidation [i.e. the] ability to burn fat, by a staggering 73 percent. When alcohol passes [through] the liver, it produces a by-product called acetate, which inhibits the fat burning capabilities of the body. This means that if you drink alcohol constantly, the fat burning processes in your body take a back seat. This results in more fat stored in your body, which can significantly increase your weight.

Increases Appetite

Another study has proved that alcohol consumption results in increase of appetite more than any other type of drink. Not only do meals appear tastier and more appetizing when there is a bottle of beer to pair with it, people also get hungry more after drinking alcohol. People who are seriously trying to lose those extra pounds should try their best to avoid beer and other alcoholic drinks so as not to perk up their appetites.

Decreases Testosterone

Drinking alcohol can decrease the production of testosterone and increase that of cortisone, a muscle-destroying hormone. Aside from the fact that decrease in testosterone can affect a male's sexual drive, it can also have an effect on his weight, especially if he is trying to build and tone his muscles. To successfully build muscles and burn fat, it is imperative to up one's testosterone levels and get rid of cortisol. More on that, drinking alcohol also affects muscle distribution. In simpler terms, more fat goes around the waist and there is less overall muscle mass in the body.
    Reduces Vitamin and Mineral Absorption

Another harmful effect of alcohol that has something to do with weight is the decrease in vitamin and mineral absorption. This happens because, when you consume too much alcohol, the liver becomes preoccupied in turning alcohol into acetate. Therefore, any vitamins and minerals that you take in just goes straight to the detoxification process. In other words, alcohol interferes with the absorption of most nutrients. Even if you eat a healthy meal right after drinking alcohol, it won't be as [beneficial].

Causes Dehydration

Since alcohol is a diuretic, which can elevate rate of urination, it can cause dehydration. Water is very important not only to muscle building, but also to general health. It can impair the progress of your muscle building program and at the same time, affect your overall well-being.

Next time you grab a bottle of beer or a glass of wine, think about its repercussions to your health and your weight loss regimen."

And yet I lost 40 lbs while regularly consuming alcohol. I guess I'm a special snowflake.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I believe that the advice on MFP is "Don't drink your calories".

Alcoholics often get a majority of their calories from alcohol and it has devastating effects on their health. There is no nutritional value in alcohol (other than carbohydrate calories) and frankly, most people cannot afford the empty calories while on a calorie deficit (especially women who already have reduced calorie limits over men). There are a few nutrients in beer and wine but distilled spirits are basically just a "pure poison" that the liver must process.

In addition, the liver is impaired in fat burning for up to 24 hours by the processing of alcohol. One of my MFP pals drinks every day (it looks like mostly vodka) and in analyzing the rest of her food diary, I see a LOT of nutritional deficits. I hope she retains her health but I fear she will not.

Alcohol isn't a carbohydrate. It's its own macro nutrient. If a person gets all of their daily micro nutrient needs met through the foods they eat, and have some additional exercise calories left at the end of the day, there is not problem with having a drink or two.

Up to 24 hours? I can't imagine this would apply to anyone other than alcoholics that consume the majority of their calories through alcohol. One or two drinks (150-300 alcohol calories) will be metabolized within hours, however long it takes for the body to use 150-300 calories and will not have a significant impact on weight loss.

It is generally counted as a carbohydrate because it has calories and it is not a fat or a protein. I recognize that it is in a category all by itself but is is handled in a way that is similar to the handling of fructose in the body.

from Fitday.com "...[alcohol impairs fat burning.] Alcohol can affect the amount that your body can burn. A study found that consuming 24 g of alcohol [the amount represented by a glass and a half of wine] could decrease your body's whole body lipid oxidation [i.e. the] ability to burn fat, by a staggering 73 percent. When alcohol passes [through] the liver, it produces a by-product called acetate, which inhibits the fat burning capabilities of the body. This means that if you drink alcohol constantly, the fat burning processes in your body take a back seat. This results in more fat stored in your body, which can significantly increase your weight.

Increases Appetite

Another study has proved that alcohol consumption results in increase of appetite more than any other type of drink. Not only do meals appear tastier and more appetizing when there is a bottle of beer to pair with it, people also get hungry more after drinking alcohol. People who are seriously trying to lose those extra pounds should try their best to avoid beer and other alcoholic drinks so as not to perk up their appetites.

Decreases Testosterone

Drinking alcohol can decrease the production of testosterone and increase that of cortisone, a muscle-destroying hormone. Aside from the fact that decrease in testosterone can affect a male's sexual drive, it can also have an effect on his weight, especially if he is trying to build and tone his muscles. To successfully build muscles and burn fat, it is imperative to up one's testosterone levels and get rid of cortisol. More on that, drinking alcohol also affects muscle distribution. In simpler terms, more fat goes around the waist and there is less overall muscle mass in the body.
    Reduces Vitamin and Mineral Absorption

Another harmful effect of alcohol that has something to do with weight is the decrease in vitamin and mineral absorption. This happens because, when you consume too much alcohol, the liver becomes preoccupied in turning alcohol into acetate. Therefore, any vitamins and minerals that you take in just goes straight to the detoxification process. In other words, alcohol interferes with the absorption of most nutrients. Even if you eat a healthy meal right after drinking alcohol, it won't be as [beneficial].

