Calorie deficit not the answer?

Options

Replies

• newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    Dump the diet soda. Just dump it.

Why? I'm having a diet soda now am I going to gain back all 111 lbs?

I lost all my weight and leaned heavily on diet soda to feel full. To the extent I drank about a 12 pack a day. The acid in the soda is bad for you. The coloring in the soda is bad for you. The carbonation is bad for you. The artificial sugar is bad for you...

Especially the artificial sugar which they have linked to insulin resistance and other not good things.

If you drink a few diet soda's a day...there is nothing wrong with that IMO. If you are drinking a 12 pack of diet MT dew a day ...it was time to quit.

I may eventually start drinking diet soda when I go out...but been about 2.5 months without caffeine or diet soda...first 4-5 days sucked though.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Dump the diet soda. Just dump it.

Why? I'm having a diet soda now am I going to gain back all 111 lbs?

I lost all my weight and leaned heavily on diet soda to feel full. To the extent I drank about a 12 pack a day. The acid in the soda is bad for you. The coloring in the soda is bad for you. The carbonation is bad for you. The artificial sugar is bad for you...

Especially the artificial sugar which they have linked to insulin resistance and other not good things.

If you drink a few diet soda's a day...there is nothing wrong with that IMO. If you are drinking a 12 pack of diet MT dew a day ...it was time to quit.

I may eventually start drinking diet soda when I go out...but been about 2.5 months without caffeine or diet soda...first 4-5 days sucked though.

Excess of anything is not good. In moderation none of what you listed is bad. If I have a 12 pack of soda in 2 months that would be a lot for me. But if I want one I'm going to have one
  • confetticupcake
    Options
    Yeah, only eating one meal a day and going the rest of the day on diet coke is pretty bad for you. No one really thinks about their organs until they start to give out....which is unfortunate since you need them to function properly in order to stay alive.

Also starving all day and then eating one meal, it is very likely you are eating more than 1500 in one sitting. After not eating all day you will be ravenously hungry and when you start eat it'll be hard to stop eating.

Start eating breakfast and lunch. Eat a smaller dinner. Your metabolism will be faster & you'll feel better.
    How exactly are you starving all day? Are you assuming that if you eat 2500 calories per 1 sitting the entire 2500 calories immediately digest and you don't get any nutrient uptake from that meal as the hours go by?

FYI - I know plenty of people that eat 1 meal per day and are successful.

Successful in what way? With losing weight, sure, but being healthy...no. Our bodies needs to be fueled regularly. No, I do not assume that 2500 calories immediately digest, however eating that much in one sitting and not eating the rest of the day can wreck havoc on your blood sugar, stomach, energy levels, mood, cause headaches, etc. You can get away with eating like that for a while but eventually it'll catch up to you. I know from personal experience.
    Successful is getting leaner, stronger, healthier. You are assuming people who do that aren't healthy. Just because you found that eating one time per day wasn't right for you, you can't assume it's bad for everyone.

Our bodies are getting fuel, regularly, from many factors that you are disregarding.

I have personally practiced IF for months, fasting for 16-18 hours. There were times it even hit slightly longer due to schedule issues. No headaches, mood swing, binges, blood sugar issues. No organ failure, no decreased energy. No digestion or stomach issues. I managed to hit my goals and beyond that in bf% and strength. At the end of my cut my full physical, blood work, urine, ekg, everything was 100% grade A and healthier than I had ever been. How do yo explain all that?

Intentionally doing IF is different than not eating all day and eating whatever for dinner. When you practice IF, most people plan their meal out, making sure they are getting enough macro & micronutrients and a proper balance. When you don't eat all day and just eat, for example, a big bowl of pasta & a slice of cake for your one single meal all day, you are not giving your body the nutrition it needs.

