Diet Soda (Waist size, bloated, clothes, etc!)

Options
1235»

Replies

• mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I lost 59 lbs in 11 months drinking diet soda. In stead of eating a sugary craving, I drank a diet cola. Maybe I would have lost my weight quicker, but oh well.
  • RACGuitar
    RACGuitar Posts: 9
    Options
    An extreme amount of pretty much anything is unhealthy, always remember that (: i drink at most two 16 oz bottles of pepsi a day and only feel maybe a little bloated and i burp a lot but nothing long term and my weight loss is going great, it's definitely a lot better for you than original soda in terms of being on a diet, hence the name diet soda ;P
  • hvreeland
    hvreeland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not my personal experience, but I have a friend who is a professional dancer (NFL) and she quit drinking Diet Coke because of her job. She lost 20 pounds in a year because of it! And she's about 5'1", 100 pounds now.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

Nope. Not really. No. And definitely no. I would have had a much harder time losing without the diet sodas.

I occasionally go a day on just water, and there does seem to be a less bloating effect, but none to speak of.

Only danger with diet sodas (for me, anyway) is leg cramps if I drink too many and not enough water.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not my personal experience, but I have a friend who is a professional dancer (NFL) and she quit drinking Diet Coke because of her job. She lost 20 pounds in a year because of it! And she's about 5'1", 100 pounds now.

She lost 20 pounds because she stopped drinking a fluid that has next to no calories in it. She changed absolutely nothing else about her diet or lifestyle, just stopped drinking flavored water and bam...20 pounds gone. Not that this happened to you but a story you heard from someone else.

Well, call me unconvinced by that.
  • Everburg16
    Everburg16 Posts: 101
    Options
    Couple of questions for you That_Girl with regards to aspartame.

1) What is the chemical composition/structure of aspartame?
    2) What are the metabolic degradation products of aspartame?
    3) Are those products or aspartame itself present in any of the "natural" food that we eat?
    4) What is the concentration of those products in things that contain aspartame versus those "natural" foods.
    5) What is the dosage in mgs per kg at which aspartame is toxic in humans.
    6) What is the mechanism of toxicity?
    7) PK and ADME of breakdown products?

You refer to people who do not think aspartame is toxic as "living in ignorance"

Please, enlighten us.

Thanks

fanning-self.gif
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    No I don't get bloated.
    No my face doesn't look fluffy.
    No my pants don't fit tighter.
    No it doesn't affect my weightloss.

I drink maybe 2-3 of those 2 liter bottles annually, probably less. So I'm not a big consumer anyway
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options

She lost 20 pounds because she stopped drinking a fluid that has next to no calories in it. She changed absolutely nothing else about her diet or lifestyle, just stopped drinking flavored water and bam...20 pounds gone. Not that this happened to you but a story you heard from someone else.

Well, call me unconvinced by that.

Ha! I think love you.
  • Shovelita
    Shovelita Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Look, OP, if you are experiencing these symptoms when you drink diet soda, stop drinking it. It might work with other people's bodies just fine, there might be plenty of studies about it that say it's safe/not safe, but if it doesn't work for you, stop drinking it. I can't drink it myself, because I have a pre-existing condition that most diuretics set off. My sisters drink it like crazy and feel fine. Different foods for different bodies.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

No bloating
    No puffy face
    Pants fit the same
    Losing an average of 1 lb. per week.

Nothing happned when I decreased it. I will never quit drinking Diet Pepsi.