Causes Dehydration

Since alcohol is a diuretic, which can elevate rate of urination, it can cause dehydration. Water is very important not only to muscle building, but also to general health. It can impair the progress of your muscle building program and at the same time, affect your overall well-being.

Next time you grab a bottle of beer or a glass of wine, think about its repercussions to your health and your weight loss regimen."

And yet I lost 40 lbs while regularly consuming alcohol. I guess I'm a special snowflake.

Alcoholics often get very skinny (although, often they are "skinny fat" with fatty livers). The point is, that alcohol is an impediment to weight loss--but if you cut your calories enough, you will lose weight anyway. If weight loss were the only criteria, then it would appear not to matter--however, maintaining one's health while eating at a deficit can be a much trickier proposition.
  • HFreymuth
    HFreymuth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my calorie budget but don't drink wine on days I don't go to the gym.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The calories in alcohol are not from carbohydrates. Alcohol itself has a caloric value and a rather high one at that of about 7 calories per gram (in comparison protein is 4 cal per gram, carbs 4 cal per gram and fat 9 cal per gram). What that means is that pound for pound the alcohol actually has more calories than whatever sugar is added to flavor the drink.

If you were to drink absolutely pure ethanol it is actually very caloric, not that far off from just drinking straight up olive oil.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't normally drink that often anyway but when I do it is normally a big one :tongue: Typically on those days I "try" to implement the lean gains strategy of high protein, low C&F. It normally works for most of the day haha. Also making sure I'm active while drinking.

I have now cut it out completely as
    A: macros are lower and I prefer food
    B: when I drink, it makes me more hungry and more likely to over consume

(now prepping for BB comp so need to be more strict)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    OP alcohol has calories, just figure out how many calories the alcohol you consume has and fit it into your calorie goal. If you cannot fit it into your calorie goal while still remaining satisfied and getting enough micronutrients then you have an answer to your question.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Haha I haven't been out in years and im going out tomorrow night, so amped lol wooop I am just going to do 60 mins intense cardio during the day, so I wont have to worry so much about ohh I can only have 1 drink bahaha
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Psshhh wine and beer don't have calories... It's like water :drinker: lol
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    Ok am I the only one who doesn't count drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) in their calorie count? It'd just be too much work!! I drink soy milk and alcoholic drinks all the time (weird mix, I know haha) plus the occasional sweet tea, lemonade, or ginger ale. Idk why, I've just never felt the need to count those. Oh well :P
  • marisarinde
    marisarinde Posts: 54
    Options
    Psshhh wine and beer don't have calories... It's like water :drinker: lol

Lol I'm with ya!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I had to cut back. Now I work it into my calories for the day. Sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesn't.
    I do notice a difference when I haven't drank for awhile around retaining water. Other than that, I don't think it matters as long as you remain at a defict.

Sometimes that extra 20 minutes is so I can drink! :drinker:

^^^ this
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    Ok am I the only one who doesn't count drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) in their calorie count? It'd just be too much work!! I drink soy milk and alcoholic drinks all the time (weird mix, I know haha) plus the occasional sweet tea, lemonade, or ginger ale. Idk why, I've just never felt the need to count those. Oh well :P

I am a liquid cheat! I don't usually count anything I drink lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

grossly inaccurate. But if you have the same each day then you could work it out.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Let me guess, when you diet you aim to eat 1200 calories? I've seen people on here before who say they eat 1200 calories but when asked it turns out there is a bunch of things they just don't count for whatever reason. All the things you just listed all have a lot of calories and they definitely count towards your caloric total. If you are very regular in your consumption and have a very low calorie goal and don't count them then the end result could be healthy weight loss but you are not really tracking everything.

Most of the things you listed would have about 200 calories in a glass.
  • dressthatfits
    Options
    I cut it our completely but, ate my calories instead of drinking them. Usually have something sweet in the evening so I can't have alcohol as well and it wasn't that tough to take it out of the diet. I now only drink for special occasions, maybe once a month. Try and fit in whatever is most important to you, if it's booze then exercise a bit more that day.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight, I decreased the amount I drank quite a bit. I think I gained a lot of the 11 lbs I lost, in the first place, by having too much wine! I would still have a small glass of wine once or twice a week and half a bottle of beer once or twice a week, but only on days when I had exercised enough to be able to eat enough along with it and still be under my goal. Or, if it put me over my calorie goal, I'd make up for the the next day.

I don't think this hindered my progress at all. If you want it enough, you can fit it in.