Fat seems a waste of calories to me...

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's just you.

I go over fat almost every day because to me, everything tastes better with fat. My coffee, my meats, my cheese, etc. And TMI sentence coming up! If I don't get enough fat, I find there's more days in between poops for me. And I really don't like being all backed up.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I get sick off high fat foods too But i've had to start eating peanut butter, cheese n oils/butter ect as I was eating such low fat I stopped going to the bathroom :( ewwwww
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Fats are very good at stopping hunger when eating with a calorie deficit. If you find your going over your daily goal try reducing your carb intake.
    Healthy fats include nuts and seeds, nut butters, olive oil, mayonnaise made with eggs, regular fat dairy products. Enjoy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fats are very good at stopping hunger when eating with a calorie deficit. If you find your going over your daily goal try reducing your carb intake.
    Healthy fats include nuts and seeds, nut butters, olive oil, mayonnaise made with eggs, regular fat dairy products. Enjoy.

Except as I said, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me, lol.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Fat. Yummy fat. It would be impossible for me to hit my calorie goal without getting a minimum of 100 grams a day.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Fat is important for hormone regulation and absorption of certain nutrients (Vits A, D and E for example). However, I doubt that, at 40-50 grams a day, you're exactly fat deficient. To a certain point, it is a matter of preference.

If you regularly get tummy issues when eating more fat, the first thing I think of is gall bladder (I am NOT a physician though!!) Have you ever had that checked.

Some foods you may not have listed/thought of that may help your fat intake: avocado (I love them!!!), butter (I use it when I'm making scrambled eggs, also on toast ... it's really no worse than any other cooking oil when used in moderation), coconut or coconut oil (no personal experience there), bacon, whole eggs, etc. I love ice cream, too! :love:
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    OP, how do you feel about avocados? Those have good healthy fats, and might be an option...they aren't greasy at all or have an oily mouth-feel...Maybe that'll help? Or a smear of coconut oil on your toast? Nut butters? Maybe those will agree with you better?
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really wonder if people on here ever listened in health/nutrition class in school. :noway:

Your body needs "good" fats to function. Just because you need to hit your calorie goals to lose weight - does not mean you should deprive yourself of essential macro nutrients. To each their own, but my body feels better when I'm hitting my macros pretty closely.

If you have a medical condition - that is absolutely different, controlled by a doctor - no benefit asking people in forums. Listen to your doctor.

I don't get when people pose questions for opinions and reject all ideas outside of their own that they questioned in the first place....
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fat is more satiating for me, with the exception of 0% v. 2% greek yogurt. The 2% does nothing for me in terms of keeping me full longer. Still, i LOVE fats like avocado, nuts, etc. Yum!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    No, they're not a waste of calories, they're vitally important to proper bodily function.

Vitamins A (vision), D (bone health), E (antioxidants, keeps down LDL), and K (dental, bone, and hearth health) are fat soluble, meaning they require fat in order to be absorbed and used by the body. The body also requires cholesterol to manufacture vitamin D. The brain is made entirely of fat and cholesterol, as are our cell walls.

That. And Calcium.

You can eat all the nonfat dairy and take multivitamins but you wont be absorbing nearly enough of these important ones without fat. So really, it's the nutrient dense foods that go to waste when you're skimping on the fat.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    No, they're not a waste of calories, they're vitally important to proper bodily function.

Vitamins A (vision), D (bone health), E (antioxidants, keeps down LDL), and K (dental, bone, and hearth health) are fat soluble, meaning they require fat in order to be absorbed and used by the body. The body also requires cholesterol to manufacture vitamin D. The brain is made entirely of fat and cholesterol, as are our cell walls.
    This. 40-50g doesn't sound too low, but not all fats are created equal. Make sure you get a decent amount of healthy fat.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Everyone has told you they are important (healthy fats) if you don't want to eat them, then just don't....... Yep you will lose weight but your loss if you don't want help absorbing all ESSIENTIAL vitamins and minerals. Not sure why you posted this in the first place bahha
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    IMHO - fats are the yummiest ever. All other macros wish they could be fat. If I could eat all fat all the time, I would. So there.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hell I go over my fats almost everyday!

You're supposed to go over your fats everyday. Protein and fat macros are to be treated as minimum goals. So go in the red! It's delicious!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I like my creamy Greek yogurt with 10% fat, thank you very much.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really wonder if people on here ever listened in health/nutrition class in school. :noway:

Your body needs "good" fats to function. Just because you need to hit your calorie goals to lose weight - does not mean you should deprive yourself of essential macro nutrients. To each their own, but my body feels better when I'm hitting my macros pretty closely.

If you have a medical condition - that is absolutely different, controlled by a doctor - no benefit asking people in forums. Listen to your doctor.

I don't get when people pose questions for opinions and reject all ideas outside of their own that they questioned in the first place....

this
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Except as I said, it doesn't seem to make a difference for me, lol.

The 20 calorie and 4g of fat difference between Fage 0 and Fage 2% (~7oz servings) is pretty negligible, which is probably why you don't see any difference. Get traditional Greek yogurt, with 10-11% fat and you might noticed a difference.

The better comparison is between a meal that is carbohydrate based with some protein and fat (ie - oatmeal with whole milk and fruit) vs a meal that is fat based with some protein and carbohydrate (ie - veggie omelet with bacon). Odds are, the latter will keep you fuller longer, even at about the same calorie amount, because the bulk of the calorie load comes from fats instead of carbs.

This is even more noticeable if you base your entire way of eating around fats instead of carbs. One of the hallmarks of low carb, high fat diets is the appetite suppression effects (even without going to some the extreme low carb that some do) after the initial adjustment period.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IMHO - fats are the yummiest ever. All other macros wish they could be fat. If I could eat all fat all the time, I would. So there.

First, I :heart: that second line.

Second, why don't you? Low carb, high fat ways of eating are quite sustainable and healthy. If you love fat so much, sustainability really shouldn't be an issue for you. :drinker:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different macro ratio that works best for their body, so what works for other people may not work for you. You shouldn't be cutting anything out completely, but it's okay to play around with your totals until you find the breakdown that makes you feel the best. 50g of fat per day doesn't seem extreme, although it depends on your total intake. Given your target of 1800 calories daily, if you're getting 50g of fat, that's 25% of your daily intake as fat. That's not really very low-fat (it's not high either, btw, it seems pretty reasonable).
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fat is important for many body processes. You need to eat some fat in your diet. Fat protects your organs, keeps you warm and helps your body absorb and move nutrients around. It also helps hormone production. However, some fats are better than others and having too much of any type is not a good idea.