Diet Soda (Waist size, bloated, clothes, etc!)

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are usually sweetened with aspartame which is a poison in the body.

I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Drink water and have a real soda once in a while.

Are you part rat?

Awww, keep living in ignorance ;)

You should probably take a good hard look at the research and when you do, consider the dosages given to the rodents in terms of mg/kg bodyweight and translate that into human doses.

Then, I would love to hear your concerns.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    go do some research into what chemical *kitten* storm you are drinking- I personally don't think diet soda or soda at all should be included in any healthy diet.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    go do some research into what chemical *kitten* storm you are drinking- I personally don't think diet soda or soda at all should be included in any healthy diet.

Enlighten us on this research you speak of. I assume you read and fully comprehended an actual scientific study and not just someones blog article giving their opinion while citing a study you never actually read and most likely the person who wrote the blog never actually read either.

Because there really is nothing worse that a person who passes along a misinformed opinion of another and pretends that they actually read and understood a primary source that they never actually touched. That is pretty intellectually dishonest because it gives the false impression of scientific validity to "cite" something in the scientific literature if you didn't actually read and comprehend it and are actually referring solely to information provided by an opinion piece which you aren't citing.

Also wtf is a "chemical storm" exactly?
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Coke and if I die early, so be it. I'm as addicted as anyone is to coffee and have no interest in giving it up. It hits my sweet tooth and I would never drink sugar soda (I don't have the calories to spare to drink them instead of eat them).

It doesn't make me bloat, feel bad whatever. It's just flavored water.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    The only noticeable affects of diet soda for me is the strong urge to cut/stab anyone who tries to come between me and my coke zero/diet barq's
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ugh.... I can't stand the taste and feel of all carbonated drinks, including soda. So I'm not sure if I get side effects because I can't remember the last time I drank any soda. Lol. I'd imagine I would bloat though...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No
    No
    No
    Lost 312 lbs drinking 2 to 3 a day

Don't plan to quit anytime soon..... :drinker:
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet - and all other - soda over a decade ago. noticeable results were saving money & it was a lot easier to get my water in! I was immediately pleased that I was no longer consuming the unnatural & potentially dangerous ingredients.

That's it for me! No noticeable physical improvements at all but I had no negative and noticeable side effects I was trying to get rid of. I did not expect cutting soda to help with weight loss or anything else. Thank goodness, since it did not. Eliminating diet soda and all AS was one of the first things I did when I decided to more toward natural foods.

Protip: soda IS water.

The only water I drink is ice in my diet coke.

Lol, j/k. Sometimes I drink diet dp.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The only reason I have an issue with Diet Coke is that it gave me really bad acid reflux problems. I try to stay away from it but I tend to have it when I drink. I used to drink like 6 cans a day. I never drank water. Just Coke. The grocery bill is better now that my addiction to it is gone lol. But honestly if it didn't cause my esophagus to feel like it was on fire I'd be on that!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Are you part rat?

Awww, keep living in ignorance ;)

You should probably take a good hard look at the research and when you do, consider the dosages given to the rodents in terms of mg/kg bodyweight and translate that into human doses.

Then, I would love to hear your concerns.

I actually did this and I would need to consume 53 cans a day, everyday for a extended period of time before the dose would be in the same category as the test subjects.... I don't think my 2 or 3 a day will put me in harms way, especially with the 100+ ounces of water I drink a day on top of the Diet Pepsi..... To each their own though.... :drinker:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I drink up to three diet sodas/day. I've never had any of those symptoms, not in roughly 40 years of drinking them. The only thing that I try to do when I drink them is drink an equivalent amount of plain, filtered water sometime during the day. However, I do that with anything that has caffeine in it. I don't know if it would work for anyone else, but it works for me. I always feel hydrated and haven't got acne or a single wrinkle (at the age of 53).
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

No.
    No.
    No.
    No.

When I started drinking diet sodas, I started losing weight and have kept it off.

Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr. Pepper FTW
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    They need to harvest my blood then because I must be immune to it after drinking it for more than 25 years daily.:laugh:

It's not poison. Taken in SUPER HIGH DOSES probably isn't good though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

mf-130103-2723309569227585536.jpg
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Be careful. Last time I said anything about diet pop and aspartame, a gang of soda lovers jumped on me!! The last statement of your post is a winner for me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

What makes you think I haven't? If YOU don't think it should be in YOUR diet, then don't drink it and keep your baseless accusations to yourself.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions for you That_Girl with regards to aspartame.

1) What is the chemical composition/structure of aspartame?
    2) What are the metabolic degradation products of aspartame?
    3) Are those products or aspartame itself present in any of the "natural" food that we eat?
    4) What is the concentration of those products in things that contain aspartame versus those "natural" foods.
    5) What is the dosage in mgs per kg at which aspartame is toxic in humans.
    6) What is the mechanism of toxicity?
    7) PK and ADME of breakdown products?

You refer to people who do not think aspartame is toxic as "living in ignorance"

Please, enlighten us.

Thanks

wic.gif

wds5.gif

love me some diet pepsi. i don't have any of the symptoms you've mentioned. of course i haven't lost weight with it, either. regular sodas have always tasted funny to me so i think i've pretty much always been a diet girl.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Couple of questions for you That_Girl with regards to aspartame.

1) What is the chemical composition/structure of aspartame?
    2) What are the metabolic degradation products of aspartame?
    3) Are those products or aspartame itself present in any of the "natural" food that we eat?
    4) What is the concentration of those products in things that contain aspartame versus those "natural" foods.
    5) What is the dosage in mgs per kg at which aspartame is toxic in humans.
    6) What is the mechanism of toxicity?
    7) PK and ADME of breakdown products?

You refer to people who do not think aspartame is toxic as "living in ignorance"

Please, enlighten us.

Thanks

I :heart: you.
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone posted this already.

From the UTAH PEOPLE'S POST. Diet soda cut fats, helps more than Water for Weight Loss.

http://www.utahpeoplespost.com/2014/05/diet-soda-cut-fats-helps-more-than-water-for-weight-loss/

Take note of who sponsored the study.
    The study, funded by the American Beverage Association, was published in the journal Obesity.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Never have.