Fat seems a waste of calories to me...

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    IMHO - fats are the yummiest ever. All other macros wish they could be fat. If I could eat all fat all the time, I would. So there.

First, I :heart: that second line.

Second, why don't you? Low carb, high fat ways of eating are quite sustainable and healthy. If you love fat so much, sustainability really shouldn't be an issue for you. :drinker:

Clementines
    Beer
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    May be I'm the minority here but I feel the same way with the OP. I don't try to avoid fat out of the need for losing weight or anything, but somehow I never get enough fat into my diet. I do go for the non fat options often (cappuccino with skim milk, non fat yoghurt and the like) but that absolutely is because my taste buds prefer it that way. Not because I intentionally restrict my fat intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really wonder if people on here ever listened in health/nutrition class in school. :noway:

Your body needs "good" fats to function. Just because you need to hit your calorie goals to lose weight - does not mean you should deprive yourself of essential macro nutrients. To each their own, but my body feels better when I'm hitting my macros pretty closely.

If you have a medical condition - that is absolutely different, controlled by a doctor - no benefit asking people in forums. Listen to your doctor.

I don't get when people pose questions for opinions and reject all ideas outside of their own that they questioned in the first place....

First, I never had nutrition classes :p

Second, I still have 50g of fat most days (more if I go over my goal). It's not like I'm eating fat free... I still use 2% milk etc. But then you'll tell me that it's not good fats... but then I've never eaten good fats, as I've never liked nuts and have never used olive oil that much... My fat has always mostly come from dairy or meat... and still does... so I'm confused!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Set an absolute minimum number that you can tolerate, and get used to hitting that number (e.g., "I will eat 60g everyday for 2 weeks). Then slowly up it to whatever percentage is suggested for you.

I have the opposite problem. I constantly eat fats. And on baking days, I can literally eat half a stick of butter (2 oz.) with the fresh bread... Mmm, now I'm hungry for more butter...

tumblr_mllwz665BX1qdlibuo1_500_zps29734bf1.gif
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I go over my fats every day, and I never reach my other macros. I couldn't live without my fats!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I really wonder if people on here ever listened in health/nutrition class in school. :noway:

Your body needs "good" fats to function. Just because you need to hit your calorie goals to lose weight - does not mean you should deprive yourself of essential macro nutrients. To each their own, but my body feels better when I'm hitting my macros pretty closely.

If you have a medical condition - that is absolutely different, controlled by a doctor - no benefit asking people in forums. Listen to your doctor.

I don't get when people pose questions for opinions and reject all ideas outside of their own that they questioned in the first place....

First, I never had nutrition classes :p

Second, I still have 50g of fat most days (more if I go over my goal). It's not like I'm eating fat free... I still use 2% milk etc. But then you'll tell me that it's not good fats... but then I've never eaten good fats, as I've never liked nuts and have never used olive oil that much... My fat has always mostly come from dairy or meat... and still does... so I'm confused!

The fat in meat and dairy is not bad. The body actually needs saturated fats for things like cell wall integrity and whatnot, and a good chunk of the fats in meat and dairy are actually monounsaturated fats (around 40%, depending on the item in question as well as the animal's diet).

Nuts are actually a so-so source of fats, because they're almost entirely Omega-6 fats, which without much or any Omega-3 fats to balance the Omega-6s, can actually do more harm than good. The ideal ratio for Omega-6 to Omega-3 fats is 1-2:1 (to compare, the Standard American Diet, even on the "healthy" end, if seed oils are still involved, is somewhere around 500-2000:1).
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I think when I eat higher 'good fats'
    my cravings for garbage decreases.
    Just me. I read that you need fat for
    your moods and balance. I'm sure
    there must be something you're
    dismissing that you might find
    appealing.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    I don't really think of fat in terms of calories, just what it does for me. It helped regulate my hormones (yep, thank you, peanut butter!) So while I don't see a need to reach for full fat items all the time for the sake of a belief that it's always the more nutritional choice... If you're craving something high fat, your body knows what it needs for itself- so just be sure to feed it then!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I don't really think of fat in terms of calories, just what it does for me. It helped regulate my hormones (yep, thank you, peanut butter!) So while I don't see a need to reach for full fat items all the time for the sake of a belief that it's always the more nutritional choice... If you're craving something high fat, your body knows what it needs for itself- so just be sure to feed it then!