I used to not eat all day and ate whatever I wanted for dinner, not planning it out. I felt AMAZING for several years. I didn't have organ failure, decreased energy, stomach issues, blood sugar issues, binges, headaches, or mood swings. It took a while for it to take a toll on my body.
    Who or what defines what is regular? And do you have any studies that show fasting is unhealthy?
    Regular means eating at regular intervals. Morning, noon, night. I'm not going to search for studies that show fasting is unhealthy. You can fast in a healthy manner, such as IF, where you plan out the meal you are going to eat and make sure you are getting enough macro & micronutrients. Not eating all day and eating whatever you want for dinner, which is what OP is doing, is not fasting in a healthy manner.
    I've eaten that way for most of my life, but the past year and half it's been my normal, energy levels just fine just did a 53 mile bike ride, I was cranky before and still cranky if you ask my husband. Blood sugar and stomach just fine. I've lost a little weight, improved my health significantly. Eating once a day might not have worked for you, but no it's not unhealthy to eat once per day.

Please provide studies backing up your claim.

ETA: Just read your profile, comparing eating one meal of 2500 calories a day to someone starving themselves due to an eating disorder are not even closely the same thing

When I fasted all day and ate what I wanted for dinner, I was actually recovered. I was not starving myself. I just fasted during the day and ate dinner. I ate enough food too. 2000+ in that meal. I still ended up getting sick.

Also since you brought the ED up, when I had an eating disorder despite barely eating my energy levels were great too - I exercised for 2 - 3 hours a day and felt fine. Blood sugar fine, stomach fine, and felt very healthy. My blood work was perfect, drs said nothing was wrong with me. Took a while for the problems to show up.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've eaten that way for most of my life, but the past year and half it's been my normal, energy levels just fine just did a 53 mile bike ride, I was cranky before and still cranky if you ask my husband. Blood sugar and stomach just fine. I've lost a little weight, improved my health significantly. Eating once a day might not have worked for you, but no it's not unhealthy to eat once per day.

ETA: Just read your profile, comparing eating one meal of 2500 calories a day to someone starving themselves due to an eating disorder are not even closely the same thing

Both styles of eating are highly structured. The eater takes extreme control over his/her own body in both situations. I would imagine that both styles of eating also "demand" that only certain foods pass the eater's lips. It seems to me that there are more similarities than you might care to admit.

In any case, please provide studies backing up your claim that your style of eating is "healthy" and that it can be sustained over time. Yours is the one that deviates from the norm, you see.
  • smithcentral
    smithcentral Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All I know is I didn't start seeing a positive change in my weight until I started logging every morsel. Some days it bites (no pun intended). I was on vacation this week and went over more days than not, but it keeps me accountable. I resisted logging for years and wondered why I couldn't lose weight. I had no idea how much I was eating. Small "handfuls" add up.

It's the simplest thing, really. Eat at a deficit. Lose weight.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I saw this linked in another thread, and I was amazed at the answers! The reasons you aren't losing weight might shock you.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Both styles of eating are highly structured. The eater takes extreme control over his/her own body in both situations. I would imagine that both styles of eating also "demand" that only certain foods pass the eater's lips. It seems to me that there are more similarities than you might care to admit.

In any case, please provide studies backing up your claim that your style of eating is "healthy" and that it can be sustained over time. Yours is the one that deviates from the norm, you see.

Did I ever claim that my way of eating was better than anyone else, no I said for ME it is sustainable, because it fits with my lifestyle. And staying within a deficit takes planning but do I worry about what I eat.. only that I'm eating what I like, what meets my nutritional needs and that I have room for dessert as it's important to me.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Did I ever claim that my way of eating was better than anyone else, no I said for ME it is sustainable, because it fits with my lifestyle. And staying within a deficit takes planning but do I worry about what I eat.. only that I'm eating what I like, what meets my nutritional needs and that I have room for dessert as it's important to me.

I never said either way of eating was superior, only that yours deviated from the norm. That being said, I honestly do not think it's sustainable over your lifetime and it might better serve you to learn more ordinary manners of eating so that you can do so and maintain health when you are forced to change (elderly people have many eating issues due to a reduction in senses and normal body functions--not saying that you'll be elderly soon, though, since I don't know you or your age. :) ). It is possible to eat dessert and still eat three meals/day.

That being said, there are some similarities between what you're doing and the control demanded by an ED. I'm not saying the mental issues are the same. I'm just noting the similarities in eating styles.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You're right. You are eating more than you think you are. You aren't a special snowflake with a unique metabolism. And you are not maintaining 230 pounds on 1500 calories. You just aren't. Probably almost twice that.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

I never said either way of eating was superior, only that yours deviated from the norm. That being said, I honestly do not think it's sustainable over your lifetime and it might better serve you to learn more ordinary manners of eating so that you can do so and maintain health when you are forced to change (elderly people have many eating issues due to a reduction in senses and normal body functions--not saying that you'll be elderly soon, though, since I don't know you or your age. :) ). It is possible to eat dessert and still eat three meals/day.

That being said, there are some similarities between what you're doing and the control demanded by an ED. I'm not saying the mental issues are the same. I'm just noting the similarities in eating styles.

Well if it's not sustainable I'm not sure how I got to 42 years old, because I've never liked breakfast. When I started I believed the myth that you had to eat more frequently and I was absolutely miserable. Went back to eating how I prefer 1-2 meals a day just less than I used to eat. Seems pretty sustainable to me.

Does it work perfectly for my lifestyle now YES, does that mean it always will .. who knows, that is an advantage of this I can always change how often I eat as meal timing is personal preference.

The only control for me is staying within my calorie deficit and hitting my macros, the rest is all preference
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You're right. You are eating more than you think you are. You aren't a special snowflake with a unique metabolism. And you are not maintaining 230 pounds on 1500 calories. You just aren't. Probably almost twice that.

There's a lot of derailing in this thread, but you are spot on with this advice.

If you do not count your calories how can you know you're eating 1500 a day? That seems silly. Count for a few days - I bet you'll be surprised.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

There's a lot of derailing in this thread, but you are spot on with this advice.

If you do not count your calories how can you know you're eating 1500 a day? That seems silly. Count for a few days - I bet you'll be surprised.

And OP, before you start with "the whole world doesn't log calories blah blah", it's a logging site, what advice would you expect! Totally agree even if you do not plan to stick with it , you should at least log accurately for a few days to validate your claim of eating only 1500 calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Although I don't count calories (I know many of you are going to say that I'm eating more than i think), i'm quite confident that I never exceed my daily maintenance number. I say this because I do not eat anything throughout the entire day and only drink diet coke. At dinner I eat varied meals with family from healthy to pizza and may have a beer or glass of wine. To the point, I believe my body has learned to compensate by slowing my metabolism, such that I don't gain or lose, despite being under calorie recommendations. I'm 6'1" and 230lbs and estimate eating 1500 calls per day... lifestyle is sitting behind a desk in home office.

Advice anyone? I would like to drop 30lbs before building muscle. Could it really be as simple as eating more often and cleaner calories in the 2500 per day range along with walking or jogging 3 days per week???

I've lost weight lots of times without counting calories. I just aimed to go to bed a teeny bit hungry every night. So I know it can be done. But I'm overjoyed to have found MFP and such an easy way to count calories. Much better way to lose weight. If I ate my meals too quickly I would end up overeating (perhaps that's part of your problem). But best of all, for the first time, maintenance doesn't look the least bit difficult. With only one meal a day to record, it's not going to take you very long to record your calories.

As to metabolism damage, there have been times when I have wondered if my metabolism has been affected by my yo-yoing. If my metabolism were to increase, I have no doubt that my hunger would increase along with it. So I'm not sure it matters that much. A higher metabolism is going to cost you more in groceries :). But I do hope that if I continue with my strength training program I will get some muscle back on me, and an improved metabolism would be a bonus. Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but metabolism is most closely tied to the amount of muscle or LBM you have. If I were you I would reconsider prioritizing a number on the scales over the benefits of lifting weights.

Best of luck!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    This may be totally self serving (:tongue:) But I'm reposting what I said before because it seems that it got lost in the intermittent fasting/ED debate. Though several others have said basically the same thing as I did. :wink:
    It's going to take a calorie deficit to lose weight. You're maintaining right now because you're eating right around your daily usage (some days a bit over, some under, but it works out in the long run to average out ... that's what maintaining is).

So my advice, if you want to lose 30 pounds, is to start with tracking everything you currently are eating. Do this for a good 2 weeks, so you get a decent idea. (You may find that you lose a few pounds doing this, because the very activity of tracking can cause some people to eat less as they become more aware). Take an average (add it all up and divide by the number of days) then focus on dropping 300-500 calories a day off that number. That should help you lose around 1 pound a week, give or take. As you get closer to your goal, drop it to 250-300; the closer you are to ideal weight, the slower you should be losing.

Yes, I'm talking about calorie counting and achieving a calorie deficit. Because, really, that's what it comes down to. Calorie deficit IS the answer ... a consistent, over time calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Meal timing is irrelevant (what you're doing is generally referred to as IF, there are many people who chose this lifestyle and use it to lose, maintain, gain, etc). The type of foods you eat don't matter, for loss - although you want to focus mostly on nutrient-dense foods for overall health. Exercise is good for your health, and can increase your daily deficit, but is not necessary simply for weight loss. It's just the deficit. But it's not that hard to do.

EDIT: I just re-read OP, and realized that he wants to gain muscle after losing 30 pounds. I would suggest, in that case, to not delay in adding in the exercise. Really, start lifting NOW. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. Do a bit of research on proper form, or get a few sessions with a trainer, if you haven't lifted before. Because it's actually going to far easier to maintain the muscle you have now (while eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit) and then build from there when you decide to bulk, than to lose more of the muscle as you lose the weight by what I suggested above and then try to rebuild it. Other than that, I stick with EVERYTHING else I said.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    This may be totally self serving (:tongue:) But I'm reposting what I said before because it seems that it got lost in the intermittent fasting/ED debate. Though several others have said basically the same thing as I did. :wink:
    It's going to take a calorie deficit to lose weight. You're maintaining right now because you're eating right around your daily usage (some days a bit over, some under, but it works out in the long run to average out ... that's what maintaining is).

So my advice, if you want to lose 30 pounds, is to start with tracking everything you currently are eating. Do this for a good 2 weeks, so you get a decent idea. (You may find that you lose a few pounds doing this, because the very activity of tracking can cause some people to eat less as they become more aware). Take an average (add it all up and divide by the number of days) then focus on dropping 300-500 calories a day off that number. That should help you lose around 1 pound a week, give or take. As you get closer to your goal, drop it to 250-300; the closer you are to ideal weight, the slower you should be losing.

Yes, I'm talking about calorie counting and achieving a calorie deficit. Because, really, that's what it comes down to. Calorie deficit IS the answer ... a consistent, over time calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Meal timing is irrelevant (what you're doing is generally referred to as IF, there are many people who chose this lifestyle and use it to lose, maintain, gain, etc). The type of foods you eat don't matter, for loss - although you want to focus mostly on nutrient-dense foods for overall health. Exercise is good for your health, and can increase your daily deficit, but is not necessary simply for weight loss. It's just the deficit. But it's not that hard to do.

EDIT: I just re-read OP, and realized that he wants to gain muscle after losing 30 pounds. I would suggest, in that case, to not delay in adding in the exercise. Really, start lifting NOW. Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5. Do a bit of research on proper form, or get a few sessions with a trainer, if you haven't lifted before. Because it's actually going to far easier to maintain the muscle you have now (while eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit) and then build from there when you decide to bulk, than to lose more of the muscle as you lose the weight by what I suggested above and then try to rebuild it. Other than that, I stick with EVERYTHING else I said.

Great advice. Worth reposting.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Wow I've read some nonsense on this site but this post must get the prize for the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here. Congratulations you've managed to surprise me and make me pity the state of humanity and the lack of common sense in one post.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bump