I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yay! It's been nearly 2 years since I've been in the gym (hospital, time off work, getting back together, etc...) but I used to use the free weights section. The trouble is that i'm not 100% clear on how to fix your own barbell. I used some of the pre-made ones to do benches and it was OK. My form was probably **** but then, I was still improving. I didn't mind it too much, but then, I went early in the morning, so it was quieter.

There doesn't appear to be a proper squat rack in my gym. :I I think maybe there's a separate room which I don't know about, lol.

For me the priority is to get a bit of fitness back before I go nuts doing that. I hate that the squat is such a core activity because I'm terrible at it. I couldn't get lower than parallel. My hamstrings are crazy tight, it's gonna take time to get them a bit better...
    Great starting point for me as far as free weights. My husband keeps telling me I should do them because they use stabilizing muscles that don't come into play as much (if at all) on the machines. But he's tried to teach me proper technique, and there are so many tiny little nuances to think about constantly that it makes it more of a mental workout than a physical one, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for when I go to the gym. What I want is something I can do without having to worry about a dozen different points of technique, any one of which can injure me if I get it wrong. Can someone recommend some easy "mindless" things to do in the weight room?

I can't because nothing is mindless in my life. If you want to get results, in anything that you do, you need to concentrate and do things right. In my opinion mindless means lazy, sorry but you asked.

Do you eat mindless and expect to lose weight?

Isn't it just simpler to say that you need to be mindful during any lift, and leave it at that? :/
    [/quote

Simpler? yes, the right answer? NO. Doing something mindless at the gym is looking for trouble, besides not getting results. The poster asked a question and I gave her my answer. Carry on.
  • OccamsDisposableRazor
    OccamsDisposableRazor Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too was scared of the free weights section of the gym, but I knew they were more efficient than the machines. I spent a few weeks seeing other women lifting free weights from the safety of my weight machine, so I finally started doing my research on what exercises to do for which muscles, proper technique, etc. (Thank GOODNESS for bodybuilding.com!). Despite my research, I was so scared to take that first step into that section. I had some tiny dumbbells at home, and with the directions in front of me I'd practice each exercise just so I could remember the moves and the correct form. Like I was practicing for some damn play, lol. The first day into the free weight section was nerve wrecking, lol, and I only did 1 or 2 of the exercises I was absolutely comfortable with before retreating back to the safety of the machines. (I feel so silly saying this all now, but I really was so scared at the time!). Anyway, each time, I'd add another exercies to my free weight routine and slowly getting comfortable with each exercise and the "scary" environment.

I didn't take long for me to realize that the fear was all completely in my head. Nobody was judging me. Nobody was judging me. Nobody was judging me. (Yes, it's important enough to bear repeating.) And the best part of it? I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FREE WEIGHTS NOW. I love the feeling of confidence I have for conquering my fear of the free weights section. I love how strong I feel during and after - much more so than I ever did from the weight machines. I’m a woman. Phenomenally.
  • citalk2much
    citalk2much Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    great post thank you!!!
  • IvanPerry
    IvanPerry Posts: 12
    Options
    Free Weights???
    Is that like the opposite of Expensive Weights?
    :huh:
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Doing my first time ever in free weights tomorrow - wish me luck!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Free Weights???
    Is that like the opposite of Expensive Weights?
    :huh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really hope you are being funny
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Great post.

Doing my first time ever in free weights tomorrow - wish me luck!

Good luck girl.
    Make it count.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Great starting point for me as far as free weights. My husband keeps telling me I should do them because they use stabilizing muscles that don't come into play as much (if at all) on the machines. But he's tried to teach me proper technique, and there are so many tiny little nuances to think about constantly that it makes it more of a mental workout than a physical one, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for when I go to the gym. What I want is something I can do without having to worry about a dozen different points of technique, any one of which can injure me if I get it wrong. Can someone recommend some easy "mindless" things to do in the weight room?

Unfortunately that is not the way lifting works.

If you want mindless, you're going to have to get on a treadmill.

Lifting in a proficient manner that gets actual results requires attention to detail and some thought- and you have to be pro-active.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a thin guy, but very defined and (for my size) strong. I don't know about other guys, but when I see a capable, or muscular/defined woman (not to point of a solid six-pack of biceps the size of her head, but I'm sure some men do) at the gym, or out living a healthy life and having a "smoothie instead of a soda" type of lifestyle, I'm not intimidated or laugh at her, I find it EXTREMELY attractive that a woman takes care of herself, I'm not some douche bag that would go hit on her in the gym ( I have a girlfriend, but even if I was single, I don't like having my workouts interrupted, why would they?) Point is, go lift those free-weights!! A strong woman is a sexy woman! =)

Don't be afraid and all the power to you girls out there !! =)

That's nice to hear:) I am usually the only female at 5:30am at the local Y....at least it's not too busy!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In my gym. There is a ladies room. All the equipment is pink. And it scares me...

Also there is no squat rack or Olympic bar and what am i meant to do with 3kg dumbells?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am usually the only lady in the freeweights section of my gym. I see a couple other girls occasionally, using the smith machine or curling 10 lb dumbells. Don't be afraid to toss that bar on your back and get to squatting. I'm into triple digits for a couple lifts and I started at 45 lbs or less. The bare bar feels like a feather to me now. I've reduced my BF by 3% in 6 weeks. Keep on keepin on, girls.
  • sallychildress
    sallychildress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post...I am spending more and more time in what I call the "jock" area of the gym. I am self conscious about my lack of experience, my weakness and my age (feels like everyone at the gym is so young) but I am just reminding myself to forge ahead for "me". It feels like I have accomplished something when I work out with free weights. I got started in the ladies area but now I spend more time in the general weights. The only problem is that the ladies area has 2.5 lb increments up to 20 lbs and they don't have that in the other area, wish they did for triceps and biceps. Any friends with successes in weight loss & strength training are appreciated. Thanks to all of you who add your comments to these boards in the spirit of helping others achieve their goals!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Unless the gym has some rule against it take the weights you need from the women's area to the general free weight area for your workout. Just be sure to re-rack them in the women's area when you are finished.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Today I was in the freeweights section of the gym and I was the only guy. Six chicks, one guy.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    yes, yes, and yes!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I'm generally not the only woman in the free weights section, but I think in general there are more males than females. Most people (both genders) are working hard and focusing mostly on their workouts.

Not only am I a woman in the free weights section, I'm a visibly pregnant woman (doctor's approval). There's really nothing to be scared of. Start with a comfortable weight and work up, and own your workout! :flowerforyou:
  • franhaselden
    Options
    How do people get over the fear of going in the mens weight room?

I am a fat woman and I already feel completely horrible in the gym, but when I notice that men are staring at me it makes me so uncomfortable that I can't concentrate on working out.

I really enjoy weight lifting. I've been going to Body Pump and enjoy it but I want to try "proper" weight lifting.

My initial plan was to focus on diet and cardio and just try to get slim enough that I can go in the weight room.

I tried to find a ladies only gym. But there is only one and it's so expensive.

My other alternative is to try and find a time when nobody else is in there, but difficult as I work full time.

What I have done in the past is run into the weight room, grab some dumbells as quickly as I can then leg it over to the stretches section where I weight lift with a swiss ball (I find it more comfortable than the bench) but even then I get stared at when I dare set foot...

My biggest problem is that I find a lot of the guys in the weightroom are the kind of guys that think being fat is absolutely the worst thing in the world, and that any female who dares be overweight should be ostracised from society. I've had sneery comments just being /near/ the weight section. I just don't know how people do it.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I feel bad that you feel so insecure at your gym. And please don't let anything intimidate you. Before I started living a healthy lifestyle (diet, lifting, cardio), I was overweight and very intimidated by the weight section too. I also thought people thought I was fat and unhealthy and people were thinking negatively about me. Now being on the other side, I think that's awesome when I see newbies in the weight room and I think you go girl! For every person that you think has a bad attitude, there are more that are thinking its great to see you there. Now that I read your post, the next time I am in the weight room I will make sure to do my part to make everyone welcome.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Love this!! I am by far the fattest woman in the weight section, but truth be told, I dont really think the men care. Most of them are focusing on their own lifting etc. They may glance, but nothing too serious. I go in there with my head held high. Sometimes, I may even look like I don't know what I am doing, but I figure it out and continue on about my day.