'Explain' your tattoo

Options

Replies

• doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    I got my tattoo when I was 19. It’s about as cool as hemorrhoids and I am not going to explain it.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I got my tattoo when I was 19. It’s about as cool as hemorrhoids and I am not going to explain it.

10 bucks says it's a penis.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Or, no thank you. I don't explain my tattoos or the reasons for them
    Or "I got a tattoo because I felt like getting a tattoo"
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Mine is visible in my profile picture; it's our family logo, designed by me. The four hands represent our family members; the bear paw for my husband, nickname Bear, the dragonfly icon for my niece Mel, it's her personal totem, the sun for me, as I love summer, and the eagle feather for Native American farmboss, great family friend and my niece's guy, Mikal. Hands all around and all of us connected by love ( the heart). All four of us have the same tattoo. I got this five years ago to celebrate the love we all felt when Mikal and Mel came to live on this farm.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

10 bucks says it's a penis.

Probably cost $10 from the grab jar too.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    A shooting star swirl on my back, very girly and cartoonish looking. I got it as a symbol of hope and is loosely based of tinkerbell's wand.

A colourful lotus flower on my calf, each colour incoperated in it represents a different aspect of change in life.

"Aime-moi toujours un petit peu" which translates to "love me always a little". A reminder to myself to always love myself and that if one person can always love me a little through all my craziness then I will be ok.
  • _mlee_
    _mlee_ Posts: 90
    Options
    I have tattoos just because I LOVE them and other than my daughters names I've got nothing that "means anything" I just like them. I'm planning my next big one that i'll be getting done this summer and it will extend down my side and onto my thigh just because :)
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I having a scene that covers my back of a giant red dragon destroying an ocean town and a castle. The meaning of the tattoo is more with the dragon itself that symbolizes...Power, Greed and Vanity! Got this a few yrs ago, though the meaning of the dragon isnt really in tune with how I live my life now...its stiff a bada** tattoo!!
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a Mario sleeve and comic book tattoos simply because I like the art work and it makes me smile.

Why do people feel the need to express their feelings through tattoos

I have a luigi tattoo! Love him!
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Which one? :tongue:
  • jgsimon1
    jgsimon1 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have one on my back with no particular meaning. It's a vine with butterflies and roses. It was my first one I got when I turned 40. My second one is on my leg and it's 3 adjoining heart with my kids' names in each heart....the top heart (my oldest daughter) has two hearts that are joined to that with her children (my granddaughter's names) in each heart .....I guess if I have more grandchildren, I'll have to add to the tat.

I am getting a third one this weekend on my foot.....an infinity tattoo. I want something to represent my commitment to my significant other without the bad karma of having his name put on the tattoo.
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have a few but the one in my profile pic is the newest. I got it on Mother's day as a tribute to my mom who passed in November from cancer. she had a love of elephants and collected elephant statutes and figurines.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a Japanese tribal piece, and inside it says"Made In Japan"...because (wait for it...) that's where I was made, while my parents were stationed in Japan. Curving under it is the copyright symbol and the year I was born. They always joked about tattooing me with the little rectangle, like a toy made in Japan. When I was 21 I got it done by a medic in Germany. He was able to take my dad's sketches from his scrapbook while they were overseas and turn them into the perfect backdrop for the words.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have bird of paradise flowers around my arm. It was my high school class flower. I was an unhappy, withdrawn person in high school, and it reminds me to constantly step out of my shell and not be that person anymore.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    my first tattoo (i dont have a picture of) is my name Crystal & tribal on each side of it.. i didnt think i would ever actually get a tattoo so it didnt have any real meaning or anything. but i would still get it again. its on my lower back.

then i got my wrist tattoos when i weighed 250lbs. it was my first ultimate goal. something i didn't think i could ever reach. but i did. this is my left wrist. its an infinity heart. (yeah its a typical flash tattoo) but its my favorite. its a reminder to always love myself.. it also reminds me of a track.. which i started walking and jogging about that time. it was where i felt that i "found myself". so in a sense its also like im saying i love running.. (which i do). then also another thing is that the number 8 is my lucky number and is around me in alot of different ways.. well, an infinity sign is just like an 8 isnt it.

4sgmbq.jpg

then here is my right wrist.. its the word believe with the b as a heart.. and then a butterfly at the end. i wanted to have something to look down to whenever i felt like giving up that would be a reminder to keep pushing on.. to keep believing in myself. so i got the word believe.. i wanted this whole heart theme (because under my first tattoo the Y to my name curls up at the bottom like a heart in my opinion).. so thats where i decided for the b to be a heart.. and then the butterfly.. well that was supposed to have to do with the whole "caterpillar becoming a butterfly" thing.. but also butterflies remind me of my grandma which i no doubt believe is watching over me 100% from heaven.. so it meant a few things too.. (but i actually hate how that butterfly turned out and plan on getting it covered up and made to a dragonfly or nicer butterfly... which would still be along the lines of changing from an ugly little caterpillar to something far more beautiful)

oasxf7.jpg
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have a few but the one in my profile pic is the newest. I got it on Mother's day as a tribute to my mom who passed in November from cancer. she had a love of elephants and collected elephant statutes and figurines.

I love elephants. Sorry to hear about your mom!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Mine is a purple butterfly with an eye in the wing. Got it after my divorce. Purple is my favourite colour and the eye in the wing is watching over me.

I want to get a diamond with a figure skate in it.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I only have one tattoo and it's a peacock feather on the inside of my arm.

The story and meaning behind it is both dark and uplifting. I used to suffer from depression throughout my teen years and used to deal with it with cutting (I realize how stupid that is NOW but then it was the only way to deal with guilt, fear, sadness and all that was overwhelming). Several years after I had quite and gone through a healing process that has made me who I am today but I ended up with hundreds of scars all over my body, especially on the inside of my forearms and my thighs. I hated seeing that reminder of that part of my life so I decided to take seeing this negative aspect of my life and decided to replace the ugly with something beautiful to remind me to always look towards the beauty in life and to not be consumed by the past.

I realize how silly it seems but yep. That's the story. :happy: :drinker:
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tattoos and I got them because one is of my birth sign and I liked the quote for the other. No real deep meaning.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I only have one tattoo and it's a peacock feather on the inside of my arm.

The story and meaning behind it is both dark and uplifting. I used to suffer from depression throughout my teen years and used to deal with it with cutting (I realize how stupid that is NOW but then it was the only way to deal with guilt, fear, sadness and all that was overwhelming). Several years after I had quite and gone through a healing process that has made me who I am today but I ended up with hundreds of scars all over my body, especially on the inside of my forearms and my thighs. I hated seeing that reminder of that part of my life so I decided to take seeing this negative aspect of my life and decided to replace the ugly with something beautiful to remind me to always look towards the beauty in life and to not be consumed by the past.

I realize how silly it seems but yep. That's the story. :happy: :drinker:

I think it is a beautiful idea. <3