Ideas for no carb/no sugar meals

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet isn't a "weird" way of eating and it absolutely works and is sustainable. I've been doing a ketogenic diet for months and intend to continue this as my normal way of life. Carbs and sugar aren't necessary or needed. I'm more energized and healthy now than I ever was when eating a "balanced" diet.

A low carb diet is not weird. A no carbs at all diet, it sounds simply impossible. No vegetables, no grains, no fruit? At all?
  • SteveyBrule
    SteveyBrule Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've tried no carb and low carb. On no carb, strict paleo, I lost about 10lbs the first week which promptly bounced back.

With my low-carb diet, I cut out processed carbs and bread, but I eat tons of fruit and vegetables - things your body naturally wants to use for energy. Our genetic composition, after about a million years of eating that way, predisposes us to use fruit and vegetable carbohydrates more efficiently. Processed carbs like white sugar, alcohol and bread are new to that (within the last maybe 8,000 years) system and seem to really take a toll on the body.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused.

Do you mean that you are cutting out refined sugar?

No carb/no sugar leaves you with almost nothing left to eat.

I also don't understand diets where the carbs in certain foods don't count. I can get behind the concept of net carbs, but just deciding that a carb doesn't count because it came from green beans or carrots is so strange and foreign to me. I choose to stay at or under 100 g of carbohydrates a day, but I count everything (green beans and all).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've tried no carb and low carb. On no carb, strict paleo, I lost about 10lbs the first week which promptly bounced back.

With my low-carb diet, I cut out processed carbs and bread, but I eat tons of fruit and vegetables - things your body naturally wants to use for energy. Our genetic composition, after about a million years of eating that way, predisposes us to use fruit and vegetable carbohydrates more efficiently. Processed carbs like white sugar, alcohol and bread are new to that (within the last maybe 8,000 years) system and seem to really take a toll on the body.

If bread and wine were good enough for Jesus...
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

If bread and wine were good enough for Jesus...

Ah, but you forget how many extra calories he burned walking that beard around.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    This is day 3 of the metagenics diet. No carb no sugar diet. It has been hard do far but I know it will be worth it in a couple weeks. I am planning means ahead to prevent snacking while thinking about what I want to eat. I need some meal suggestions!! Any ideas would be helpful.

One thing saving me is something I call "egg" pizza's I use a pan make a layer of egg whites, add cheese and any thing that falls into my foods. I change it up often for dinners. I've been doing this since 5/5/14 and I'm down 8lbs
  • kamckinley1
    kamckinley1 Posts: 17
    Options
    it is a metagenics diet. You can eat many vegetables, fruit every other day, I have also been eating shirataki noodles (tofu), lean meats, nuts, seeds....
  • kamckinley1
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions.
  • kamckinley1
    Options
    I TAKE BACK SAYING *NO CARB NO SUGAR* Its a doctor approved "METAGENICS" diet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    it is a metagenics diet. You can eat many vegetables, fruit every other day, I have also been eating shirataki noodles (tofu), lean meats, nuts, seeds....

So you can have sugar every other day?
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just read an article about the "metagenic diet"....here is the warnings:

causes sensitivity to cold, dry skin, temporary rash, fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, muscle cramps, halitosis, irritability, menstrual disturbances, temporary hair loss.....

designed by a company called "healthy transformation", they suggest the use of their shakes, protein bars, supplements, and "kits".....

Okay, how many MFP people are going to tell this young lady to RUN.....

You can diet and eat real food.....bars, shakes, sales pitches, doctor kickbacks......you can't overcome the failure they have set you up for, so you can buy more and more of their product over a longer period of time before you give up and are even fatter.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I'll go the sustainable hard work route of balancing for a healthy loss.