I never do, lol.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It really wouldn't be a big deal to me to never eat a cupcake, cake, cookie or chip again.
    BUT
    Fat is one of my biggest problems. My biggest temptation is rib eye (grilled, please :) or standing rib roast = TONS of fat. I also love olive oil, avocado, sun flower seed butter and bacon. hmmmmmm, bacon.

I guess everyone is different.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I go over on fat every day, too!

But then I eat almonds every day, so I'm starting out with a high fat number with just my breakfast...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It really wouldn't be a big deal to me to never eat a cupcake, cake, cookie or chip again.
    BUT
    Fat is one of my biggest problems. My biggest temptation is rib eye (grilled, please :) or standing rib roast = TONS of fat. I also love olive oil, avocado, sun flower seed butter and bacon. hmmmmmm, bacon.

how is a good steak a temptation???

Steak is amazing- I couldn't live without it- we have steak almost once a week regularly.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I love crispy, juicy fat. If it makes you feel yucky to eat too much though then don't do it! If there is one thing I have discovered in my experienced with weight loss, it's that you have to find what works for you.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    BUT

how is a good steak a temptation???

Steak is amazing- I couldn't live without it- we have steak almost once a week regularly.

Steak = not so bad
    Bacon =not so bad
    Cashews = thousands of calories in minutes
  • likitisplit
    Options

The thing is that fat carries a lot of the nutrients. So you lose food value by eating more food with the fat removed. Not saying that should change your decision, but you should be aware.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat anything, esp milk. The barista at starbucks always seems confused when I order my latte with whole milk (because I look skinny). What's the point of drinking a latte if it tastes like nothing? Plus it really does keep you fuller, longer.

Also, lowfat cheese is just criminal. And skin on chicken is the best part.

I am usually around 40% fat per day and I'm absolutely fine with that.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I don't eat low fat anything, esp milk. The barista at starbucks always seems confused when I order my latte with whole milk (because I look skinny). What's the point of drinking a latte if it tastes like nothing? Plus it really does keep you fuller, longer.

Also, lowfat cheese is just criminal. And skin on chicken is the best part.

I am usually around 40% fat per day and I'm absolutely fine with that.

That's the thing though... limited calorie budget. Got to pick your battles. Whole milk isn't something I want to spend my calories on, and typically I can't really tell the difference when it's just in coffee anyway (we use 2% at home for the kids anyway so when I use milk, it's what I use).

For cheese, if it's just going to be melted cheese on eggs or shredded cheese in my taco salads, honestly I don't care if it's low fat. But if I'm going to have a nice piece of cheese, I'll take some full fat cheese... I just don't do it that much anymore because one serving of cheese is not satisfying enough for me... but again, not 'healthy' fats anyway.

Someone mentioned chicken, I do like dark meat better, but it doesn't fill me up more than while meat, so it's often not worth the calories for me... As I said, fat doesn't seem to fill me up that much, compared to a combo of protein and carbs. But yeah, major sweet tooth here...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    So you ignore good advice and are under on fats. Nothing to see here. Best of luck.
  • Francl27
    Options
    So you ignore good advice and are under on fats. Nothing to see here. Best of luck.

Well, it's hard enough to stay under my calories and have enough protein most days, sorry I'm not going to lose any sleep if I'm 10g below on fat a few days a week :laugh:

I wasn't asking for advice either... I know where to get fat, if I want to have some. I just don't want to force myself to eat things I don't enjoy. Was just wondering if I was alone with this.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nope I feel better when I eat higher fat and lower carb. It's a lot more satiating.

This! Pass the BACON! :love: