I think I'm addicted to ice cream

Options

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i just saw about not wanting the preservatives. i feel ya on that, and i too have a hard time finding frozen yogurt without weird stuff added.

i would go with blending a frozen banana. from there you can add other fruit to it, or add cocoa powder or something, or freeze some yugrt as well and blend that together with it?
    or making ice cream by using milk, some sugar, vanilla flavor or other flavor, and shaking it in a baggie with ice and salt surrounding it. you can prolly use a stevia instead of sugar, and almond milk or coconut milk. i have only tried it using regular milk, real sugar and vanilla extract but it was so good! at least then you will know what is in it.
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get a McDonalds cone every night and have managed to lose 15lbs, so long as you save some room at the end of the day you can have it!
  • urbanplum
    urbanplum Posts: 188
    Options
    Oh man, I feel you on this. I love ice cream, and when I want it, I need the real deal. I used to work at Dairy Queen and could polish off a large blizzard no problem - and worse, they were free! There's always ice cream in the house. Individual cups are too expensive for me. I kicked the cereal-bowl-full-of-ice-cream-every-night habit anyway.

I bought these snack bowls from Pottery Barn that are exactly one cup. When I want ice cream, I can fill them up halfway if I just need to kill the craving, or I fill them up all the way if I really want to indulge because I have enough calories left. That way, at the very worst, at least it's only 1 cup.

Seeing the tiny bowl full is really helpful to making me feel satisfied, for whatever odd reason. Other days, when I don't have the calorie room for ice cream, I just remind myself that I don't need it, I just think I do!

Also, check the nutrition facts. Some real ice creams may be around 180-200 calories a serving and, to me personally, are much more satisfying than a 140 calorie Skinny Cow substitute and worth the extra few calories. Maybe that can work for you, too!
  • klrose2012
    klrose2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Omg! I'm the same way! Anything chocolate related I normally can't even buy it bc it will be gone in one day! However, as I'm sitting here eating it now, I'll tell you my secret, has been working so far... I get the Kemps smooth and creamy frozen yogurt, chocolate peanut butter, have ONE serving in my bowl and before I even leave the kitchen I drink a glass of water. I then pour another glass for after I eat the bowl and drink the entire glass. Got my chocolate/ice cream fix and more H2O. In my mind i like to think that clearing the palate of the chocolate makes me not think about it any longer so I'm satisfied... I dunno it just seems to do the trick :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Budgeting for daily ice cream or whatever other sweet I was in the mood for has helped me. When I first started I thought I had to avoid the treats and that made me crave them more, now I figure out how much I can have portion it out and enjoy it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm....ice cream!!!! :love:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Isn't everybody? If loving ice cream is wrong, I don't want to be right.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I was not that much into ice cream actually. These boards got me addicted to it :laugh: But it fits my calories, so whatever.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Isn't everybody? If loving ice cream is wrong, I don't want to be right.

:laugh: I guess I'm a sinner!
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Go. Get. The. Tub. Of. Ice. Cream... And run hot water in it and flush it down the sink. What did it cost? 4 or 5 bucks at most? If it's not there, you're not going to be tempted to eat it.

Don't waste precious icecream!!! Just fit some into your calorie goal everyday.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that cheaper ice cream is much lower in calories - probably because the more expensive stuff has more cream in it. I can have a decent sized portion for 200 cals. Although I don't eat much ice cream anymore, it's something I can do without really! Chocolate on the other hand..
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Compulsion is not addiction. You are not addicted to ice cream. You eat ice cream compulsively. You can augment your behavior over time, but stop thinking of yourself as a victim of addiction. You aren't one. You're a sentient being in control of your actions.

If you want ice cream, eat ice cream. Make sure it fits in your goals. Buy one serving at a time (think mini haagen dazs cup or an ice cream bar), instead of a pint of half gallon. That way you get to "finish" it but you're also not consuming 2000 calories in one sitting. Take a long walk to your local ice cream parlor and get one scoop.

This may not be cost effective but it will allow you to begin to change your behavior and see what the value in all of this ice cream really is to you.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    I am hitting all my calories and goals and doing great until after dinner. Then, all I can think about is the ice cream in my freezer. I've been busting my calorie goal every night because of this. Grrrr! Frustrating!

It's weird..like I can't stand the thought of it being in there uneaten.

A lot of my friends don't even eat dessert. I feel like I have to have it every night.

I need to join icecreamaholics anonymous.

If it's not there you can't eat it...Or get creative and make your own using almond milk.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow was best thing I changed to, hardly any sugar or salt and calories 100-150 they have choc vanilla/choc mint cones, choc truffle bars, ice cream sandwiches I mean haha yumz. Ben and jerry is really yum but its in a tub so self control can be hard, so when you get things like skinny cow is already prepackaged into a serving size for you so can control how much you have !! I also like Del Monte the have 60 calorie ice cream bars with only 4g sugar, they come in yummy fruit flavors. Don't beat yourself up about it just make healthier choice and know you have self control.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the entire thread so this may have already been mentioned...

You know you want dessert after dinner. You know you are going to eat it. Why not pre-log it and eat the rest of your day around it? That way you've set aside the calories for your ice cream and won't go over.
  • rosa_weston77
    rosa_weston77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found the best thing for me is to not even bring it in the house or I'm the same way! Somebodies got to eat it right lol. I have found that the Sugar Free Kroger IcePix Popsicles satisfy me just as well and they are much easier on your thighs! lol They are super good, especially on a hot day.

Hope this helps!
    Rosa

http://ww.livingbetterfirststeps.com
  • emclean72
    emclean72 Posts: 11
    Options
    I understand completely!! If you can't control yourself if it's near - THROW IT OUT!! :)
  • mlk0812
    mlk0812 Posts: 19
    Options
    I totally agree with you about the icecream. When I want a treat, it isn't typically cookies or chips its icecream! And a big bowl at that lol.

I find the 1/2 cup serving very misleading though. 1/2 a cup varies by brand and flavor. A 1/2 cup serving of talenti gelato is typically 100g and around 200 calories. A 1/2 serving of perry's cookie dough looks less at 170 calories per 1/2 cup but there half cup is 70g! So if you were to eat 100g worth of perry's it would actually be more calories then the 100g of talenti lol